Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do people compare auto z vs. manual (not a war)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well That Sounds Great Im Glad Things Are Going Well For You Maybe I Can Pick Your Brain When Im Ready For Fi So I Try To Do It Right The First Time. On The Other Hand You Will Probably Have A Lambo Before I Can Save Up Lol. OH BYE THE WAY YOU CANTTRACK YOUR CAR ITS A AUTO LOL

Last edited by marques1; 09-20-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
I'll let you in on a secret... actually autos are good in drag races. If you compare them on a road course (where sports cars belong) the differences begin to appear.
Agreed 100% , the fastest drag times are held by autos or th400 type transmissions. The problem is that type of trans is far different then the reg factory automagic that u have .

Noones going to sugar coat the fact. Autos are nice and constant for drag racing, but 6mt times are faster, and as u reach higher power levels FI with the Z the auto will have to be rebuilt or modded to make the most of it but so will the 6mt. These autos in teh Z are not like the supra autos which are capaple of handling great stress. Every auto i seen thats FI doesnt have a factory auto trans. Or there putting out really low numbers. And cant make most of there power because of it or gearing all which can be recitfied .

Last edited by RBlover69; 09-20-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let you in on a secret... actually autos are good in drag races. If you compare them on a road course (where sports cars belong) the differences begin to appear.
So what exactly is your definition of an "auto transmission"? Is it the lack of a clutch pedal? What is your definition of a sports car?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Rbblover So Does The Manual Tranny Needs Modifications Also.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by roncfpz
So what exactly is your definition of an "auto transmission"? Is it the lack of a clutch pedal? What is your definition of a sports car?

When the car controls the gear selection. That is my definition. My definition does not include F1 paddles. F1 paddles would be quicker.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Willie

Why is the AT not good for road racing?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:24 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by marques1
Rbblover So Does The Manual Tranny Needs Modifications Also.
of course,it can take moer abuse then the standard auto but that depends on driver. Most people when going FI even a well built NA machine will have a upgraded clutch and flywheel. Its just the progression of modding. If ur dragging i see no reason why u would fret especially if ur NA. But if ur FI or if your road racing then thats when u will have to consider some serious options to make the most out of ur setup. And if im not mistaken its not cheap either ..but then again what is cheap on a Z. Unless ur liek RON and are rich man. When i grow up i wanna be like him
Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Willie
Why is the AT not good for road racing?

Because the car will switch gears in corners, doesn't down shift unless the car is slow, can't select the proper gear for an upcoming corner, etc.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by roncfpz
look into automotive history and the "traditional sports car" is a front engine, RWD car with a manual transmission. mid engined cars are also thrown in there too. autos, fwd, awd...........not so much.

doesn't mean i think autos are stupid or slow, they serve their purpose in life. me, personally, i don't think autos belong on a sports car, but that is just my opinion. i am sure the OP will ask me for facts on my opinion though.

jim
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Willie

Because the car will switch gears in corners, doesn't down shift unless the car is slow, can't select the proper gear for an upcoming corner, etc.
But the Z has a gear select mode.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Willie
But the Z has a gear select mode.
the tiptronic or gear select has a delay and cannot be aggresivly shifted or engaged as a True manual. It suffers from a time delay and sometimes even shifts on its own to protect it self. Its not a true gear change as a manuel.IF you drove both zs in a road race course you would find a gap being formed from both cars on each turn and on each straight. This is because of keeping a consitant rpm in your power band and being able to control ur turn in accelaration alot better then a auto. The delay from the auto is really its major down fall. Which alot of sports cars are doing pre selected gear changes. Which still are slower then there manual counter parts. Its really when u get some nice built autos like th400s and builts auto trans that shift faster then human can preety much and those are preety much reserved for the 1/4.

remember this arguement is for Zs and tis price range ,....exoitcs have been switching to F1 style boxes which are hella fast in changing . But there literally almost a manuel in there setup. As days go the distance from auto to mt is getting closer.
Watch some road racing. The Zs natural habitat. U will notice manuals and sequential gear boxs. Really the only way to go on a road race type event. But like i said ....its not for everyone. ya know. How many times are you going to actaully road race...i mean i love to go and havent been since my old 287 Z. lol so dont let it kill ya , practicality is sometimes smarter then whats technically better.

Last edited by RBlover69; 09-20-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
fast kiwi

this thread is heading for failer!!! or stleast some one killing some one.. lol

kiwi lurks!!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by RBlover69
the tiptronic or gear select has a delay and cannot be aggresivly shifted or engaged as a True manual. It suffers from a time delay and sometimes even shifts on its own to protect it self. Its not a true gear change as a manuel.IF you drove both zs in a road race course you would find a gap being formed from both cars on each turn and on each straight. This is because of keeping a consitant rpm in your power band and being able to control ur turn in accelaration alot better then a auto. The delay from the auto is really its major down fall. Which alot of sports cars are doing pre selected gear changes. Which still are slower then there manual counter parts. Its really when u get some nice built autos like th400s and builts auto trans that shift faster then human can preety much and those are preety much reserved for the 1/4.

Watch some road racing. The Zs natural habitat. U will notice manuals and sequential gear boxs. Really the only way to go on a road race type event. But like i said ....its not for everyone. ya know. How many times are you going to actaully road race...i mean i love to go and havent been since my old 287 Z. lol so dont let it kill ya , practicality is sometimes smarter then whats technically better.
The only time the AT will shift on it's own (while in manual mode) is when the speed is low enough, it will drop to first. It will not shift for any other circumstance "to protect itself" as you put it. It will bounce off the rev limiter if you want it to. As for the shifting delay; it shifts about as fast as the average person. The only lengthy delay is when you first put it in manual mode from automatic.

About the only thing it limits is it will not allow skipping gears (up or down).
Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
The only time the AT will shift on it's own (while in manual mode) is when the speed is low enough, it will drop to first. It will not shift for any other circumstance "to protect itself" as you put it. It will bounce off the rev limiter if you want it to. As for the shifting delay; it shifts about as fast as the average person. The only lengthy delay is when you first put it in manual mode from automatic.

About the only thing it limits is it will not allow skipping gears (up or down).
Well that depends on what type of tiptronic ur driving....drive a tiptronic audi or a tiptronic hyundai tiburon or a acura tiptronic. They actually DO PROTECT themselves from getting over reved and select another gear. When i was at pocono a Acura type S actually would select 2nd gear upon trying to start in first . It was utterly impossible to rev 1st gear.Or to keep them in gear for that fact. Same thing with my built hyundai tiburon and alot of other cars i used to test drive.

The Z does have a delay. I dunno if u notice but have u ran a MT Z on the course with a auto Z in a event...Even on the straights i pull on autos. The shifting to next gear especially when speed shifting from my exprience is faster then a auto. Not to say that autos arnt faster or cant be made faster then MT but in the Z noones gonna convince me that the 2 are equal in times and prove it. unless they actaully have times to prove it consistantly. Ic ant remember one Z auto in any local SCCA event that ran a auto and did better compared to a MT counterpart.

Last edited by RBlover69; 09-20-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
HDPDZO6

Well that depends on what type of tiptronic ur driving....drive a tiptronic audi or a tiptronic hyundai tiburon or a acura tiptronic. They actually DO PROTECT themselves from getting over reved and select another gear. When i was at pocono a Acura type S actually would select 2nd gear upon trying to start in first . It was utterly impossible to rev 1st gear. Same thing with my built hyundai tiburon and alot of other cars i used to test drive.
I'm talking about the 350Z's tiptronic.

The Z does have a delay. I dunno if u notice but have u ran a MT Z on the course...Even on the straights i pull on autos. The shifting to next gear especially when speed shifting from my exprience is faster then a auto. Not to say that autos arnt faster or cant be made faster then MT but in the Z noones gonna convince me that the 2 are equal in times and prove it.
I would tend to believe the reason you pulled was because of the AT's less aggressive gearing. Trust me, the AT shifts rather quickly in manual mode. And if that isn't enough for some folks, they can get the VB upgrade.

Is it the same as a MT? No. The lack of a clutch pedal feels awkward to me. But the AT's tiptronic is fairly decent. Driver skill would more than negate any minuses vs the two transmissions.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
md350

Just curious...everyone always says the AT sucks in a road course because you can't select your gear...why is this? All AT Z's have a triptronic option, you can select your gears just the same. And the only time it shifts on its own is if you reach the bottom-line speed for the current gear. It will never upshift, you can bounce off the rev limiter all you want.

Is there something I'm missing?

Kinda off-topic...what's the "VB upgrade" ..? I've seen it mentioned in a couple threads now.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I'm talking about the 350Z's tiptronic.

I would tend to believe the reason you pulled was because of the AT's less aggressive gearing. Trust me, the AT shifts rather quickly in manual mode. And if that isn't enough for some folks, they can get the VB upgrade.

Is it the same as a MT? No. The lack of a clutch pedal feels awkward to me. But the AT's tiptronic is fairly decent. Driver skill would more than negate any minuses vs the two transmissions.
So in a event you with equal drivers would your money be on the MT or the AT in a Z lol? but i do get your point its fairly decent. I dont wanna bash them i mean its still a Z and its AT is far better then other companies hidious automagic trans.

By your name it looks like u road race so you know the deal, already.

Last edited by RBlover69; 09-20-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM
md350

So in a event you with equal drivers would your money be on the MT or the AT in a Z? but i do get your point its fairly decent. I dont wanna bash them i mean its still a Z and its AT is far better then other companies hidious automagic trans.
The point is, neither one would be faster.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:12 PM
HDPDZO6

So in a event you with equal drivers would your money be on the MT or the AT in a Z? but i do get your point its fairly decent. I dont wanna bash them i mean its still a Z and its AT is far better then other companies hidious automagic trans.
If both are extremely good driver's, then who knows. I would tend to give the edge in that scenario to the MT driver, but has there been a match up of that skill level.

Equal skill average drivers? Could go either way, since I'm taking into account the MT driver not being the best at shifting.

Quick Reply: why do people compare auto z vs. manual (not a war)