Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan paint: class action?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:51 AM
evolved326

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zdatsun
What a bummer. Guess I'm one of the old farts with the leather bra. Of course I won't fail to mention after going through the rock chip syndrome on my first bumper, this one after 35,000 additional miles doesn't have any knicks or scratches whatsoever or fade. I guess you could call it PEACE OF MIND. And to think I didn't pay at least 300 to 500 smacks for a clear bra and still complain about yellowing or peeling.........

Try 500-800.

Doesnt matter. You're driving around with a freakin black car bra!
35,000 miles of looking at that ****. No thanks, CHACHING $500!

Whats the point of protecting the fron end if you have to look at the unsightly beard for 35,000 miles?

$500 bucks and Aerospace 303 protectant once every 2 months and you're set.

Oh ya, the clear bras protect the side mirrors and lights.

Last edited by evolved326; 07-28-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:27 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess that's "the new American Way" -- find something that you don't like and sue someone else to make yourself rich.

Wah.

Clear bra on my car fairly early on, but the "black" bra from the first week. The front end of my car is in pretty good shape.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 AM
fast kiwi

This threads still alive??? i thought it was an interesting statment.. just with little merit is all..
Old 07-28-2007, 07:59 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine
Untrue, see my post above. Apparently, other manufacturers use better paint or a better painting process. I'd say Nissan is responsible in some way.
i agree with Nissan using cheap paint. my 02 Maxima had the same problem. rock chips happen, i know this, but the frequency and severity of them on Nissan products is just too much. i see much older cars with tons of miles on them and the paint looks fine. plus other vehicles i have owned never had these issues like my Nissans did.

so far, knock on wood, my 07 is fine........gonna get a clear bra though.

jim
Old 07-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Krux

cry me a @#$% river like some other posters have said you don't want chips don't drive the damn thing. as for people saying this is the last nissan I will own good riddens go drive a damn honda some one will fill your place. its like saying I bought a 500k house and it needs a new roof after just 8 years!!! this is the last syntec home I buy! if you use it, its gonna need work sooner or later. buy a damn clear bra and shut up.

/end rant
Old 07-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by Krux
cry me a @#$% river like some other posters have said you don't want chips don't drive the damn thing. as for people saying this is the last nissan I will own good riddens go drive a damn honda some one will fill your place. its like saying I bought a 500k house and it needs a new roof after just 8 years!!! this is the last syntec home I buy! if you use it, its gonna need work sooner or later. buy a damn clear bra and shut up.

/end rant
Why must you be such a twit? Nowhere did I state that I expected the car to be perfect forever. Answer me this: Do you think it's fair that a new car should need to be repainted after 12 months and ~14,000 miles?

What's really sh!tty is that I do about 30% highway driving, so I imagine most of the damage happened in many fewer miles.

Note: The age and mileage above is when it reached the "needs to be repainted" stage.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Krux

what I think is fair, is that if you want something you have paid good money for to stay in "good" condition maybe YOU should take the proper steps to ensure it stays like that, you have been with the board for over a year so either you can't read or you chose to ignore the chipping issues that others have posted about. and also chose to ignore the solution which is a clear bra. even if the paint is cheap there is nothing anyone is going to do to help you with it. next time research your purchase better.

/twit
Old 07-28-2007, 04:01 PM
md350

My tires are wearing. That's IT, I'm suing Goodyear and never buying their crap again. They act like its common sense that tires wear...****ing morons.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:06 PM
VoKaL

nissan would win the lawsuit....

you really don't have a case without extensive proof which would probably have to be scientific, since rock chips and stuff is expected to happen espcailly on a front bumper..

now if ur car is already rusting or paint falls off when ur washing the car then thats a different story..lol
Old 07-28-2007, 04:07 PM
VoKaL

do u have any pics so we can see how bad ur bumper is?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by md350
My tires are wearing. That's IT, I'm suing Goodyear and never buying their crap again. They act like its common sense that tires wear...****ing morons.
Look, I never said I was sueing anyone. I was only asking because I know this is something that affects a lot of Nissan owners. I think we can all agree that Nissan's paint is excessively fragile, more so than the vast majority of other carmakers.

You're obviously kidding, but think about what you said. If you bought tires that wore out in 3,000 miles through no fault of your own, wouldn't you be in contact with the manufacturer? Would you consider buying that brand again?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by VoKaL
nissan would win the lawsuit....

you really don't have a case without extensive proof which would probably have to be scientific, since rock chips and stuff is expected to happen espcailly on a front bumper..

now if ur car is already rusting or paint falls off when ur washing the car then thats a different story..lol
More accurately, the lawsuit would never come to fruition. I figured as much, but I was asking for confirmation from someone that knows more about this stuff.

Anyway, no pics. I don't have a camera that would focus that closely, and what I'd want to show is the density of the chips/impressions/sandblast effect.

Last edited by Black_Sunshine; 07-30-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 PM
md350

You're obviously kidding, but think about what you said. If you bought tires that wore out in 3,000 miles through no fault of your own, wouldn't you be in contact with the manufacturer? Would you consider buying that brand again?
No, I wouldn't be in contact whith them, I'd drop it and move on. I wouldn't get the same exact tire, but I wouldn't rule out the company for the rest of my life either.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:08 PM
irish27

I have owned 4 Nissans 01 - 06, the paint quality varies a lot car to car. Some colors also seem to be more problematic. The flat black Sentra I owned was very thin and did not seem to have much clear coat at all. The metalic paints have been much better, including the magnetic black on the Z. Ghosn is a real penny pincher and I bet the paint issues can be tracked back to his policies. On the other hand, he is the one who pushed the new designs (Z) so he's still ok in my book.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:57 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But if I damaged a tire because I hit an object in the road, I would not expect the tire manufacturer to replace it.

bill
Old 07-29-2007, 06:17 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to gauge interest in a class action against Nissan for their clearly sub-standard paint. The front bumper and hood of my car are beat to hell after only 20,000 miles. I am mad as hell about this and I know there are others who feel the same. This is obviously a problem across all models - my girlfriend's 2000 Sentra is just hammered.

Also if there are any lawyers or law students, I'd like to hear from them as to what would be involved or if a case could even be made.
I wait for these type of posts every 6 months or so, you find a hack lawyer to do this and I'll sell you a bridge
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 AM
furiousZ

My front bumper = beat to hell at 15K with all my highway trips. Even my hood. I refuse to put a ugly black bra. I need to invest in a clear ...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that was witty and original. Let me know when you can do better than elementary schoolyard insults.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:16 PM
dmw5678

I just had Clear Bra done - @200 miles & 2 rock chips. If was in your shoes I would have the Z sand blasted - and repainted 10x better than a new Z.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by bailey bill
But if I damaged a tire because I hit an object in the road, I would not expect the tire manufacturer to replace it.

bill
Your analogy fails. Paint isn't a "wear item". This is about a certain expectation of durability. I wouldn't complain about crappy paint if I'd hit a deer.

Quick Reply: Nissan paint: class action?