Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why didn't Nissan equip 350z with "Intelligent Key?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:24 PM
EZ E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd love a push button start but then again i wouldn't like to see the price go up because of it . oldschool keys 4tw!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:31 PM
SolarOrangeZ

How expensive could it possibly be. A dang switch that connects positive to negative. I'm sure a approach/vicinity sensor can't be that expensive either. I hope someone on this site comes up with a way to make it work with a viper or easy car alarm system.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by Mewantbfp
The new bmw's and corvettes have them. I actually think their pretty nice. The only thing i didn't like is if you left the car on and walked away with the key the car stays running. I almost kept some guys BMW key once because it was in my pocket and when i got out of the car i forgot about it because the car was still running.
Actually it's a huge plus for people in the desert. We can leave the car on, take the key with us and lock the doors. The car wont go into gear and you keep that AC blasted when its 110F outside. Cars in the summer here in AZ get to like 150F inside if left in the sun.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
KManZ
Banned

I had a Murano loaner for about 2 weeks before I got my Z, and got to experience the "remote ignition" thing.. it is actually pretty nice to not have to fumble with keys, but you still have to turn a switch on to start it; that switch was just a bland piece of plastic that stuck out, and it looked like a regular ignition without a key stuck in it. If they go with remote ignition on the 09 Z, I hope they make it look a little more interesting (better yet, make it a button start ROFLFTW)
Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 PM
TerraNova3

My key is sad, likes look it belongs to a junker being purple and all.

The keys on the 07's are fine though.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Fairly Z

Well, when you think about it, Corvettes have intelligent keys now. Personally, though, I don't like the idea. That's probably why they didn't use it; because I don't like the idea. Yeah!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
91ZCpe

we need the old 300ZX's key- the titanium one.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
03Platinum350z

I could care less if the 350 had it or not. Im not that lazy, I can make the extra effort and extra 3 seconds it takes to turn the key /shrug

Jeff
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
lilaznxboi08

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
... and all those bells and whistles wind up making the car weight more. It's a sports car, not a luxury sedan.
ha weight its just another computer. ive seen new altimas have it, i think it should be on the Z.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 AM
angelzhope720

Originally Posted by redlude97
Your friend must drive an AUTOMATIC! We 6mt coupe owners got screwed on that one
Yeah actually he does drive an auto.. I had no idea the 6 speed's didn't have it equipped
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 AM
myzhi

Originally Posted by KManZ
I had a Murano loaner for about 2 weeks before I got my Z, and got to experience the "remote ignition" thing.. it is actually pretty nice to not have to fumble with keys, but you still have to turn a switch on to start it; that switch was just a bland piece of plastic that stuck out, and it looked like a regular ignition without a key stuck in it. If they go with remote ignition on the 09 Z, I hope they make it look a little more interesting (better yet, make it a button start ROFLFTW)

Think of the Murano as Nissan's 1st generation Intelligent Key. You still need to turn a ***. 07 Altima has the 2nd generation. It actually has a push start / stop engine button. At some point, Murano and Maxima will be updated.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by 03Platinum350z
I could care less if the 350 had it or not. Im not that lazy, I can make the extra effort and extra 3 seconds it takes to turn the key /shrug

Jeff
Hell, it's actually the same process. You're still turning or pushing a button and waiting for the car to fire up. You're already reaching to that spot, might as well reach with the key in your hand.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Hell, it's actually the same process. You're still turning or pushing a button and waiting for the car to fire up. You're already reaching to that spot, might as well reach with the key in your hand.
Good point. Question for the people that really want this, how is this intelligence really helping you? Do you just want it so you can show your friends how cool it is? The tech factor?

Try this on for size. I was checking my oil level this AM and it reminded me to post this up. Instead of adding extra, marginally useful bloat to the car, Nissan should spend the R&D money on fixing horrible design issues like, for example, the Z dip stick. That is by far the worst dipstick I have ever used. You can't get a reliable, consistent reading with it without removing the airbox and the MAF tube. Kias have better dipsticks than this. Now, if Nissan changed that, that would be an actual improvement to the car worth the money spent on the R&D. I am sure there's a few more things on the car that could use a "little rework".

I'm still pissed off about that dipstick. Everytime I check my oil, want to stab myself in the eye. How could QA at Nissan allow this type of design to roll out of the factory?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:20 AM
SolarOrangeZ

I want to have a (universal) approach sensor chip installed in my body surgically. All I have to do is update the chip through wireless when I get a new car. WOOOOT!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't get the fascination with all these bluetooth type key things. Is it that hard, or "uncool" to put the key in the ignition and turn?

The old Z's did have unique "Z" keys - would have been a nice touch, but I guess they decided to go with the Z logo in the door jam vent instead
Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Kuruma-san

Originally Posted by SolarOrangeZ
I want to have a (universal) approach sensor chip installed in my body surgically. All I have to do is update the chip through wireless when I get a new car. WOOOOT!!!
fo sho ill take that feature
Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Fairly Z

The reason they didn't do a special Z key, though, is because the 350Z is the first generation Z that uses a transponder key chip. Nissan transponder keys are universal for all Nissan vehicles, and that's why they use the same keys. They could've at least put a Z logo on it, though.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
teh_ginger

So what does the 07 key look like? I was just looking for this. Can someone post a picture?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM
lamaz

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
The reason they didn't do a special Z key, though, is because the 350Z is the first generation Z that uses a transponder key chip. Nissan transponder keys are universal for all Nissan vehicles, and that's why they use the same keys. They could've at least put a Z logo on it, though.
Come on, my 2001 Nissan Maxima Aniversary Edition had it's own special key that clearly let everybody know that it was a "special edition". Nissan must know that they dropped the ball on this one.

-LamaZ
Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
lamaz

Originally Posted by SolarOrangeZ
how come there are cars that have the integrated key/fob if frequency is against fcc
Let me clear this point up. I specifically got the part number for the integrated Key/Keyfob and the transponder that is installed on the car. The frequency that Nissan uses for the rest of the world's Z33s are not valid for the US. Maybe they where just lazy and said "awww f*ck it" let the americans get what they can. Who knows?!

-LamaZ

Quick Reply: Why didn't Nissan equip 350z with "Intelligent Key?"