Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone gone from Porsche to Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 AM
fast kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Z and have driven all the cars your talkin bout.. (my dealership is high line cars) here's the scoop...

If your comparing it dollar for dollar.. the Z is a better buy.. its toasts the Boxter (S or not) even if you dont mind spending a little more to get a near new one.. the 911 however is much much more car then the Z but at 80-90K it should be. However if you again look at dollar for dollar.. A four year Porsche will cost the same as a loaded NEW Z, so for me the answer is clear..

If you got a lot more money than it soundz like you do.. buy the 911 (new-newer) if you dont and money is a major concern the Z all round is a far better car.. its nearly as fast nearly as nimble and not nearly as expensive..
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Navygolf13

Great posts from everyone. I have driven the Boxster, the Cayman, 993 non turbo and turbo, along with the 996 turbo. If it was me, I would go with the cayman factoring in price, looks, handling, and performance. The a** end on the 911 is way heavy and gets loose so easy, although it is very easy to recover. The Cayman is in my mind the best of all worlds in this discussion. I personally do not like the Boxsters at all. Just my opinion.

As for bang for the buck I would say get a new Z06. From everything that I have read and talked to people about it is the way to go. I know a guy who has one and he loves it!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Old Chuck

Default Will drive the Z again

Again, I appreciate all the opinions.
For Navygolf, I do like the design of the Cayman but I want a drop top and besides the top, the Boxster and Cayman are the same car. However, the shape of the Cayman from behind is something to behold.
There are some who say that the Z toasts the Boxster but that, I would have a hard time believing. We all like what we like but some cars are just better then others. I know of no comparison where the stock Z bested the Boxster S or Cayman S. I believe the Z is a great car for the money however for those who say that a stock Z will toast any new Porsche then I believe they are speaking with their hearts. The issue is whether a Porsche is worth the extra money over a Z and it seems that most feel it is not. I do appreciate that very little bashing has taken place and I respect the professionalism of all who posted.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
I know of no comparison where the stock Z bested the Boxster S or Cayman S.
You're right about the "toast" folks; they haven't driven both cars. Also, to be clear at least about what I opined above, I don't think there's any way any Z in stock trim could run w/a CAYMAN, even in a straight line, but I would like to see an '07 Z coupe and roadster up against the Boxster S 'vert; I swear the 'ol butt dyno. of mine thinks the new engine is good for at about an extra .4-.5 sec. quicker 0-60, bone stock to bone stock over an older Z. No kidding, I think the '07 only roadster could hang in a straight line, and I'd be curious if the Z COUPE could beat the Boxster in a drag race.

All other things being equal, including the driver, of course , I'm not suggesting the Z roadster could outrace the Box S on a road course, and those who do are in denial. You're right about the final question--is it worth the Xtra $?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the Porsche, BMW or Corvette were a better value than the 350Z, then we would be driving one right?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Darthvol

Exactly, lol!! I will have to admit that my next car a yr. or 2 down the road may be a 'vette, though; I have power lust!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
HitLines

I have during a test drive at Carmax. I test drove a boxster first, then asked the guy to quickly get a Z gassed up. He agreed it was a smart choice. I did not buy either from Carmax though.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by z-u-later
If $s is not an issue with you & you're going to spend it anyway, buy a new '06 Z, upgrade the suspension & install a TT. I guarantee you this setup will beat whatever Porsche you're looking at hands down.
Not everything is about speed & power.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 AM
PM-Performance

My brother in law has a 96 Carerra C4 I believe.
I drove the car a few times. IMO its a great car, and it is a Porsche, so you cant lose.
Comparing the two though price wise though, I would take the Z over most NA Porsches.

Now if you talking TT then its a diff story, but I looked and even well used ones are more then double the price of a Z new.

Handling wise I think my Z handles pretty damn close to his Porsche. I dunno if I would beat it , but things would be pretty close, which would make me happy enuff
Straight line wise, i think I would wipe is @$$
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some who say that the Z toasts the Boxster but that, I would have a hard time believing. We all like what we like but some cars are just better then others. I know of no comparison where the stock Z bested the Boxster S or Cayman S. I believe the Z is a great car for the money however for those who say that a stock Z will toast any new Porsche then I believe they are speaking with their hearts. The issue is whether a Porsche is worth the extra money over a Z and it seems that most feel it is not. I do appreciate that very little bashing has taken place and I respect the professionalism of all who posted.

your welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozvR3...elated&search=
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Old Chuck

Default Davidv

As far as the best value for the dollar, I think the Vette wins even over the Z.
The Vette will run with cars that cost twice as much such as the Porsche turbo or even the Ferrari and Lambo. It is an awesome machine of speed and check the track times as well. I drove several but do not like the feel with pushing it.
I know it will run great times on a course and if you just trust it will pull itself through however, I do not like the feel as much as some others. But for the money, it is the best bang for the buck in my book. However, at mid 40's to start, it may be too high for some but that does not take away from the value of what you get...
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Old Chuck

Default Darthvol

A run between an 07 Z and an 07 3.4 Boxster would be interesting.
I know the Boxster 3.4 has run 0-60 @ 4.8 and 1/4 at 13.2 at 107 per R&T. Will also top out at 171 give or take. If any stock Z can run these speeds then it would be great but don't think a Z drop top with two hundred extra pounds could do it. The Boxster however is a drop top and weighs under 3100 with 295 hp.
One more thing, if you do like power and speed, do check out the Vette when the time is right. Does not feel as connected to the road as the Porsche but it is a bad boy....Just push down and hold on.........
Old 08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A run between an 07 Z and an 07 3.4 Boxster would be interesting.
I know the Boxster 3.4 has run 0-60 @ 4.8 and 1/4 at 13.2 at 107 per R&T. Will also top out at 171 give or take. If any stock Z can run these speeds then it would be great but don't think a Z drop top with two hundred extra pounds could do it. The Boxster however is a drop top and weighs under 3100 with 295 hp.
One more thing, if you do like power and speed, do check out the Vette when the time is right. Does not feel as connected to the road as the Porsche but it is a bad boy....Just push down and hold on.........

http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...ame=Compare%21

07 Z's have posted 1/4 times of 13.3
Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
mwest300zx

Chuck,

If you are not going to track the car on a regular basis and money is not a big obstacle get what will put that smile on your face. It sounds to like you want to be talked into a Porsche. That being the case I would go for a 2 maybe 3 year old Porsche of your choice. I don't believe you can really go wrong whatever you decide. I'm the guy that owns 6 droptops amongst other non-drop top vehicles. The only car I bought new was my 04 Z Roadster. My Boxster was 2.5 years old with 17k miles on it, saved over $20k vs. new. My Miata and other Z were 2yrs. old when I got them. Luckily have had zero problems with any of my vehicles. Where I could I got the extended warranty. Go for the Porsche of your choice and enjoy it. You sound like you are closer to my age than most of the people on this sight. My feeling is, you only go round once and if your not going to destitute your family do what will put that smile on your face.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Nice responses guys.......If i were in your situation chuck I probably wouldnt buy the Z. Dont get me wrong, i love my car and it performs very well for the price, but it has one major flaw...price. The car is starting to drop in the low teens so now every little ****-ant in America wants one. The Z does get its fair share of looks from all sorts, but its getting even more from people i dont want....cops. You said image and cache wont play in your decision making but i guarantee it will come back to haunt you.

The Z still is the best bang for your buck though. Good luck
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++111111111111111111 1111111. Really pisses me off. After all the ca$h and time you invest. Now you have too deal with snot nosed punk kids rocking a Z. Takes the car down a notch. Hope we don't get to the Honda Civic "ricer" level anytime soon.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Old Chuck

Default MWEST300zx

Before I came to this discussion, I was locked onto a newer Porsche Boxster.
I have re looked at the Z because several folks suggested I take a second look.
As an older person, I tend to look closely at what I spend my money on.
The Porsche put the biggest grin on my face of all the cars I have driven. The BMW ZM was fun with its smooth strong pulling six and the Vette was really a trip to punch and hold on but the Porsche did it best for me.
I was looking at a 1-2 year old Boxster so someone else could take the depreciation hit. When the 08's hit there will be more 3.4 Boxsters out there. A 4-6 year warranty would be nice.
I liked the Z but it just did not put the perma grin on my face but will take another look at the 07 Z. Being older, I tend to really process these decisions.
When I buy, I never want to say "I wish I had" so I take my time.
Thanks for the words of wisdom and enjoy your array of vehicles.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Navygolf13

As the feeling is here, I dont think you can go wrong with the cars you are talking about. That being said, I just have never like the Boxster personally, but that is why there are so many makes and models of cars, right? Anyways, whatever you get definately make it so you dont look back and say I wish I would have.....

Enjoy! And do do what my father-in-law does and never takes his 911 out unless the weather is perfect....he says they are not meant to be driven in the rain.....but I think it rains in Germany too, right? LOL!! Anyways, enjoy the car!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:35 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before I came to this discussion, I was locked onto a newer Porsche Boxster.
I have re looked at the Z because several folks suggested I take a second look.
As an older person, I tend to look closely at what I spend my money on.
The Porsche put the biggest grin on my face of all the cars I have driven. The BMW ZM was fun with its smooth strong pulling six and the Vette was really a trip to punch and hold on but the Porsche did it best for me.
I was looking at a 1-2 year old Boxster so someone else could take the depreciation hit. When the 08's hit there will be more 3.4 Boxsters out there. A 4-6 year warranty would be nice.
I liked the Z but it just did not put the perma grin on my face but will take another look at the 07 Z. Being older, I tend to really process these decisions.
When I buy, I never want to say "I wish I had" so I take my time.
Thanks for the words of wisdom and enjoy your array of vehicles.
Nice talking to you. The 350Z is not for you. Get yourself something else.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I1DER

I'm an 'older' guy too. I bought a new Porsche years ago for its legend and styling. It was a lousy bang for the buck. I don't regret it, but because of the high maintenance cost, it's not a name plate I would buy again. Maybe I was just unlucky. I spent a lot of money on oil, a quart every other tank. The dealer said that was normal from the beginning. Not for me.

I also did a cross-country trip with a friend last summer who has a boxster(non s). He enjoyed driving my Z much more than his car and was forever complaining about the money he had to keep dumping in it.

I'm slanted in my opinion as I put a lot of miles on a car, much on country back roads. I love driving the Z. Reliability and longevity are more important to me than straight-line power performance which I'm sure you can get from some stock Porsches.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Old Chuck

Default Will still do another drive in the Z

Will still take another drive in an 07 just to see if I still feel the same way.
Who knows, this time I might get the perma grin from the Z.
But again, I do appreciate all the professionalism on this board. I have enjoyed the dialog as much as any board I have visited. And who knows, I just may be a permanent member down the road. You never know where the journey may lead.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from Porsche to Z