Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rebuilt/Salvage 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Mutiny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt/Salvage 350z?

I'm just curious who all has Rebuilt / bought a Salvage 350z? I found a lightly hit 350z for a decent price, and wanted to see who else has rebuilt one? I know a few on here have one. I just wanted their opinion, would you do it over again? Did it cost more/less than you thought? How did you find most of the parts?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 12:45 PM
knx2

Default hmm

I would find out exactly what happened to it. Anything with the frame will cause the car to be ****. Take it for a test drive and make sure it is straight.
Personally I would NEVER buy a car that has been rebuilt. Hard to resell as well.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 PM
banshee

If you plan on keeping the car forever then salvage cars are a great deal. IF the work done to it was good and if there isn't frame or mechanical damage. I looked at one that was priced about $6k less than a comperable non-crashed one in my area. But definately be careful.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Mutiny

Well the car hasn't been repaired yet, so I would be doing all the work myself. It was hit on the front, and both the bags are blown. But both fenders are perfect, and the bumper support brace needs replaced. I'm going to see if the frame has any damage. Has anyone else ever repaired their own?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:54 PM
SA Z-boi

I bought a rebuilt z that i sold to a friend, and bought another one bc i missed it so much. The new one i have is not rebuilt. The rebuilt one was a 03 that had damage to the front bumper and drivers side fender. The car drove great had no problems with it at all, and it still has not problems. it only has 39,000 miles. You are talking a chance with it but i would rather go with a rebuilt than a salvage, bc rebuilt titles are rebuilt to the point where they are safe to drive on the road and them must be inspected inorder to receive the rebuilt title. Check the car good and definetly test driver her.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
zkicker

They don't put salvage or rebuilt titles on lightly damaged vehicles.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 PM
crawfeesh

Originally Posted by zkicker
They don't put salvage or rebuilt titles on lightly damaged vehicles.
I see "salvage due to theft" vehicles on craigslist all of the time - what's the deal with these? Sounds like it wasn't major, but it's gotta be for them to total it.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
GodSendsDeath

Good luck!!! Just take into account of how much it will cost you to rebuild and how much a new runs you.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
SA Z-boi

Sure they do. They put salvaged titles on theft cars. they dont have damage on the outside, just the inside is missing some components
Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Mutiny

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. But i've been pricing it out and fully repaired its going to run me roughly 10k. But I havent seen it in person yet, so there could definately be a little more money involved.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Mutiny
It was hit on the front, and both the bags are blown.

Yes, i believe it is salvage title.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

i will NOT do that,

i rather buy high milies Z for cheap price and Rebuilt....
Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by banshee
If you plan on keeping the car forever then salvage cars are a great deal. IF the work done to it was good and if there isn't frame or mechanical damage. I looked at one that was priced about $6k less than a comperable non-crashed one in my area. But definately be careful.
$6K will go REAL FAST if there are unrevealed problems!!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 PM
R3VAN
Banned

Originally Posted by SA Z-boi
Sure they do. They put salvaged titles on theft cars. they dont have damage on the outside, just the inside is missing some components
They get the titles for being stolen because they have no idea wtf car thieves have done to the car in an hour or even longer dpending on how long theyve had it. Ive seen a Z stolen, recover in a lil over an hour and had both doors removed, fenders, hood, and front bumper all gone. Other things too that I cant remember, but those were the biggies
Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 PM
angelzhope720

Originally Posted by z350boy
$6K will go REAL FAST if there are unrevealed problems!!!!!

+1

If you're looking to buying a sports car, maybe you should spend a little extra $$$$ for an accident free Z. After all, Z's are going dirt cheap these days.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Mutiny

Well say that the right frame rail is slightly messed up. Has anyone replaced that kind of damage before? I was thinking it would be a cut and weld job, but someone said that there are actually replacement frame rails? I've never heard of that for the Z before?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 PM
carnutfl

i've bought 4 cars that had rebuilt titles in the last two years. I felt so comfortable with them that I gave them to my grandchildren for their graduations. The latest one is a 35th anniversary edition 350z which sustained side impact damage which blew the side airbags. It drives and tracks great. None of the other ones were a problem either. Remember if the owner of a car doesn't have deductible insurance and is in a big wreck, chances are the car will not show up as rebuilt anyway.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Mutiny

If you don't mind me asking, have any of the cars you bought had frame damage? And did you buy them rebuilt or did you repair them yourself?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:19 PM
imjdoggie

The salvage/rebuilt rules are different in each state so be careful. I would stay away from either one unless like someone said earlier you never intend to get rid of it.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 PM
xamraci

Originally Posted by crawfeesh
I see "salvage due to theft" vehicles on craigslist all of the time - what's the deal with these? Sounds like it wasn't major, but it's gotta be for them to total it.

Once a cars value has been decreased to a certain ammount, even due to theft it can be labled SALVAGE once restored or in its resting condition. For example...Integra TYPE Rs can be had for 10-11k with LOW miles on salvage theft titles, Mainly because...the engine isnt the factory engine, the interior isnt the factory interior, replacement suspension, airbags, brakes, ect. A low milage ITR can be had for about 17-20k for those who didnt know.

Some insurance companies are crazy enough to list BENT jack points as FRAME damage which can totally WRECk the resale of your vehicle.(such was they case on my buddies 01 2.5RS, that was a FUN thing to explain to the new owner...who was a jack@$$ anyway)

All in all, if you want one for a FUN car then DO IT but know that you are going to be driving something that you might get 40-60% of the value of if it gets wrecked or stolen or whatever. And sometimes you cant even fully insure salvage or rebuilt title vehilces for full coverage.(depends on your insurance company, most are reluctant to insure salvage/rebuilt title cars)

Quick Reply: Rebuilt/Salvage 350z?