Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moving to england. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Terror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to england. What to do?

So i am moving to england in 8 months. I am being sent the via my job United states air force. Rumor is if i were to bring my Z. They will install turn signal lights on the side and mess with my headlights and taillights. One guy who just came from england said they adjust your headlight aim. He said that since we drive right side of the road that the headlights are semi pointed towards the right to not blind oncoming traffic. That didnt really make sense to me but he said that they aim them semi to the left since you drive on the left. and so you wont blind oncoming traffic on the right. I dont know if that sounds right to me. He also said if your headlights cant be aimed that they put some kind of tape sheild over part of your headlights to not blind oncoming.

Question is what will they do to my car?

I just bought 06 headlights and got them blacked out with painted eyebrows. and i really dropped some cash on them. Will they jack my headlights all up?

Will they install side turn signals?

Will they mess with my taillights or rear turn signals?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Terror
Question is what will they do to my car?
Vehicle requirements can be found here: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1020/...3116b4d6_o.jpg.

Last edited by davidv; 12-03-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:19 AM
kutnupe14

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where, in England you goin'? ...if its London metro, you'd be better off leaving the Z at Offutt, Public transportaion is awesome in London, and the driver's there suck. Parking is expensive and those old *** roads will take a toll....
Old 12-01-2007, 02:16 AM
FrankieZZ

Go to www.350zukownersclub.com and our members will answer all your questions . Mention my name . Contact me if you are having any problems . Cheers and good luck !

Frank
US Liason for the 350Z UK Owners Club

Last edited by FrankieZZ; 12-01-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mildenhall or lakenheath? send us back some chocolate. eat a lot of pizza before you get over there.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 AM
zzz350

Buy an umbrella and a good wool sweater. Oh yeah, leave Zed at home, you don't even want to know what the petrol is going to cost you.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:59 AM
03TouZ

nooooo, gas prices will make a hole in your pocket, and uncomfortable to drive a LHD car on the other side of the road. But I would love to drive a Z in Europe.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 AM
MyFairladyZ2006

Yea I'm shipping my Z back to Europe next month too but fortunately not to England where they drive on the opposite side. I have heard rumors that I may have to change the headlights, hopefully not. But definitely, you wont have to change the tail lights.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 AM
skn5002

So what's the average price of gas over there??
Old 12-01-2007, 08:32 AM
plumpzz

7 bucks!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

See my post below.

Last edited by TEF; 12-01-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the Status of Forces agreement (SOFA) as it applies to vehicles imported by service people in Europe (and specifically UK). Generally, the SOFA spells out what must be done to vehicles imported by the troops. The SOFA for Japan, for example, required nothing be done to U.S.-made cars (other than adjusting the headlights, so they don't put out too much glare). As for gas, don't worry about the cost. You'll fill up at an AAFES gas station on base that is duty free, so all of those stories about expensive gas will not apply to you. Finally, should you decide to take the car by ferry to Europe, you'll have access to AAFES or duty-free gas coupons in Belgium, Holland, Germany and Spain. Also, in Germany you'll get to drive your "Z" at speeds it was intended. By contrast, affordable cars on the English market will be little four-cylinder sedans costing as much as a new Z here. As a rule of thumb, what we spend in dollars here, they spend in pounds (or two U.S. dollars) there. In other words, everything there will cost you twice as much if purchased off base. I'd think you'd really enjoy the 'Z" in your circumstances as a U.S. serviceman in Europe.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Terror

yeah i will be buying gas on base. I will be stationed at mildenhall. about 1 hour outside of london so i wont be living in london. The military pays extra money to members overseas called COLA its money to adjust to higher prices over there.

I think it would be awesome to have the Z over there cuz i can imagine there isnt many. The only thing im worried about is them jacking up my brand new painted headlights. I really dont want tape over my headlights, id rather get rid of the car if they are mess it all up.

Also i heard alot of sports car that are available in america or worth alot more money in Uk because they dont have access to those cars.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Terror

yeah i will miss food here. i know lakenheath a bas near by has popeyes chicken and i think mildenhall has taco bell and burger king, owell it really isnt a big deal the base will have a commissary and i will make my own food.

Last edited by Terror; 12-01-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Black Duck

Well you will most likely get away with the side turn signals (being military)but you will definitely have to do something with the lights other wise they will dazzle on coming traffic. Normally you can get black stickers which change the angle of the lights and won't cause any damage.

The only pain in the **** I can see for you is the gas prices which are ridiculous in England. Plus being on the left hand side of the car will be annoying for overtaking (a must in England) and getting tickets from machines in parking lots.

Other wise I think you will have a blast with your car on the roads out there. I may get back over there at some stage and I would definitely take my Z if I did. (I'm British by the way).

You should see quite a few Z's although as you say most people will have smaller engined cars and hot hatches. Track days are a must over there since the tracks are superb.

The "bad food" is a mith. British food is just as good as getting American food. In addition you can enjoy a nice cold pint with out the bother of tipping the bar tender or being asked for ID.

My wife is American and she lived out there with me for a couple of years - she did not want to leave! Trust me you will have fun!!

Last edited by Black Duck; 12-01-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM
SS350Z

If I were you I would take it over, do what you need to, to make it legal for anyone, and then sell it before you come home. I'm not sure if you would be allowed to do it, but Z's are a lot more expensive over there and it would probably be worth your time.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Jes-Z

Take the car over there and have a good time with it. I think if you need the turn signals for the side try evo-r.net they have these neat turn signals that go under the side Z emblem. That way you don't have to drill a hold on the side of the car.

I grew up as a child at Lakenheath. Enjoy your time overseas. I loved it over there from what I can remember.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by SS350Z
If I were you I would take it over, do what you need to, to make it legal for anyone, and then sell it before you come home. I'm not sure if you would be allowed to do it, but Z's are a lot more expensive over there and it would probably be worth your time.
I wouldnt sell it over there because left hand drive cars are not really what people want and tend to go for a lot less.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:11 PM
AMart

sell it to me
Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a Domino's pizza outside the Mildenhall gate,near the Feather Nest Inn, that is the best pizza you are going to see for the next year and a half or so. You can get good Indian food near the town center....if you like that stuff.

Quick Reply: Moving to england. What to do?