Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z Rear Ended...Insurance Question plz hlp

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:06 PM
FijiZRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Z Rear Ended...Insurance Question plz hlp

Hey guys. So I was rear ended pretty hard in the Z yesterday and ended up hitting the vehicle in front of me. Some crazy lady in an suv hit the suv behind me which hit me and I ended up with my front bumper in the tow hook of the suv in front of me.
So basically they lady's insurance has to pay. My front bumper is ripped in half, hood is dented and bowed up, rear bumper is crushed, trunk is dented up, and driver side rear quarter panel is creased from the impact. Also my left exhaust pipe got pushed in toward the front of the car. I have no idea if there's enough structural damage for it to be a write off.
My question is that since they're going to have to change my front and rear bumper and hood anyways, is it possible for me to get aftermarket parts instead of the oem parts which they're going to use? And how would I go about arranging this? I am willing to pay the difference if the aftermarket parts cost more than the adjustors estimated repair costs. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this or is in the insurance field and can offer any insight. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 PM
UHATEIT

I am an insurance claims adjuster, I deal with this everyday:

Claim needs to be filed with the insurance company fo the lady who caused it all (the one in the back) and once they hear from all sides of the story they should be able to accept liability for the loss. In CA you have the right to go wherever you want for repairs and get a rental car as well. You can tell them you want someone to come and inspect the car and pay for teh damage and you will take it to your own shop (thats how you buy your aftermarket parts). They will also give you a rental car for the estimates amoutn of days during the repair process but the rental will only be good during the time the car is not actually driveable.

They will give you a full copy of the estimate and the amoutn of the repairs and should be paying for dealership costs on the items (oem front and rear bumpers and anythign else, etc.) and you can use that money to buy an aftermarket front and rear bumper or whatever you choose. Just need to find the shop you want to use for the repairs. If the insurance company only wants to write a check to the shop you will be using, just advised the shop that you will bring your own bumper instead of having them buy a new one and they will knock off those items from the cost of the parts being ordered and you can have the extra cash from the check if it was written to the shop. (this money is reimbursement to you for them not havign to buy the bumpers, but you will be reimbursing yourself for the money you put out for havign to buy your aftermarket ones).

Other than that there really isn't anything else. Just amke sure the lady in the back has a claim filed with their insurance company and one thing they make ask when they ask for a statement is: "how many impacts did you hear" and "how many impacts did you feel", it is a way to trick you into saying something wrong by trying to say you hit the person in front of you first and nto because of the person from behing you pushing you into them.

Alright man good luck!

Last edited by UHATEIT; 08-04-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:14 PM
FijiZRacer

Thanks alot for all the great info and advice uhateit. Good to hear it from a pro. This is pretty much exactly what I needed to know. My insurance company and I have already arranged a collision center and made an appointment for the repairs and the rental car. So would I actually have to talk with that repair facility or would I have to call the insurance claims adjuster to arrange the aftermarket parts? And will I be able to get a rental while the parts are being shipped here? Thx again.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:21 PM
UHATEIT

You will ONLY get a rental car during the time your car is actually in the shop for the repairs (as it is not driveable at that time). You will have to order the aftermarket parts on yoru own time and your own money, unless your ins co gives you a check for all of your damages (including parts), then you can take your check and buy what you want and then use the rest of the money to get everythign fixed. If your ins co is cool they should void your deductible as long as the other ins co accepts liability for the loss.

****I would not recommend letting your ins co know you are getting aftermarket parts, the less they know the better. Or else if you start adding extra parts and they find out they can send what is called an "underwriting memo" to the people who have controll over adjusting your rates and they will raise them if they find out.

Overall, just have your ins co take pics/estimates/inspection, write you the check, setup your rental. Then go buy the parts and go to your own shop and use the rental while it is being fixed.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:27 PM
FijiZRacer

Oh ok I see. So i shouldn't go to the repair facility and just have the adjuster come to my house and inspect the car? It won't matter that I already made and appointment for Monday and the insurance already gave me a reference number for my rental? Sry for all the questions, but this has never happened to me before and I appreciate all you help.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:57 PM
z3r0hunter

I personally recommend taking it to the shop, and letting them do the repairs, hidden damage sucks. They can always call back an adjuster.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:28 PM
FijiZRacer

So I should take it to the body shop of my choice and then have them inform the insurance of the repair costs?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Z-ator

sup kelvin...how have you been since the accident?

when i had my accident with the scion when i tried to get after market parts i found out that i had to tell my insurance company before i took it in for the repairs... they told me they will give me the cost of the oem parts and i would have to pay the difference...

what are you planing on getting?

hope everything goes well

also post pics when possible...
Old 08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
UHATEIT

Originally Posted by FijiZRacer
So I should take it to the body shop of my choice and then have them inform the insurance of the repair costs?

your company will send someone out to inspect your vehicle wherever you like. they will be able to pay you for the damages and then you can take the money and run if you wish, but you do want to get repairs and aftermarket parts. so buy the parts with the money and then take the rest of the money to the shop for the repairs. Your company will pay you for the replacement or repair of the parts and since your buying aftermarket ones you will have money to do that with the check your insurance company gives to you.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:18 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If car A hits car B, and car B hits car C, who is responsible for the damage to car C? Is it car A? Is the driver of car B responsible for maintaining a reasonable distance between his car and car C?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:26 PM
hkman78

Originally Posted by davidv

If car A hits car B, and car B hits car C, who is responsible for the damage to car C? Is it car A? Is the driver of car B responsible for maintaining a reasonable distance between his car and car C?

Its car A as long as Car B did not hit Car C first.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
hkman78

depends on the insurance company, if you go thru your own insurance company and your car is not pay off, they will issue a two party repair check, for your and the lien holder. You might not be able to cash the check by yourself. Its better to go thru a body shop of your choice and work out the detail with the body shop.

Last edited by hkman78; 08-04-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:20 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by davidv
Is the driver of car B responsible for maintaining a reasonable distance between his car and car C?
Most accidents of this nature occur at traffic lights or on highways when something backs up traffic. At a stop or very low speed, a reasonable distance can be as little as 3-10 feet.

If you drop to 10 mph on an interstate and someone plows into you doing 55+, guarantee your car is going for a bit of a trip, brakes or no brakes. Just pray a semi isn't in front of you. For this reason, I'll move into the shoulder lane if possible under these circumstances. If I can't, and traffic is stopped (me being last in line, i'll turn my wheels away from traffic.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:59 PM
FijiZRacer

Car A is definitely at fault. By the way I was car C in that diagram... Also I'm filing the claim through the insurance company of the woman at fault. So does that complicate my situation?

Last edited by FijiZRacer; 08-05-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
iceagetlc

Originally Posted by z3r0hunter
I personally recommend taking it to the shop, and letting them do the repairs, hidden damage sucks. They can always call back an adjuster.
What kind of response is your signature looking to evoke? I mean I agree, but you seem to have a vendetta about it. You're not going to change anyone's opinion on young Z owners, just like you can't change the fact that they drive the same car you do every day.

Anyways, the sandwich ordeal seems the perfect event for a full body kit, hood and use the leftovers for a spoiler. Good luck and keep us updated on what you get!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
hkman78

Originally Posted by FijiZRacer
Car A is definitely at fault. By the way I was car C in that diagram... Also I'm filing the claim through the insurance company of the woman at fault. So does that complicate my situation?

Assuming you have collision coverage, most likely you will go thru your own insurance to get it repair first, then your insurance company will subrogate against the responsible party's insurance. You might have to pay deductible upfront, but you should get it back later on.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hkman78
Its car A as long as Car B did not hit Car C first.
Unfortunately, from my own experience, it would be car B. Found that out the hard way in my old Maxima 2 years ago. Insurance companies simply state that if one gets rear-ended and hits the car in front of them as a result, even if at a dead stop, it HAS TO BE because they didn't maintain enough distance. I was at a traffic light on a street with 25mph limit and was a good 5 feet away from the other car when a minivan plowed into me.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 AM
crawfeesh

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Unfortunately, from my own experience, it would be car B. Found that out the hard way in my old Maxima 2 years ago...
Wow, I can't believe that you were at fault for be pushed into another car. I was in the same situation, but on the freeway and they placed blame on A without any hassles.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Florida and many other states if you hit the back of another car you are at fault. Doesn't matter if you were pushed into the next person in line or not. Your insurance will be held accountable for your collision to a car in front of you. Also down the line, whoever didn't rear end someone will make out the best from the situation.

It really sucks when you get a ticket for following too close because some ******* pushed you into the car in front of you. Gotta love Florida cops...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:24 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Unfortunately, from my own experience, it would be car B. Found that out the hard way in my old Maxima 2 years ago. Insurance companies simply state that if one gets rear-ended and hits the car in front of them as a result, even if at a dead stop, it HAS TO BE because they didn't maintain enough distance. I was at a traffic light on a street with 25mph limit and was a good 5 feet away from the other car when a minivan plowed into me.
Thanks. And that is my point exactly. Look at one of these extreme 20 car pileups on the freeway. Car A is responsible for damaging the other 19 vehicles?

We will see how it works in this situation.

Quick Reply: Z Rear Ended...Insurance Question plz hlp