Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dissapointed and sad Z owner. (35th Anniversary Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 AM
greybrimstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dissapointed and sad Z owner. (35th Anniversary Edition)

Don't get me wrong, I love my 35th Anniversary 350Z but I am starting to suffer from heartache and disappointment. Let me start off by saying that I only drive standards. I grew up driving sports cars, and spent quite a bit of time racing them. With that said, I've done nothing by pamper my 350Z. The only races that it has ever seen are far and few. So here goes it...

My 350Z has 25,000 miles on it. Thats it, very low mileage... but that is where the good news ends.

When I shift from fourth gear to sixth gear, I get a grind. When I shift from fifth gear to sixth gear, I get a grind. I realize that it is my sixth gear syncro, but how the hell is that possible? Is this common? Do Z's have trannie issues like this frequently?

When the car starts from a cold start, I hear a whine come from the engine. It sounds like smooth metal on smooth metal... sorta like a pulley is going to go, or like a belt is about to start squealing. Anyone have this problem? Is this common with the Z?

When I backup from a cold start, I get a loud "THUNK" and lots of small clicks. When I put it in first, and move forward, I get the same clicks and pops, sometimes I get a thunk. I think its the brakes but I am not sure. Anyone else see this? Is this common?

The front tires wear strange. The inside is all eaten up while the outside is fine. I've seen this on porsche, ferrari, and other cars like that on the REAR tires because of the camber... but not on the front. Whats the deal here?

Needless to say I am very upset, very dissapointed, and honestly very sad. I loved the Z and I was super excited about getting it when I got it, but now I am thinking about fixing it and selling it. It is still under warranty... and honestly, I don't need a problem car.

Any opinions based on real experience would be much appreciated here. I'm a truly disappointed and sad Z owner.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 AM
WhiteNoiz

Have you owned the car for all of its miles?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Sounds like the tire feathering problem?

Don't be sad.... get GLAD
Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Fluid1

Welcome to the internet. As the computer screen instructed you before you posted here, it is best to SEARCH for information.

No, you're not the first person with these problems. Yes, they are spoken of on this website.

When did you buy the car?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
robbycolli

I have never heard of any of these problems. I guess you are just very unlucky. Don't know what to tell you. Sorry
Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 AM
greybrimstone

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
Have you owned the car for all of its miles?
Nope, I have not owned this car for all of its miles. I purchased it at 5K miles.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smell a troll somewhere
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM
greybrimstone

Default Unlucky and sad

Originally Posted by robbycolli
I have never heard of any of these problems. I guess you are just very unlucky. Don't know what to tell you. Sorry
Right, unlucky and very sad...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The problems that you have addressed are very common. The car is under warranty correct?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:16 AM
bhendjol
achoooooo

So, You have tire feathering, rear axle clicking, and grinding.
thats common.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get that all fixed under warranty, and all of those problems will go away and not a problem car. so i don't see what the problem is. Isn't that why a warranty is there in the first place? I want you to find a car espeically a sports car with 0 problems. You growing up with sports cars, you should be able to be used to odds sounds.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 AM
greybrimstone

Default Making me feel a bit better

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
you can get that all fixed under warranty, and all of those problems will go away and not a problem car. so i don't see what the problem is. Isn't that why a warranty is there in the first place? I want you to find a car espeically a sports car with 0 problems. You growing up with sports cars, you should be able to be used to odds sounds.
I am glad to hear you say that. I am actually on the phone with Nissan right now and scheduling an appointment for Next Tuesday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Having said that, i am still interested in getting input and advice from everyone here. Thank you already for the input that you've given me!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 AM
greybrimstone

Default Right...

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z

Odd sounds yes... but things like this, no. C'mon, 6th gear syncro shot at 25K miles? Thats not "normal" by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greybrimstone
Odd sounds yes... but things like this, no. C'mon, 6th gear syncro shot at 25K miles? Thats not "normal" by any stretch of the imagination.
well, i've notice i had problems when i started driving the car hard. You can get the latest 009 tranny replaced for free and it's a great one. No grinds or anything. Shifts a lot smoother as well.

The axle clicking will be gone.

The tire feathering will ge gone.

i'm guessing that sound you are hearing is from the tranny. After i put in some new performance tranny gear oil, everything was good.

Don't worry, these are little problems. Problems that would steer me away from my fav car would be things like oil consumption or somethign to that degree. Sports cars are going to be driven like sports cars so they are going to have some type of problem but the problems you stated are common and can be fixxed..for free.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM
JoeyFyed

Hah, tell me about it. I just got a new engine through Nissan. Damn oil consumption. Had less than a qt left after 5k miles with synthetic.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Zilvia

most of that stuff is TSB i think
Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 AM
umsta

our sync mess trans which DOES emit a slight metal rubbing sound when not in gear
Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 AM
greybrimstone

Originally Posted by Zilvia
most of that stuff is TSB i think
What does TSB stand for?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM
umsta

Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Rexy7

I had 05 anniversary (original owner) about 14,000 mile in 1year period and the only problem I had was that my rear tires wore out on the outer part of the tires rather then the inner, but it I think it was my fault because of putting too much air pressure(45psi). Also I had a 2nd gear grind when I try to take off the line which could be driver error.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed and sad Z owner. (35th Anniversary Edition)