Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moving to england. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 AM
Adrians350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and don't listen to Sean1967, he just jumped on the bandwagon after I mentioned TVR. Get one of the 1990's (any year will do) V8 TVR's or even an early Tuscan (like in swordfish) and learn what it's like to drive a real car. ***** to the wall, no traction control, no airbags, no ABS. Just you, the car and the road.
I'd actually kill for a decent v8 cerbera here but they are rarer than honda drivers *********.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease give one a crack before you get upset that you can't bring your Z
Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by kognition
Have you lived in the UK? It's not about choices moreso than it is about traditional foods. And they are everywhere out there. Now if you want to go off and find a nice Trader Joes style salad for yourself, the closest thing to that will come from an Indian Restaurant there. Just don't expect your English counterparts to follow your lead.
I am British and moved here a few years ago. I am not over weight and neither are any of my British mates, or family for that matter.

American food is no different. You can get the same things in the grocery store. You don't need to eat salad every night just a balance diet. I am sure there are plenty of families all over the world who eat poorly (ie junk - pizza, fries, greasy foods) on a regular basis.

Last edited by Black Duck; 12-06-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by Adrians350Z
and don't listen to Sean1967, he just jumped on the bandwagon after I mentioned TVR. Get one of the 1990's (any year will do) V8 TVR's or even an early Tuscan (like in swordfish) and learn what it's like to drive a real car. ***** to the wall, no traction control, no airbags, no ABS. Just you, the car and the road.
I'd actually kill for a decent v8 cerbera here but they are rarer than honda drivers *********.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease give one a crack before you get upset that you can't bring your Z
I agree it is a cool car.

....but for a daily driver, it would suck, especially with all the rain. Plus they are notoriously unreliable.

It is definitely hardcore, like you say.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 AM
chunky_baby

Originally Posted by Black Duck
I am British and moved here a few years ago. I am not over weight and neither are any of my British mate, or family for that matter.

American food is no different. You can get the same things in the grocery store. You don't need to eat salad every night just a balance diet. I am sure there are plenty of families all over the world who eat poorly (ie junk - pizza, fries, greasy foods) on a regular basis.
QFT

There are plenty of options. I do have to say that it's expensive as hell to live over there now though - so maybe that's why people are eating less healthily these days. That goes for both the UK and the USA though - look at Houston where I live - fattest (or was that fastest to the buffet LOL) city about 5 years on the trot...

Also - the comments about TVRs are useful - I REALLY wanted a Cerbera or a Tuscan when I lived there.

One thing you should know about TVR's though - is that the build quality in general is *****.

I had a friend with a Cerbera, and he got it replaced in the end, as most of it fell apart.

He did tell me it was ***** to the wall while he had it though - it's plenty of fun for sure.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Black Duck

^^^ QFT what does that stand for?

Yeah I had a mate with a new Tuscan. He got rid of it after about 4 months because of so many issues.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
chunky_baby

^^^ QFT what does that stand for?

Yeah I had a mate with a new Tuscan. He got rid of it after about 4 months because of so many issues.
Quoted for Truth.

I am English and agreed with you
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
kognition

I def give you that (we are the biggest gorgers of food on the planet in the states).

I am British and moved here a few years ago. I am not over weight and neither are any of my British mate, or family for that matter.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by chunky_baby
Quoted for Truth.

I am English and agreed with you
Thanks. I'd been trying to figure out what that meant.

Glad to see another fellow Brit on here (I think Blur Blur is a Brit as well).

Last edited by Black Duck; 12-06-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by kognition
I def give you that (we are the biggest gorgers of food on the planet in the states).
I think it is a shame that there are so many stereotypes though. The Brits always make comments about "fat" Americans. Yet since I have been here, I have seen more fit Americans than fat ones.

Then the American's say Brits have bad teeth, sip warm beer, and wear bowler hats.

Now I'll admit it is all very funny but I believe the stereotypes for both countries are based mostly on the poor and uneducated people.

Example #1 British "Chav" or "Pikey" (How Americans see Brits)

Example #2 American (What British tourists see on holiday)

Last edited by Black Duck; 12-06-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
kognition

Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
chunky_baby

Black duck, where did you find that picture of me?

It is good to see some fellow Brits enjoying the Z in the land of no speed cameras

Well - Texas anyway.

I do think poor education is some part of it, but also TV generally doesn't help.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what's a piker?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
chunky_baby

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
what's a piker?
Noun. 1. A gypsy or traveller.
2. A vagrant. Derog.
Adj. Of or relating to a gypsy or vagrant. Derog.
* [Orig. South-east England/Kent use. Dialect]

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

That site will help you understand our own bizzare forms of slang and roood words

There are some gems on there let me tell you... it could almost start it's own thread.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

A Clockwork Orange translation guide
Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
chunky_baby

A Clockwork Orange translation guide
Sort of yes!!

you'll have to let me know your favourites
Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
adamw

It seems the 350z owning Brits abroad are taking over the forum today, so I thought I'd join in too.

About the food - it's definitely about choices. If you eat out all the time having currys and fish and chips then yeah, you'll get fat. There's plenty of good food in the supermarkets, but the good stuff is expensive.

About the TVR - my mate had a Cerbera for about a year. He bought it second hand and spent a fortune keeping it on the road. In the end he sold it because he used it to get to work and it kept letting him down. TVRs really are hardcore and don't get one unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself into!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
chunky_baby

Originally Posted by adamw
It seems the 350z owning Brits abroad are taking over the forum today, so I thought I'd join in too.

About the food - it's definitely about choices. If you eat out all the time having currys and fish and chips then yeah, you'll get fat. There's plenty of good food in the supermarkets, but the good stuff is expensive.

About the TVR - my mate had a Cerbera for about a year. He bought it second hand and spent a fortune keeping it on the road. In the end he sold it because he used it to get to work and it kept letting him down. TVRs really are hardcore and don't get one unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself into!
I love Fish and Chips me! and Curry!

God I wish someone would open a decent shop that would serve both (but not at the same time) in Houston.

No Fish and Chips to speak of, and all the Indian's are catering for US tastes...

It's why when I was back a week or so ago, I filled up... look like a barrage balloon now
Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM
kognition

I do indulge in Patak's Lime Pickle though. I'm addicted to the stuff. I bring back jars of it.

I love Fish and Chips me! and Curry!

God I wish someone would open a decent shop that would serve both (but not at the same time) in Houston.

No Fish and Chips to speak of, and all the Indian's are catering for US tastes...

It's why when I was back a week or so ago, I filled up... look like a barrage balloon now
Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Black Duck

what's a piker?
Did you ever see "******"? It was the sequel to "Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels". Brad Pitt played a Pikey in ******.

I highly recommend seeing them if you haven't already done so.

I've met a few Pikeys and it is really hard to understand them. One thing I will say is don't mess with them...they are hard as nails.

Good to see so many Brits on the forum and in this thread. There is clearly an uprising! Lets keep up the momentum.

.......bacon sarnie anyone?!

Last edited by Black Duck; 12-06-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Did you ever see "******"? It was the sequel to "Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels". Brad Pitt played a Pikey in ******.

I highly recommend seeing them if you haven't already done so.

I've met a few Pikeys and it is really hard to understand them. One thing I will say is don't mess with them...they are hard as nails.

Good to see so many Brits on the forum and in this thread. There is clearly an uprising! Lets keep up the momentum.
I have that movie. I was just wondering what a Brit thought about them.

Quick Reply: Moving to england. What to do?