Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan 350Z vs. Mazda RX8

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Pork Chop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red car is actually one of the earlier prototypes that debuted around the same time as the gold/orange? Z concept in early 2001. There is a more recent model that was tested by Road and Track. Here's a link to the pictures:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...eID=115&page=2

The weight listed in that article was 2970 lb. In an interview with one of the marketing execs, the weight target was said to be 1260 kg (2778 lb). Whether they can manage that remains to be seen.

Torque is expected to be 162 (sorry, I can't remember the exact rpm's). The hp/torque numbers are remarkably similar to the S2000.

Pricing is speculated to be in the $26-30K range. The car is expected to be released as an '04 model sometime during spring 2003.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:13 PM
morganjd

Originally posted by rai
those are nice pictures but are almost surely not production ready, that is either a computer rendition or a show car. Look at the cross drilled brakes, exhaust in rear bumper. Remember the early pictures of the Z with no antenna different wheels, different interior trim. I just think when the real car comes out it will be a little different. Also the pictures provided are the beauty shots, notice no profile pictures.

Does anyone know the expected curb weight or torque (I might have missed that). If it has torque below 200 lb ft it will be less responsive than the Z.

Either way I am glad to see these types of cars making a come back, instead of another SUV/van/ or truck.

... And still ugly!
Old 08-02-2002, 11:19 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It looks like a fish trying to get air

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...eID=115&page=2
Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 PM
barnicleboy
Banned

Default Re: Nissan 350Z vs. Mazda RX8

Originally posted by zane11
I think this is a comparison alot of us are waiting for. I'm giving it to the Z, but you know that this match up will be very closely looked at and there will be many different opinions. Around same price I htink almost same performanceZ wins there, but RX8 got 4 seats I odn't care but some people do.

What are your thoughts ?
Really we should all be waiting for the RX-7 succsessor due on in 04. along side the supra.
The RX-8 was a bid from MAzda to get the rotary back in the door. They were not allowed to bring back the real 7, ford wanted something kinda new, with more guarantee to succedeed thus it had to cater across the board. so this is it.
Its not meant to compete with the z, its a coupe.

The platform will however be shared with the upcoming new miata, the rx-8, the future rx-7.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:53 PM
vanstorm16

The more I look at the RX8, the more I like it. Its not going to change my decicion on getting a Z though!

I've never been a big Supra fan. Always thought of it as a "land yacht". It seems like Toyota just sits back, let's people like Nissan create a vehicle and then go out and just take all the good things from the Nissans and Mazdas and make a car that just eclipses their specs without creating a car that has a lot of identity.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:21 PM
m477

Seriously people, I know that this is a 350Z board and I expect people to favor the 350Z over other cars, but it really pisses me off when people use untrue statments and bullsh*t rumors to diss another car.

1) Looks are a matter of OPINION, they are totally SUBJECTIVE. A car is not a POS because you personally don't like the way it looks. I'd imagine that people putting down deposits on the RX-8 think that it looks better than the Z. Who is really 'right'?

2) The RX-8 will likely outhandle the Z. It will weigh 200-300 lbs less and Mazda has made a name for themselves with the handling of their vehicles. What sport compact cleaned up in the C&D comparo and was also the only economy car chosen for the best handling shootout in R&T? Was it the Nissan Sentra? No, it was the Mazda MP3. If Mazda can produce such good results in such a cheap car, imagine what they can do in a more expensive one.

3) If you think that the RX-8 is a Ford, then by the same logic you must also think that the Z is a French car. The RX-8 was designed, engineered, and will be built in Japan.

4) The RX-8 will probably cost less than the Z. After talking to several insiders at Mazda, R&T clamied that "a fully-equipped, top-of-the-line model... could come below or at the $30,000 mark."

5) Finally, the RX-8 is part of this new wave of sporty/sports cars along with the 350Z, WRX, and Evo 8. Show some respect, we're all on the same side. The REAL enemies are the morons in bloated SUVs that take up multiple lanes and parking spaces and run over smaller, sporty cars like ours.

-Matt

P.S. - Yes, I do have a 350Z on pre-order.

Last edited by m477; 08-03-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Lee3Z

I have been a fan of Mazda as well as Nissan. Have owned 2 Z cars and 2 RX-7's. Still have my 1993 Mazda RX-7 TT Regardless of the shape of the new RX-8 I'm sure it will be and outstanding car just as is the new Z. Looks are in the eye of the beholder. I am sure there will be many people that like its looks and that it will give sports car performance and hold 4 people. pre-ordered 350Z, Super black,aero, 6 MT.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:59 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I rather like the RX-8, but I prefer the 350Z. They still strike me as direct competitors though, in terms of price and performance.

It is worth bearing in mind who owns what car company. Sure the Aston Martin Vanquish is uniquely British, built and designed in Britain, but it still has Mondeo door handles (not that that would stop me from owning a Vanquish, but you see my point).

Does anyone know when or if the new RX-7 is coming out, orhave any conceptual pictures? It used to be my understanding that the RX-8 would be the new RX-7 but now I hear Mazda is working on a new RX-7. Of course, reading Top Secret is like reading the Automotive Enquirer.

Last edited by Traffic; 08-04-2002 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:58 AM
NissaNZ

It looks like a Ferrari 360 Modena rip-off, and don't forget who owns mazda.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:23 AM
rai

Originally posted by m477
4) The RX-8 will probably cost less than the Z. After talking to several insiders at Mazda, R&T clamied that "a fully-equipped, top-of-the-line model... could come below or at the $30,000 mark."

I'll believe that when I see it. A fully equiped top of the line miata is pushing $30K. I don't see this car beating the Z for value. If I had to bet I'd say the price will be in the $27-37K range.

As for out handeling the Z? How exactly does that work? I mean you make a FWD car with aftermarket suspension equipment and all of the sudden your not yet released RWD sports coupe can out handle the Z... OK I thought it was a little presumptive of the S2000 crowd to say the Z was no good in the twisties, but at least the S2000 is a real car, not some show car.

Anyway the real test of a car is not in some lateral acceleration or slalom speed, but out on a race track. Put a profesional driver at the wheel with a 350Z against a RX-8 on just about any track and I'd say the Z will win. IMO.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Slexis200

Default wrong pictures guys

You all are looking at the OLD concept, the newer one is very nice. Its gonna give the G35 alot of competition. Its extremly sporty, and should be quick too, i dont think it'll be faster than the G35, but it should move. Its got very cool style especially those suicide doors. And it will start at under 30k. As for being Z competition?? Thats a 4 door 4 person, this is a 2 door 2 person, theyre in different classes. But i still think its going to handle amazing nd be a great car!

p.s. Look for the newer concept Yellow one, which is more of what the car is going to look like!
Old 08-04-2002, 05:29 AM
m477

Originally posted by rai
As for out handeling the Z? How exactly does that work?
Let's see, both cars are very rigid, have excellent suspensions and RWD.

But the RX-8 weighs 200-300 lbs less with slightly better weight distribution (due to the compact rotary engine). It's the same reason why a 350Z will outhandle a MK4 Supra or a Z32 - all other things being equal, more weight makes it harder to change direction.

And yes, Mazda is generally regarged has having better handling cars than Nissan. Perhaps you've heard of the RX-7? The 3rd gen pulled .98g bone stock and dominated at the track in its heyday. The Front-Midship layout is a big advance for the Zs, but every RX-7 has had it since 1979.

I still think that the Z will be more fun than the 8 which is why I chose to buy it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go around foolishly thinking that it will be the best car in every category with no facts or reasoning to back up my opinion.

Last edited by m477; 08-04-2002 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:42 AM
SunsetZ

You do have to love the yellow on the seats, steering wheel, and instruments to match the car. That will look sharp if it makes it to production.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:16 AM
jisidoro

Default RX5?? What do you think??

I think mazda should drop the new renesis into the miata, and call it the RX-5 (as opposed to MX-5).. Think about it: 240HP,
2400 lbs, 10lb per HP!! on a mature and well tweaked chassis
setup. That car would just rock.