Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not really a pissing contest...i just wish people were more down to earth with both versions of the Z. lol Yea 13sec you should get that sucka to a DJ and see what she pops out.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
hiz-n-herz

Wow, y'all... That's a lot of end-of-year arguing...

I am not a magazine racer, nor bench racer, nor drag racer. I just love to drive my cars and am very in tune with every nuance - I can tell differences in acceleration due to ambient temps. I can tell when a single tire is low on air (not using the TPMS). I can tell when they are all a couple PSI low or high due to changes in ambient temps and barometric pressure.

I owned an 06 6MT revup for 8 months. Coming from a 97 M3 (240HP) with 220k miles, I was not very impressed with the "300 HP" 06 z (BTW, I used to commute 150 miles per day in the M3. I bought the Z when I quit commuting). I thought it felt the same as my M3. Not really any faster at all, like I had hoped. Plus, the 06 turned out to be an oil-burner Plus it pinged like a biotch if it was any warmer than 65 degrees outside.

I installed the MREV2 and spacer and that really fattened up the midrange (4k to 5.5k. any higher than 6k RPMS did not really yield any additional power. Power kinda fell off after 6k. There was really no reward in waiting to shift until 7k rpms. Also, there was not much low-end torque (below 3k) compared to the M3. Also, I could never chirp the GT rims with OEM 265 tires from the 1-2 shift. I tried!

Then I test-drove an 07 z with the HR. It had enough miles to be past the initial break-in, (BTW, I think the VQ engines are not really broken-in power-wise until they get about 7k-8k miles). But already, I could tell that it had much more torque under 3k RPMs. I also noticed that power seems to build until 7k-ish and then it evened out until redline, but there was no discernable decrease in power after hitting peak power. Shifting at redline rewards you with being that much higher in the power-band when you hit the next gear. Plus, I had to tone down my style a bit to avoid chirping the rear GT 265s. The midrange power was equal to the rev-up without the MREV2 and Spacer. With mrev2 and spacer, the midrange advantage goes to the 06rev-up.

The answer to "is the HR faster, stock versus stock" is absolutely yes. It was enough faster for me to take a loss on the 06 and trade in for an 07. I could just tell it was more powerful and seemed slightly more refined than the 06 revup. And my 07 NEVER pings regardless of ambient temps. I made an assumption that dollar-for-dollar, mods for the HR would go farther than mods for the DE and I wanted a better base to start with. The 06 never gave me a ****-eating grin from acceleration and the 07 does... all the time

All of you arguing peak HP and TQ numbers need to start rethinking in terms of "area under the curve". Peak power is pretty much a meaningles number. It's a marketing/bragging number. You peak power/tq guys sound like people who buy those 1000watt "peak" power pyramid car amplifiers too (only $120.00!). I buy my amps by looking at "RMS output power, from 20Hz to 20kHz, from 11.5-15 volts, with all channels driven".

Early HR dynos by (motordyne, maybe?) clearly showed that there was much more area under the curve with the HR and that while you could mod your DE, it would take a LOT to match the area under the curve of the HR especially across the entire rpm range, and even then, you'd have to get that extra 500 RPMs at the top while continuing to build power with DE heads which are said to be a limiting factor on that engine (NA gains).

Now, if I had a heavily modded 06 (or earlier) that was nearly paid off, there's no way I'd trade for an 07. It's not that much better. I'd wait for the next gen z if I wanted to upgrade. Plus if you go and test-drive an HR and it does not feel that much differet to you, then it's clearly not worth an upgrade. But I was fairly early into the loan so I dropped some cash and went with the 07.

My wife has the MREV2 and spacer on her 06 rev-up z 6mt. If we are cruising down the highway, in 5th gear and we both punch it, she'll pull through the midrange, but once I get to 6k-6.5k, it's all over. Shifting at redline, I stay in a higher power-band the whole time and pull decisively.

The low-end torque of the HR doesn't help in racing conditions, but it really cuts down on the amount of shifting that I have to do in-town. In the HR, I can get reasonable enough power from 1.5k rpms that I seldom need to downshift (say in second gear). Even 2k rpms has noticeably more torque than than the DE rev-up. THe DE rev-up engine seemed to want to be at 3k rpms if you wanted reasonable acceleration or wanted to accelerate up a hill.

That's my 25 cent contribution to this thread...

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 01-01-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
zyou8er

k i have a 06 350z and when i start the car there is this noise and when i push the clutch peddle in the noise gose away and when i release the clutch peddle the noise is back i took it the then nissan and they said its my tranny and they put a new one in and i put 1000 miles on it to break it in and the noise is still there and it gets louder sumtimes need advice thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
sqashybus

Originally Posted by zyou8er
k i have a 06 350z and when i start the car there is this noise and when i push the clutch peddle in the noise gose away and when i release the clutch peddle the noise is back i took it the then nissan and they said its my tranny and they put a new one in and i put 1000 miles on it to break it in and the noise is still there and it gets louder sumtimes need advice thanks
is it like a belt noise?
mine makes the same sound.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
zyou8er

no its a wineing noise when ever i push the clutch in the noise gose away and when i release the clutch it comes back
Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM
sqashybus

Originally Posted by zyou8er
no its a wineing noise when ever i push the clutch in the noise gose away and when i release the clutch it comes back
I meant like it sounds like a treadmill.
If you know what i mean.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
zyou8er

no i dont sry im going to take it in to another nissan dealer and c what they say morrow
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Rexy7

anyone experience a strange rattle when going in to 1st gear on the 07 I know in netural the tranny kinda rattles, but I just noticed when I engage into 1st gear.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:23 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has nothing to do with this topic.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 AM
imjdoggie

Originally Posted by rickyislaZy
My 06 is slow..

+1
Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Shadrackc

Hiz-N-Herz
Great post. Someone who has had both, and you technically are sound in your observations. I came from 2 x 5 litre mustangs in my past and am used to monsterous torque with no refinement. I love the wide range of power in the 07 Z. You are right, from 1.5K up to redline the power is there, and silky smooth. As one of the reviewers on a British site said.....creamy powerband. I didn't drive the 06 that was on the dealers lot, but once I found out all the differences, it wasn't much choice. Even though I could have saved, I knew I would regret it if I purchased the 06 only because I wanted the latest and greatest.
They are all great cars....at least we don't have to deal with the massive amount of difference that goes on with the Corvette from year to year!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 AM
RBlover69

I love my 06 , ever since changed out my 04 Z i had nothing but fun with my 06. It hasnt got any lap time on the tracks of sebring yet like my 04 did on pocono up north but with my new engine having no oil consumption and mods finally going i place im very happy with it. The performance reminds me more of a s2k then my previous Z since the power band is all uptop as far as power.

My plans for my revup now are

Cosworth plenum or 1/2 spacer with mrev2
Metallic ho flow cats
TD exhaust probably going stillen
Crawford headers
WRP or KJR pulleys
3.9 or 4.0 final drive
Osirus flash to remove the speed limter and increase rev limit to 7.5k adjust VTC angles for more power but in reality i believe a haltech will be all that i need .
With that haltech a nice tune to see if with the cosworth i could make power in the higher rpm
get my 255/285 tire setup pole position tire setup
varis air duct
a veilside V1 lip
mastergrade rear diffuser
quest to find a CF hood with inserted latches thats actaully lighter then stock .
Lighter seats
lighter braille CF battery

and for my last mod a nice 100wet shot.
And trust me when im done i will have no problem with stock HRs i can assure you especially on SEBRING.

i drove a 07 .....i was impressed with the new engine design but..as for a trade its not worth it in my opinion if you currently have a Z unless you have a auto lmao or getting a limited nismo edition. Other then that to me its a right off until the 370 gets hear ..or much more wanted the 380 ...though that will never see the USA.

Last edited by RBlover69; 01-02-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they didn't allow NOS on a road course due to safety? At least here they don't.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I thought they didn't allow NOS on a road course due to safety? At least here they don't.
they dont on HPDE events unfortuntly , but if you rent the track at pocono you can run a unlimtied setup solo no times. I used to watch viper owners tear it up The 100shot i would use for personal use.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 AM
MagneticZ33

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Wow, y'all... That's a lot of end-of-year arguing...

I am not a magazine racer, nor bench racer, nor drag racer. I just love to drive my cars and am very in tune with every nuance - I can tell differences in acceleration due to ambient temps. I can tell when a single tire is low on air (not using the TPMS). I can tell when they are all a couple PSI low or high due to changes in ambient temps and barometric pressure.

I owned an 06 6MT revup for 8 months. Coming from a 97 M3 (240HP) with 220k miles, I was not very impressed with the "300 HP" 06 z (BTW, I used to commute 150 miles per day in the M3. I bought the Z when I quit commuting). I thought it felt the same as my M3. Not really any faster at all, like I had hoped. Plus, the 06 turned out to be an oil-burner Plus it pinged like a biotch if it was any warmer than 65 degrees outside.

I installed the MREV2 and spacer and that really fattened up the midrange (4k to 5.5k. any higher than 6k RPMS did not really yield any additional power. Power kinda fell off after 6k. There was really no reward in waiting to shift until 7k rpms. Also, there was not much low-end torque (below 3k) compared to the M3. Also, I could never chirp the GT rims with OEM 265 tires from the 1-2 shift. I tried!

Then I test-drove an 07 z with the HR. It had enough miles to be past the initial break-in, (BTW, I think the VQ engines are not really broken-in power-wise until they get about 7k-8k miles). But already, I could tell that it had much more torque under 3k RPMs. I also noticed that power seems to build until 7k-ish and then it evened out until redline, but there was no discernable decrease in power after hitting peak power. Shifting at redline rewards you with being that much higher in the power-band when you hit the next gear. Plus, I had to tone down my style a bit to avoid chirping the rear GT 265s. The midrange power was equal to the rev-up without the MREV2 and Spacer. With mrev2 and spacer, the midrange advantage goes to the 06rev-up.

The answer to "is the HR faster, stock versus stock" is absolutely yes. It was enough faster for me to take a loss on the 06 and trade in for an 07. I could just tell it was more powerful and seemed slightly more refined than the 06 revup. And my 07 NEVER pings regardless of ambient temps. I made an assumption that dollar-for-dollar, mods for the HR would go farther than mods for the DE and I wanted a better base to start with. The 06 never gave me a ****-eating grin from acceleration and the 07 does... all the time

All of you arguing peak HP and TQ numbers need to start rethinking in terms of "area under the curve". Peak power is pretty much a meaningles number. It's a marketing/bragging number. You peak power/tq guys sound like people who buy those 1000watt "peak" power pyramid car amplifiers too (only $120.00!). I buy my amps by looking at "RMS output power, from 20Hz to 20kHz, from 11.5-15 volts, with all channels driven".

Early HR dynos by (motordyne, maybe?) clearly showed that there was much more area under the curve with the HR and that while you could mod your DE, it would take a LOT to match the area under the curve of the HR especially across the entire rpm range, and even then, you'd have to get that extra 500 RPMs at the top while continuing to build power with DE heads which are said to be a limiting factor on that engine (NA gains).

Now, if I had a heavily modded 06 (or earlier) that was nearly paid off, there's no way I'd trade for an 07. It's not that much better. I'd wait for the next gen z if I wanted to upgrade. Plus if you go and test-drive an HR and it does not feel that much differet to you, then it's clearly not worth an upgrade. But I was fairly early into the loan so I dropped some cash and went with the 07.

My wife has the MREV2 and spacer on her 06 rev-up z 6mt. If we are cruising down the highway, in 5th gear and we both punch it, she'll pull through the midrange, but once I get to 6k-6.5k, it's all over. Shifting at redline, I stay in a higher power-band the whole time and pull decisively.

The low-end torque of the HR doesn't help in racing conditions, but it really cuts down on the amount of shifting that I have to do in-town. In the HR, I can get reasonable enough power from 1.5k rpms that I seldom need to downshift (say in second gear). Even 2k rpms has noticeably more torque than than the DE rev-up. THe DE rev-up engine seemed to want to be at 3k rpms if you wanted reasonable acceleration or wanted to accelerate up a hill.

That's my 25 cent contribution to this thread...

Every car runs differently you can take 6 of the same cars from the same production and run them at the track they will all run different.
BTW i have raced about 12 HR's in my area if we race from a stop the pull me by about a half a car then at about 90 i coast by and pull about one car and at about 140 pull some more.

If we start at 80 the keep up until 125 then i pull about a car and a half

At first i thought it was because my car had more miles but the last 3 i ran were early 07's ranging between 19k-32k

BTW all I have is an 06 REV-UP with 36k on the body and 4k on the new REV-UP and a jwt pop charger

2 of my good friends have HR's i Have driven then im FEELIN the low end of the HR but i think that may have something to do with the gearing because the main difference is in the 2nd to 3rd gear transition.
BUT what real racer runs from a stop lol

THEASE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES IM NOT GOD lol

BTW THE CLUTCH PEDAL FEEL AND ENGAGEMENT SUX BALLLZ ON THE O7
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM
RBlover69

they use a new clutch feature which supposed to help launch the car and maintain staedy engagement at a given rpm . But it has proven to mostly cause tsbs lmao. and a flat clutch petal. The 06.5 350z have all but that feature and the HR motor of course.

Last edited by RBlover69; 01-02-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have 3100 miles on mine and it can chirp 1st to 2nd to 3rd easily. BTW im running 305s in the back so yeah they have some power...
Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
RBlover69

you can chirp gears on a 3 cyc geo metro thats not a testament of power.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RBlover69
you can chirp gears on a 3 cyc geo metro thats not a testament of power.
Yeah on maybe some 165s or something.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Yeah on maybe some 165s or something.
still its a joke to hear people talking about chirping tires....you can chirp tires on a mountain bike.

Quick Reply: Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?