Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
kleefton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 5'11" and fit in the S2000 like a glove. It just feels tight in there, but no way in hell would I say it was uncomfortable. I had plenty of leg room and the seats were very supportive. The Z is as comfortable, though slightly roomier. But both of those cars could never been mistaken for roomy or comfortable cars. So end of this discussion.

Those cars are a great comparison but usually if you love the s2000 you will hate the Z and the other way around. Me personally I love my Z and I have a soft spot for the S2000. At WOT, ripping through gears that thing is so much fun. The S2000 is like a little b1tch with a nice *** that loves to get banged hard and doesn't care how you treat her. The Z is like a classy woman who likes to be pampered but also knows how to do it in bed, though not nearly as fun. The Z is easier to live with on a daily basis, no doubt. The S2000 is the better weekend car imo. It's the better drivers car.

My 2 cents. But both cars are great; there is a reason more people buy 350zs than S2000s though: The daily driving factor.

Last edited by kleefton; 08-30-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
TimeAttkZ

Old 08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by kleefton
I'm 5'11" and fit in the S2000 like a glove.
At 6'2 190 lbs... I cannot fit. I really can't. I tried! I do, however, fit a Lotus just fine.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Get_Zwole

im 5'10 and i thought it was very uncomfortable though im also 255 ilb bodybuilder that might have something to do with it. But ive been on numerous road trips in my z and its alot more comfortable to me. Just drive them both see which one you like better and boom pick we cant help you.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
blazed54

Although not necessarily negative, the small cabin size of the s2k was enough to keep me from even test driving the car. The 350z's larger cabin was enough to win me over (between the 2). Although far from perfect in it's stock form, my 07 with my tommy kaira weighted shift **** and d-wolf clutch kit, it's much much more fun to drive now.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:58 PM
TerraNova3

The s2000 has a ugly center console.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Z-Phil, what are you taking about? A "true enthusiast" sticks with the Z and doesnt look back. Maybe if you like the honda so much then you should have gotten one. The Z is a real mans car. I see a lot of chicks driving the honda.

2. The Honda engine is not the most reliable 4cyl engines for racing. The nissan inline 6 is. I have seen and heard of hondas going turbo or NOS and by the 3rd pass melting there piston rings or throwing a rod out of the block.

3. There is one car that has a small motor that will spank any honda in the street. And that would be the RX7 Turbo. If the motor on the rx7 is built good it would never blow on high boost or if sprayed.
What he means is if you were a true "car enthusiast" you would be more open minded. Meaning look at the better qualities in other cars besides the one that you own, which YOU most likely think is the best car ever judging by your comments above. One more thing, what is the best 4 cylinder engine for "racing"? (Where exactly did racing ever come up in this thread anyways?)
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 of my friends have s2000s. I love my Z but I love the s2000 just the same.

As far as performance, the way I describe it is, if a Z and S enter a parking lot on opposite ends and have to race to a parking space dead in the center, the S will win. Luckily, the Z will beat the S to the parking lot.

The S is a very fun car to drive. The main drawbacks to me are: Safety. The Z has better crash test ratings, and the S has no roof. You flip, you die. The second is highway performance. I spend most of my time on the highway and the Z has more top end power, although the S is no slouch up to 100mph. The Z is also more aerodynamic and has an equal or better power to weight ratio. Lack of torque is another drawback for the S. In the Z you don't have to be in the powerband to get up and go. The Z is also a LOT more roomy on the inside. Anyone who says they're even remotely comparable is smoking crack.

The Zs drawbacks are weight. It's heavy. A lot of that weight is for safety and to balance the car. It's a bigger car and the engine doesn't sit as far back. At lower speeds the S will out-handle the Z. There are also a lot of poseurs that drive Z's. The S is more geared to the true driving enthusiast in general, but that doesn't mean the S is for all true driving enthusiasts and vice versa.

Both are great cars and it's a tossup between the two. I would drive the wheels off an S2000 just the same that I do with my Z.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
flintgauge

Did you buy your S2000 yet?
flintgauge

Here's the OP and his current ride...

Bam-0

kool
Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Sea Bass

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Z-Phil, what are you taking about? A "true enthusiast" sticks with the Z and doesnt look back. Maybe if you like the honda so much then you should have gotten one. The Z is a real mans car. I see a lot of chicks driving the honda.

2. The Honda engine is not the most reliable 4cyl engines for racing. The nissan inline 6 is. I have seen and heard of hondas going turbo or NOS and by the 3rd pass melting there piston rings or throwing a rod out of the block.

3. There is one car that has a small motor that will spank any honda in the street. And that would be the RX7 Turbo. If the motor on the rx7 is built good it would never blow on high boost or if sprayed.
You're high.

1. By "true enthusiast", I meant someone who is open minded enough to appreciate all manner of cars, even if they aren't necessarily the one they want the most. The S2000 is a terrific car, and the engine alone is a feat of modern engineering.

2. You talk about having "heard" of Honda engines failing under racing stress. Well, that sounds pretty anecdotal, and not all that statistically significant. Guess what? I can also rhyme off various Zs that have blown up under racing, too. But that's also just anecdotal. My point: cars built for the street are designed to withstand the abuse of the street, not the track. Where's Nissan's F1 team, by the way?

Here's a tidbit for you: why are used Hondas so damned expensive, but Nissans (including this Z, which is how I could purchase it) go in the TANK when it comes to resale? Because Honda builds a more reliable product. Deal with it.

3. Comparing a boosted RX-7 to an NA motor? Apples to oranges. But since you brought it up, how long does the average FD engine last before it needs a complete tear down?

And please.. .don't give me that "real man's car" crap. I'm sorry if you feel the need to validate your "manliness" by the type of car you drive, but I don't.

In case you didn't fully read my post, I LOVE the Z > all and I am very happy with it, but I can appreciate the S2000 for what it is: a ***** out autocrosser built for the steet. I'm happy to blow past it on the street with the torquey VQ, but I'll always give a thumbs up to the driver of a car that will go down as one of the best sports cars ever to come out of Japan, much like the 350Z will, too.

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
What he means is if you were a true "car enthusiast" you would be more open minded. Meaning look at the better qualities in other cars besides the one that you own, which YOU most likely think is the best car ever judging by your comments above. One more thing, what is the best 4 cylinder engine for "racing"? (Where exactly did racing ever come up in this thread anyways?)
Thank you for summing up what I tried, but failed to do.

Last edited by Sea Bass; 08-30-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
phenix

Well I own both, so I may be able to offer some more insight as far as the driving experience: (BTW 06 Base Z, 07 S2K)

The Z feels 'brutish' compared to the S. It has (comparatively) massive torque. The power off the line is great where the S will sometimes get caught sleeping. You might jump out into traffic in the S and be bogged down in the low revs, just kinda waiting for something to happen. Then finally around 4k you get moving and at 5800 the car finally gets angry and agrees with your right foot that's planted on the floorboard. It's not that it's all that bad, just something to get used to.

On the other hand, in the Z when you want it to go, it will. Low rev, mid revs, high revs- it really doesn't matter much. Press on the gas and go. Need to make a pass on a 2-lane highway? 5th will do just fine, maybe 4th if you're in a hurry. That same pass in the S requires you to drop into VTEC- 3rd gear. Don't get me wrong though, once it gets going, an S is only a hair slower than the Z, but theirs a lot less commotion since it stays flat as opposed to the Z lifting it's nose in the air like a 70s muscle car. (not so severely, but that's what it feels like after driving the S). Also with the Z, you have to be fairly careful with the throttle, to much and you'll just spin the tires, especially during a turn. The S, on the other hand, you can just plant your foot down and let it do it's thing.

Basically, don't let the straight line speed be a deciding factor they are close enough. Besides if that's all you were looking for you need to look at a different car.

Ride quality is completely different between the two. Although I would consider the Z to be a fairly stiff car, switching back to it after driving the S, it feels downright 'cushy.' They are both sports cars and sacrifice comfort for handling. I like the feeling of being 'connected' to the road and in most respects the S does that better. And although the S has better steering response, the Z has better steering feel.

The brake pedal on the S has a much better feel. It has ZERO dead movement, where the Z's pedal will sink a little before it does anything. Then when it finally does something, the initial bite on the Z is brutal, but you'll quickly learn to finesse it. The S on the other hand has an extremely low initial bite, so even though there is no wasted travel on the pedal, you've really got to apply a good bit of pressure to get some decent stopping performance. I don't have numbers on them, but I would guess that the two are close as far as stopping distance. Panic braking in either one will have you seeing stars.

As far as handling, the S wins hands down. Quicker reactions, better road holding, lower torque, all benefits for handling. My 06 Z seems to be a little tail happy: if you brake hard while turning or apply moderate throttle, the tail likes to kick out. It is, though, extremely easy to recover from. Hell, I went through my first set of rear tires in only 8000 miles acting silly with tail slides. The S is a little more balanced, but once that tail gets going, your in some deep doodoo. Especially in an AP1 with the narrower wheels and no ESC.

As far as daily life in these cars... if your a big guy you might have issues with the S. I'm 5'7 176 lbs and it's fine for me. My brother in law is 5'6" 210lbs and he starts sweatin as soon as he gets in. My best friend is about 6'0" 190lbs and barely fits, folded up like an accordion. It takes a little bit of planning for bigger folks to get in or out of the S. Nobody I've met has had any issues with fitting in the Z. Oh, except my mom who can't get the seat to raise as high as she would like. On that note, let me tell you now the S has very few comfort adjustments. The steering wheel is fixed, period. Seats go forward and back with a very small amount of recline.
The Z has a gazillion pockets so store things and a decent sized trunk, on paper. The S has much fewer cubby holes and a smaller trunk, on paper. As far as those trunks go, actual utility of each is about even. You will be able to but way more than you think into either one. The S2K's trunk is fairly deep, but not very long. On the other hand the Z's trunk is very shallow, made worse by that shock tower bar, but very wide and long.

Wow, that's a lot of typing... let me know if you've got any other specific questions and good luck finding the right car for you.

PS. BTW I like the Z better overall due to the power. But the S definitely gets the heads turnin and feels much more sporty and uncompromising.

Last edited by phenix; 08-30-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Originally Posted by flintgauge
Here's the OP and his current ride...

If this is your lame *** attempt at being humorous......It isn't working.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Originally Posted by phenix

Well I own both, so I may be able to offer some more insight as far as the driving experience: (BTW 06 Base Z, 07 S2K)

The Z feels 'brutish' compared to the S. It has (comparatively) massive torque. The power off the line is great where the S will sometimes get caught sleeping. You might jump out into traffic in the S and be bogged down in the low revs, just kinda waiting for something to happen. Then finally around 4k you get moving and at 5800 the car finally gets angry and agrees with your right foot that's planted on the floorboard. It's not that it's all that bad, just something to get used to.

On the other hand, in the Z when you want it to go, it will. Low rev, mid revs, high revs- it really doesn't matter much. Press on the gas and go. Need to make a pass on a 2-lane highway? 5th will do just fine, maybe 4th if you're in a hurry. That same pass in the S requires you to drop into VTEC- 3rd gear. Don't get me wrong though, once it gets going, an S is only a hair slower than the Z, but theirs a lot less commotion since it stays flat as opposed to the Z lifting it's nose in the air like a 70s muscle car. (not so severely, but that's what it feels like after driving the S). Also with the Z, you have to be fairly careful with the throttle, to much and you'll just spin the tires, especially during a turn. The S, on the other hand, you can just plant your foot down and let it do it's thing.

Basically, don't let the straight line speed be a deciding factor they are close enough. Besides if that's all you were looking for you need to look at a different car.

Ride quality is completely different between the two. Although I would consider the Z to be a fairly stiff car, switching back to it after driving the S, it feels downright 'cushy.' They are both sports cars and sacrifice comfort for handling. I like the feeling of being 'connected' to the road and in most respects the S does that better. And although the S has better steering response, the Z has better steering feel.

The brake pedal on the S has a much better feel. It has ZERO dead movement, where the Z's pedal will sink a little before it does anything. Then when it finally does something, the initial bite on the Z is brutal, but you'll quickly learn to finesse it. The S on the other hand has an extremely low initial bite, so even though there is no wasted travel on the pedal, you've really got to apply a good bit of pressure to get some decent stopping performance. I don't have numbers on them, but I would guess that the two are close as far as stopping distance. Panic braking in either one will have you seeing stars.

As far as handling, the S wins hands down. Quicker reactions, better road holding, lower torque, all benefits for handling. My 06 Z seems to be a little tail happy: if you brake hard while turning or apply moderate throttle, the tail likes to kick out. It is, though, extremely easy to recover from. Hell, I went through my first set of rear tires in only 8000 miles acting silly with tail slides. The S is a little more balanced, but once that tail gets going, your in some deep doodoo. Especially in an AP1 with the narrower wheels and no ESC.

As far as daily life in these cars... if your a big guy you might have issues with the S. I'm 5'7 176 lbs and it's fine for me. My brother in law is 5'6" 210lbs and he starts sweatin as soon as he gets in. My best friend is about 6'0" 190lbs and barely fits, folded up like an accordion. It takes a little bit of planning for bigger folks to get in or out of the S. Nobody I've met has had any issues with fitting in the Z. Oh, except my mom who can't get the seat to raise as high as she would like. On that note, let me tell you now the S has very few comfort adjustments. The steering wheel is fixed, period. Seats go forward and back with a very small amount of recline.
The Z has a gazillion pockets so store things and a decent sized trunk, on paper. The S has much fewer cubby holes and a smaller trunk, on paper. As far as those trunks go, actual utility of each is about even. You will be able to but way more than you think into either one. The S2K's trunk is fairly deep, but not very long. On the other hand the Z's trunk is very shallow, made worse by that shock tower bar, but very wide and long.

Wow, that's a lot of typing... let me know if you've got any other specific questions and good luck finding the right car for you.

PS. BTW I like the Z better overall due to the power. But the S definitely gets the heads turnin and feels much more sporty and uncompromising.
WOW! This is really making my decision a little easier. I guess it really just comes down to which one is more practical, and wether I want to be really close to a race car driver. It'll be a tough decision, but hopefully i'll make the right one in the end. I'll definitely contact you if I have any more questions! Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 AM
pcdoctor

I used to have a prelude and then an integra. I wanted to get a RSX but since Honda stopped making it, I retaliated and stopped buying Hondas. I really don't like the face of the 2000 and I think what Honda charges for it is too much. The Z has more horsepower anyway.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:25 AM
KManZ
Banned

phenix: excellent, unbiased post! This Z forum needs more of this kind of information (and members) !
Old 08-31-2007, 03:29 AM
SuperFLY

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
I've talked to many Z owners who have told me to get the S2000. So... that's why I stated, "If you didn't own a Z, what would you choose?".
only reason i didnt get the S2 was the insurance.

here it was double what the zed cost to insure due to being rather tail happy and everyone stuffing them into lampposts.

the old style vtec would grind on me as well. i was used to the ivtec and even though its still vtec at least the i model had some torque lower down. the S2 has absolutely nothing until the changeover and for everyday driving that again would wind me up.

loved my ctr and the dealer was superb but at the end of the day sheer grunt won out.

had to get the roadster though as the S2 got me hankering for a convertable, heh
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
350zphien

good question i considered both cars until i was with my girlfriend at a stop light and i heard her say EWWWWW!!! i look over and 2 homos were kissing in a yells s2000....we bought my Z the next day...moral of the story if you want to pick up guys buy an s2000
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Go for the S2000. We need more S2000 out there on the road and less of the 350Z.
+1,132,980

I saw fifteen Z's on the road the other day and I was nowhere NEAR a Nissan dealership.

Now that shiet is crazy. Get an S2000 Puuuhlease!!

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000