Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Insurance Q: Diminished Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:35 AM
davidz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Q: Diminished Value

I got involved in an accident last week, and I'm the at-fault driver.
And I just found out that due to my residency in Georgia, I'm eligible to get compensated for "diminished value" from my insurance company.

My question is,
When is the right time to bring this up to the auditor?
Should I do it after the final estimate for repair, so that the auditor can't influence shop to lower the repair estimate? Or, should I do it after the car is repaired?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:19 AM
gjoey66

i just went through this...doesn't matter what the shop does, much at all...make sure though that the shop knows your going to be **** about fixing everything that way they replace every last clip because your diminished value does depend on the cost of the repair. So the insurance company will be really hush hush on dimenished value and make it sound like a pain in the *** but it's worth it man. you'll end up having to hire your own appraiser...who will submit a report on the diminished value of the vehicle...if it's lower than the insurance companies initial guess they'll just pay you that ammount...if it's much more they'll hire their own appraiser and negociate something in between...the sweet thing on mine was that their appraiser came in 5 hundred dollars more...then the idiots had to actually pay me the higher ammount...i got a 3k check for about 8k in repairs to my fiance's scion TC...so i was glad that she actually made out nice on the deal since i banged up her car. Diminished value was kind of forced on insurance companies and it's worth you time to go through all the painful steps...cause you end up making out nice...and you should...you car isn't worth the same after an accident, we all know that
Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posting insurance questions on message boards:

If you want a bunch of guesses from people who probably really don't know the answer. message boards are fine

If you want a real, correct answer, just call your insurance agent.

bill
Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
gjoey66

Originally Posted by bailey bill

If you want a bunch of guesses from people who probably really don't know the answer. message boards are fine

bill
problem with that is that my insurance agent made me jump through all sorts of hoops and I almost gave up...finally someone else told me to follow through and it paid off...very well. yes, your insurance agent knows the right answer...but remember they're in the business of taking in as much "premiums" as they can while minimizing they're pay outs. you'll have to watch your own butt on this one.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bailey bill

bill

so very true
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gjoey66
problem with that is that my insurance agent made me jump through all sorts of hoops and I almost gave up...
And no matter what someone on a message board tells, even if its correct, its still the insurance company that calls the shots.

yes, your insurance agent knows the right answer...but remember they're in the business of taking in as much "premiums" as they can while minimizing they're pay outs. you'll have to watch your own butt on this one.
No, not really. Insurance agents are in the business of finding new customers, and keeping the ones they have.

bill
Old 08-27-2007, 05:07 PM
gjoey66

My only point is that insurance companies make it difficult to get through the process but persistance will pay off. The only time an insurance company will make the final call with me is if i'm completly satisfied...if not there are legal ways in which to resolve these conflicts.

secondly, I think you're confusing a sales agent with the collision underwriter...my agent who sold me my policy had nothing to do with the process.

remember they originally posted to ask for advice about how to handle it...it's not productive to just tell them take what the insurance company gives you...they might give up after the 10'th call never having heard that companies put all of us through this process and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
davidz33

Thanks all of you,
BTW, reason why ask such question here is because I have faith in members here =)

So, I guess what I will do is call the auditor after I get an estimate from the shop to discuss "diminished value". If their value is too much below my expectation, I'll need to take some legal actions.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM
SolarOrangeZ

I have a question of my own. I hope you don't mind davidz33.
My cousin recently came down to visit me from Seattle and was driving my CR-V. She tried to park it in the garage by backing it in but hit the side wall. Did some damage to the body and bumper (see pic). I took it to the body shop to get an estimate and they are saying it will be anywhere from $1700-$2500.

How can I get insurance company to take care of this without risking my premium from going up?
BTW...my cousin was really upset about it, she was in tears the whole day. I told her not to worry about it and that I'd take care of it somehow.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
davidz33

I think your premium will increase no matter what although how much of increase is upto the underwriter.
Or, maybe you can tell the insurace company someone hit your parked CR-V. I know it's not being honest, but,,, insurace companies make enough money imo
If you go with the above route, your premium may not increase if your history is clean.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:32 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Won't the adjuster or body shop be able to figure out "how it happened". I don't want to get in trouble.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 AM
gjoey66

depending on your deductible...it might not be worth it...some idiot stole my gauges out of my car and the computer...cost me 1500...well 2700 but i had some other work done on the car...anyways in the end insurance would only have paid a portion...you best bet is to shop around and find a shop that'll do it for much less...if i had a CR-V i wouldn't exactly be looking for a show finish so i'd find a 700 dollarish fix...my .02