2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fellow Z'ers, parking next to other nice cars will not protect you

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm with Kelly A: bought me a car, not an idol! If they chip my paintjob, I'll take it to the body shop & get it retouched. El no problemo! REALITY is: we're surrounded by folks who don't care 'bout other people's things. I've accepted THAT fact of life...Do I enjoy it? No. It's just part of our lives. There are thieves, rapists, inconsiderate slobs, corrupt politicians, L-A-W-Y-E-R-S!!! You-name-it, they're out there, dudes! So, relax, & visit your friendly neighborhood body shop technician.

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 05-24-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:53 AM
nightstorm

I will park away from other cars. I hate it when someone parks next to me when there are 100 empty parking spaces to choose from. It's also annoying when someone parks so close to your car it becomes a struggle to get into your car.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 AM
kneedragger81

Originally Posted by Divergent13
Really depends on what kind of car.

yeahp.....coz the doors go up!
Old 05-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Arondos

If I have to park in a public lot. I'll follow the general next to a curb etc. But when it comes to vehicles to park next to.

Look for vehicles that are well taken care of. If they don't have dings, scratches, aren't dirty and look well maintained it is probably because the driver cares about them and isn't going to want to play door tag with you.

I'd much rather park next to a 10 year old car/truck/SUV that looks to be very well taken care of than a new BMW or Mercedez that's leased and the owner doesn't care about.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DTA = Don't Trust Anybody
Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
BlueZ Brother
Custom Title.

Ahh, timely subject. Recently my brother's car alarm went off in our apartment garage during the afternoon and we were scared to death and slightly pissed, especially since my bro's car had been broken into several times already. We ran downstairs to try to catch who we thought was a robber...and found that our neighbor had dinged my bro's door on his way out. He apologized, and was at least cool enough to stay around and see if there were any dents that needed to be paid for to fix.

No matter how nice the car the perpetrator owns or leases is...I have to say carelessness FTL.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
GSX-R350Z

I've confirmed parking out far does not work. Your car just attracts more attention for thieves.

I always park far away and somehow I can't seem to explain the 3 dents on the side of my car.

Now I try to find corner spaces beside the curb. I just park as close as possible to the curb.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 PM
lionheartednyhc

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
Every time there is a parking thread, invariably, there is at least one reply where someone says that they will seek out another decent car to park next to under the assumption that just because the next guy has a nice car, he will take care not to ding you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Frankly, I don't know how this urban myth got started.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen luxury car drivers (especially female luxury car drivers) carelessly swing their doors wide and clip the car next to them or reach into their rides to retrieve their gussied up toy dog and let their doors hit whatever is in their path (the most guilty culprits are women who drive "girly" luxes such as the SC 430, any Range Rover or luxury SUV, etc.).

A psychology major friend once told me that I park far away and use a car cover because I don't trust people and have contempt for humanity. Because that is 100% true, therefore, I do not discriminate on the basis of brand status and will have equal distrust and contempt for ALL humanity, whether they are driving a Camry or a 911, and will park far away from everyone (if possible) and assume nothing about anyone.

So your saying someone who owns a p.o.s. care is just as likely to be careless w/ his car as a luxory car owner? I disagree. Although I too have no respect for most of humanity...its still a good bet to park next to a good car versus a bad car. Urban myth? far from it. And dude..car cover in a parking lot? seriously????
Old 05-26-2008, 04:59 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen alot of times if someones car door hits someone else alot of the time the wind plays a factor in it, people open their car door and are grabbing some stuff while still in the driver seat and the wind takes the door and blows it wide open and smacks the door. that's why its just best to park in the middle of nowhere and take up two lanes.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:14 AM
minispider

Originally Posted by MRfire
Far away with a car cover.........LOL. Geezus...get over it
^^^...and i cut out round 19" cardboard pieces and attached them with velcro to my wheels so they don't get scratched; and i drive with my car cover on, just the windshield is cut so I can see!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Dear person,

I'm sorry I put a dent in your car. I didn't want to, but I did when I tried to park next to you.

I am not leaving my information because you chose to use two spaces and I just wanted to park in one.
The scratches are because I used a towel that had sand on it to try to clean the dent/paint off. Beaches are fun.

Please look your car over for the dent and scratches and each time you see them, remember not to park in two spaces.

Sorry!!!"
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 PM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by lionheartednyhc
So your saying someone who owns a p.o.s. care is just as likely to be careless w/ his car as a luxory car owner? I disagree. Although I too have no respect for most of humanity...its still a good bet to park next to a good car versus a bad car. Urban myth? far from it. And dude..car cover in a parking lot? seriously????
And dude, I don't put my car cover on every time I park my car (only at night or when I know it's going to snow). Seriously.

And dude, yes, I have seen drivers of nice cars swing their doors wide or are otherwise careless about those cars around them, just as much as the so-called POS drivers. Seriously.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 AM
vektra

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/25/i...t-in-your-car/
Old 05-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Brrcats

I just got my first door ding on Sunday while I was at breakfast. Its barely noticeable but they still chipped the paint. but I guess after a year a small door ding is inevitable.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Kinraze

I have learned over the years that it really doesn't matter what kind of car you park next to, but who is driving it. I have a 94 toyota pickup that I drive around all winter and a couple days a week during spring and summer. Just because I drive that truck when not driving my Z doesn't mean I now give myself a pass to ding anyones doors. I am careful about not hitting someones doors even though I could care less if I got a door ding in that truck. Most people would look at that truck and think I don't care and wouldn't know I drive a Z. It is basically a role of the dice when parking next to people. I have stuck with parking away from other cars. I also avoid parking at movie theaters, restaurants, and if i have to take it to the mall, I park at Sears, because there are less cars and a less desirable place for women to shop.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Turbonium

I just don't park in public parking lots. It is either my garage, my assigned office parking space (where i know the people who park next to me) or my friend/family member's house. If i am driving shopping or somewhere else i just take my other car. Still i wonder if i should apply 3M to my doors.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:13 AM
Brrcats

i dont think the 3M would prevent door dings, it might in very light instances but if its hard enough to ding the metal its going to ding the 3M, just might not leave a scratch, so it would just require PDR, which I guess would be better.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
USMCAraiza

alright so i have a ding on my driver's side. how much do y'all think it'll cost to fix? What has to be done? The toilet plumbing things they sell on tv are definately not gonna work.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Lento

I am not sure about paintless dent removal but I would guess about 100 bucks if it is about the size of a quarter.

If you have to get the whole door resprayed and such, you are probably looking about 200-300

Just got my rear bumper taken off and resprayed = 400!