Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can dealers match any APR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:04 AM
vice86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can dealers match any APR?

When I bought my Z they told me 5.9% financing on what we were borrowing...they said they'd do a credit check to see if we can get 4.9% cuz my sister mentioned that % to us....we have EXCELLENT credit yet they came back with "im sorry..5.9%" which is BS cuz we have one of the highest credit ratings you can get plus a super low debt to income ration...so we fought for 4.9% and the guy said "we wont lose a sale over 1 point".

Now my sister is getting an Audi A4 3.0 with 1.9% APR....can any dealer match this or is it usually a car company thing...like can it be an Audi/VW thing only. My wife called Nissan and basically told her "we dont know about every APR out there" and that they cant do it....they told us before they bought the car they could match..so she called them liars and hung up on them.

SHOULD a dealer be able to match?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:16 AM
jesseenglish

Basically Nissan's primary financing company offers a certain percentage rate (not sure what that is right now), but that isn't the only source or funding available.

They dealers also contract with other banks and credit unions in your local area for certain percentage rates, with the dealer getting a percentage of the profit.

The dealer is right that there's no way for them to know all of the percentage rates available right now and I doubt you'll be able to get 1.9%, but I got financing at 3.9% through a local bank that my dealer had a contract with.

The main thing that you've got to remember is that the dealers aren't financing ****, it's the banks/credit unions that determine the finance rate.

The way I did it is I found the best rate I could (4.25%) and then asked the dealer if they could beat it. Generally they can, but they won't try if they don't think you know any better because the higher the rate the finance company charges you the more money the dealer gets paid from the finance company.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:01 AM
jnebill

Default I second that

jesseenglish is right on the money. Find a fair rate you're willing to pay, then ask if Nissan could beat it. Two months ago, I was quoted a decent rate through USAA, 5.1%. Nissan dug around and found me a 4.1% through Wells Fargo. It all depends on what rates they can find with different companies.

Also, individual car companies may be paying financial institutions for special financing...ie. 0%, 0.9%, or even 1.9% like your Audi dealer. These are definately well below prevailing market rates and are used to sell more cars and beat the competition. Keep in mind that dealers may be less willing to come down on the price of the car, as they have paid out of pocket for low finance rates, so in the end, you still pay!
Old 06-16-2003, 06:28 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rates like 1.9 are typically promotional rates... of which there are NO promotions on the Z. its like 0% financing. I have not seen rates under like 4.9 myself without it being an incentive.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
bshockley

Check out Peoplefirst.com They have rates as good as 3.79 for like 36 months. 48-60 months is like 4.09. I don't work for them I have just been looking around for rates like yourself. It's worht a look anyway.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:42 PM
AceOfSpade

I just got my car this past Friday and before I got to the dealer, I mentioned that I was looking for financing before I stopped by. He then said that he should consider the dealer's financing and that they would try to beat it, which they did.

He asked me what will it take to get me to drive the Z out the lot, so I said, take some off the price, and get me under 5%.

I walked out with 4.87%.

Keep in mind, I have 1 credit card with 0 balance each month and have no outstanding debts. So you credit line could be a great factor as well.