Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Quick question about MT

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 AM
AlmostJesus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about MT

Don't know if this is the right place to ask.

I've been driving MT for about a year now, I shift smoothly, drive smoothly, I think I'm about average. BUT...believe it or not, the thing that really gets me is when I'm driving slow in a parking lot/over speed bumps.

Say I'm going 10mph in a parking lot and I approach a speed bump...if I slow down without pushing in the clutch of course the car will get a little bucky/jerky so I push in the clutch and go over the curb slowly and then slowly let out the clutch again while giving it gas. But my question is, while I'm letting out the clutch slowly and giving a LITTLE bit of gas...enough to keep the car from stalling but enough to get it moving smoothly, is that puting wear on the clutch? Basically I'm getting the clutch to the engagement point and slowlyyy letting it off as I give my car some gas to move smoothly. I hope this is the correct way to do it. Because you know how it is when you're driving in 1st gear in a parking lot and you slow down and then accelerate abit without pushing the clutch in...it's nota very smooth ride.

That was my first question, my second question is (and I know it's been posted in the 100 questions thread, but half the responses were impossible to understand...because they were typed like this..."LAWL U HAF 2 DOWN SHIFT IN 2 SEKUND GEER N DEN BLIP TEH GAZ PEDAL 2 MACH DA RPM UV TEH NEXT GEER U STOOPID"

So...I'm looking for a better response. What I do is before I take a corner I push in the clutch, pop it into second, blip the accelerate to about 2500 rpm or so and then slowly let up on the clutch as I give it a bit of gas to smooth it out. Am I doing everything fine? because I always worry...I think I'm just over worrying.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 AM
enth05

I think your overworrying. I never really pay attention when Im driving now, it just became habit for me on the second thing but on the first question about the speed bumps, I do the same thing. Thats not saying its the right way, just saying its the same way I do it.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 AM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you are doing everything just fine. without being in the car with you there is no way to be sure but from what you described you won't have a problem.

Enjoy your car.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 AM
AlmostJesus

Ok, I was just worrying because I've heard about the Z's clutch and how fast it wears out due to not being use to how high the biting point is
Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 AM
AlmostJesus

Originally Posted by 350zHalleck
sounds like you are doing everything just fine. without being in the car with you there is no way to be sure but from what you described you won't have a problem.

Enjoy your car.
Ok. thats great to hear, thanks guy
Old 08-08-2007, 04:13 AM
AlmostJesus

Also one more thing, when I push in the clutch in first gear while going slow..sometimes it makes a loud clunking sound...never heard it in any of my other cars before..but then again I've heard the Z is noisy
Old 08-08-2007, 04:27 AM
BJX
Banned

Lawl U Haf 2 Down Shift In 2 Sekund Geer N Den Blip Teh Gaz Pedal 2 Mach Da Rpm Uv Teh Next Geer U Stoopid
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Start and stop driving (speed bumps for example) can be difficult. Practice and you will be fine.

Corners. Cornering techniques can sound complicated because members will often talk about racing techniques. Brake before the corner. Downshift if you wish. I like a little gas through the entire turn to keep some torque on the rear wheels. The turn should be smooch, and the Z should feel secure.

Attend HPDE, and ride with a pro. Autocross is inexpensive. Club members will be more than happy to give you a ride-along.

I have been driving a manual transmission for more than 40 years, and still screw up every now and then.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 AM
BJX
Banned

Originally Posted by davidv

40 years
lol ur old
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by AlmostJesus
Ok, I was just worrying because I've heard about the Z's clutch and how fast it wears out due to not being use to how high the biting point is
53,000 miles on my Z, and I spend weekends either drag racing or autocross. The clutch is fine (knock on wood). Besides, the clutch, like the tires, have a useful life. They are not designed to last forever.

Last edited by davidv; 08-08-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by BJX
lol ur old
LOL. Born 1949. I have never bought a car with a automatic transmission. Never.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 AM
BJX
Banned

I like you. People need to follow your example.

Cheers!!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, why are you almost Jesus?

I am bored.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 AM
roast

So...I'm looking for a better response. What I do is before I take a corner I push in the clutch, pop it into second, blip the accelerate to about 2500 rpm or so and then slowly let up on the clutch as I give it a bit of gas to smooth it out. Am I doing everything fine? because I always worry...I think I'm just over worrying.
That's close, but not quite right. Clutch in - select gear and blip throttle - clutch out. You should NOT have to let the clutch out slowly, you should not have to give more gas after you've blipped the throttle, and you should not feel the car jerk at all(it should be completely smooth). Don't blip the throttle to 2500, blip the throttle to where the RPM are going to be in the gear you're selecting.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by roast
That's close, but not quite right. Clutch in - select gear and blip throttle - clutch out. You should NOT have to let the clutch out slowly, you should not have to give more gas after you've blipped the throttle, and you should not feel the car jerk at all(it should be completely smooth). Don't blip the throttle to 2500, blip the throttle to where the RPM are going to be in the gear you're selecting.
haha its tough sitting in my desk trying to visualize what I do when I downshift But I do the same thing: clutch in - gear select - blip - clutch out when the revs are at their highest (matched of course).
Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 AM
singh

Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Zazoozle

I don't think its the Z's clutch, I just think its peeps who don't drive right ( don't want to offend anyone hehehe!)
3 people learned to drive MT on my last car, including one incompetant person (my best friend who is a terrible driver), and the clutch was fine. So I don't really know how people go about screwing it up, but as long as it doesn't make any terrible noises or you stall it do something else weird, it sounds like u will be just fine!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
NGZ

One thing to get used to is where the revs of a gear are, at any particular speed. Also note how many RPMs separate gears.
E.g. I think if you're downshifting from 4->3, the RPM of gear 3 will be about 700rpm(?) higher than gear 4. When you blip the throttle, that's what RPM you're aiming for (your gear 4 RPM + 700).

One thing you can do is set your shift light at something comfortable like 3.5K RPM. Next, just practice blipping the throttle so that you hit exactly 3.5K RPM every time. Now practice driving around, shifting up at your 3.5K RPM redline, and downshift whenever your revs drop below ~2.8K RPM. When you get more comfortable, you can raise your shift light, until you get comfortable modulating your throttle at any RPM.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Ztalker

I have been driving a manual transmission for more than 40 years, and still screw up every now and then.

must be after a few beers
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 AM
lilquazyvietboi

ur first question... u will wear out the clutch no matter what you... for ur case... it isnt significant enough to change the way u handle speed bumps. unless u want ur clutch to last about a year later... it's in bad condition already anyways?

2nd question... like many others said... hard to explain downshift... i dont blip the throttle like many here does... i actually to try match them to the correct rpm... not just blip just because of the reving up a little. u can handle corners in 2nd or 3rd... depending on how fast u want to exit out the corner. i actually apply the brakes during "getting into gear"... i feel that if u brake while u downshift... u dont need to rev up as much, cause ur slowing down anyways, therefore lesser rpm.

to do it right... it is actually depends on current speed and current rpm and... the actual cornering speed. u are a smart guy im sure u can figure it out... if it is smooth.. u are doing it right.

ill admit... 60% of the time when i have no passenger... i tend to get sloppy.. but when i have a passenger... i try to shift the best i can. so dont worry too much. a year should get u in the hang of downshifting.

it's hard to explain bro... but what most are saying here is pretty much what it is. most of us figure this out be trial and error... we felt it smooth... so we assume it is correct... but there's no correct way... just make the passenger feel like .. u know u can drive... u want it smooooth

Last edited by lilquazyvietboi; 08-08-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Quick question about MT