Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need help on preventing theft...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
pooked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thanks for replies guys i do have lowest percentage tints so as it is its pretty hard to see inside, actually only time you can see inside is if its daylight and sun is going in through front so it brightens inside bit more and makes it easier to see everything other then that its pretty pitch dark, i'l probably buy like a solar protector thingie for front windshield. But what you've all said is true you can only slow down the bastard how sad is that fellas ? and yup some people just dont care if they go to jail.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 PM
ed350

Do's and Don'ton't: play loud music around your neighborhood. go to bars and movies...any wheres there drunks and teenagers are hanging out.DO'S: Park far away when go to groceries shopping...Take your girlfriend or you mom cars when going to public places..For me the only time I would take my z is going on a hot date.."HOT"..Meets and cruises..and weekend only any places where I will be close to my car..any way list goes on and on..some example for you.... I think you know that if they want something from your car they will get it...theres no stopping them..
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
ZKansasZ

Originally Posted by banshee
Word count: 81
Punctuation: 2

The guy posted a question for ways to protect his toys.
You posted an English101 reply and it has NOTHING to do to help him out. What r u, a grammar police? Or do you just add post count???

To the OP, beside investing in a good alarm system with hidden kill switch and 2nd battery, idk what else you can do...Thieves are very, very good nowaday!!!

(Idk if I have made any grammar error in my reply. Can someone double check for me??)
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 AM
HDPDZO6

Best way to deter theft of your car is to make it less appealing than the vehicles around it. Otherwise, it's just a matter of the odds game.

Best advice is to make sure you have adequate insurance coverage for your vehicle. If someone wants your car (or what's inside) bad enough, there isn't much you can really do.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/bigblackben.html
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your screen name is wrong. You need to add an S to it. As in Spooked.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
NickRaine78

Attached Thumbnails Need help on preventing theft...-ricky-bobby-cougar.jpg  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:47 AM
pooked

lol....very nicely done, well i was looking around and was thinking of going with Clifford G5 Matrix 50.5 or 70.5 anyone know the difference, i honestly think is just the color screens. Also if anyone has this alarm is it any good?.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
Mount razor blades around your equipment, we do that here.
Ahah! And I thought I was crazy! My father and I mounted razor blades on the back of his Kenwood DNX-7100 after it'd been stolen once. My equipment's not in my car yet, but if they do grab the Pioneer AVIC-D3, they'll only get the touch screen face, which is useless without the brain. The amplifiers will be hidden and the subs are going to be flush mounted in the floor of the hatch, so they'd need to unscrew them to get them out.

Exercise stealth when installing aftermarket equipment. That's step one, and if you don't do that, then expect your **** to be stolen.

In addition, though, my car's got a Python 990 (SST Mile range) 2-way alarm and a Viper GPS210V that's sort of like a lojack but better. If you're interested, contact me for details.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Fairly Z

Also, based on experience, DO NOT purchase the Clifford 70.5 with the color responder. It's the same as the Viper 7900 and the Python 1090. They absolutely suck. I know this because I had one in my Z up until now. I switched it with the Python 990 that does not have a color screen, it is black and white.

The color responder models made by DEI have a number of flaws I'd like to point out.

1. Horrible delay time for confirmation response.
2. Intermittent functionality. (Sometimes it works.)
3. Insufficient range. (Only has about 500 Feet of range in comparison to the roughly 5,000 ft. range of the Viper 5900, Python 990 and Clifford 50.5X.)
4. Has been known to deliver a 'PANIC' message when the car is not actually in panic.
5. More trouble than it's worth, considering that you have to charge the remote with a wall / USB outlet every three days.
6. Too expensive. I'm an authorized dealer and even for me the price is ridiculous for the color responder pieces. The only reason I had one was because I fell for the color screen, which was definitely cool for about two days.

If you want a really reliable 2-Way piece, use the Viper 5900, Python 990, Clifford 50.5X. There are even some from other brands.

The Prestige APS-997 is a piece that we have vended for as long as it's been in production, and it's seriously bullet-proof. It doesn't have a mile in range, but it's always sure to work. It's rated at 1,000 ft. of range. Or, if you wanted the mile, Prestige also makes the XR9000, which does have it. However, we've found that this piece also has somewhat of a delay time in comparison to others.

Another brand to consider is CompuStar. They have 2-way remotes with 3,000 ft. and are also very reliable.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Zrealsoon

Exclamation

Originally Posted by stev3
gps alarm system

what this does is once the car is broken into, you get a text message or call to your phone or a message on your computer and a signal follows it, but i think you have to pay monthly membership so they can always keep a signal on your car.

or

get all these ---->2 way alarm, lo_jack, and have like 2 - 4 killswitches

but all these that i recommended just prevent car thief (car from being driven away and scaring the thief away)

now your dvd player, i have no clue how you can prevent that, best way is tint, so they can't see into it
I second the first statement...
With the Viper 2-way alarm and The GPS with backup battery..
Also, motion sensors as well as shock etc...
I have spent a few nights with buddies trying to jack my own car.... meaning trying to find ways to get around the alarm.. the worst case is they pull the battery and my keychain is out of range. In that case my keychain alarm doesn't go off, however.. the backup battery on the viper gps has already placed a call to my cellphone within <3 seconds as well as sent off e-mails etc...
Cost is $100/year.. worth it if you ask me.

So, the point is this gives you a heads up and is pretty difficult to get around... all that matters is how quickly you can get to your car and whether or not you really want to take on whoever is breaking into it.

Last edited by Zrealsoon; 02-12-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these comments about mounting razor blades behind/around stereos are hilarious! You can't possibly be serious. What exactly will this do really? Give you DNA samples? Instead of ending up with a busted window and stolen stereo, you will just **** the hell out of the thief and raise the probability of ending up with a really fcuked up car with banged-up sheet metal, blood-laced and otherwise destroyed interior etc. etc. Not to mention a clever (and ballsy) crook could take you to court (trust me, you WILL lose; stranger things have happened).

Things people say on the Internet...tsk...tsk
Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by pooked
hey fellas i need a ideas on how to prevent theft, one of my best friend works around my job and had a 2 din dvd player and his thing was jacked off his car even with the alarm that warns you when your car is being broken into and another friend got his actual car jacked well a honda civic they jacked the actual car alarm and all im sure anyone good can jack w/e they want but this is my question.

i bought a JVC KW-AVX800 2 din dvd player do you guys know where i can purchase and if it exists like a cover plate for it or something to prevent people from outside to see its there? Thanks again for your help.

get out the ghetto man!!. .nah well tinting will only make people want to know whats inside hence for the tint itself. .and if neone really wants your car. .they can get it with or with out an alarm. .alarms are so common these days no one cares when they hear one going off cause 8-10 times it's a false alarm. .
Only alarm i seen work to it's full potential is my buddies g35 was bout to get robbed when his big *** german Shepard jumped out at the guy and messed him up till my buddy came out of the store..

truthfully tho if someone wants it. .they'll get it. .reasons why i dont drive my car to places where i cant see the car. .
EX: Movies~Malls~(some malls ok)~ NEwark NJ_ haha. . .
Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
Also, based on experience, DO NOT purchase the Clifford 70.5 with the color responder. It's the same as the Viper 7900 and the Python 1090. They absolutely suck. I know this because I had one in my Z up until now. I switched it with the Python 990 that does not have a color screen, it is black and white.

The color responder models made by DEI have a number of flaws I'd like to point out.

1. Horrible delay time for confirmation response.
2. Intermittent functionality. (Sometimes it works.)
3. Insufficient range. (Only has about 500 Feet of range in comparison to the roughly 5,000 ft. range of the Viper 5900, Python 990 and Clifford 50.5X.)
4. Has been known to deliver a 'PANIC' message when the car is not actually in panic.
5. More trouble than it's worth, considering that you have to charge the remote with a wall / USB outlet every three days.
6. Too expensive. I'm an authorized dealer and even for me the price is ridiculous for the color responder pieces. The only reason I had one was because I fell for the color screen, which was definitely cool for about two days.

If you want a really reliable 2-Way piece, use the Viper 5900, Python 990, Clifford 50.5X. There are even some from other brands.

The Prestige APS-997 is a piece that we have vended for as long as it's been in production, and it's seriously bullet-proof. It doesn't have a mile in range, but it's always sure to work. It's rated at 1,000 ft. of range. Or, if you wanted the mile, Prestige also makes the XR9000, which does have it. However, we've found that this piece also has somewhat of a delay time in comparison to others.

Another brand to consider is CompuStar. They have 2-way remotes with 3,000 ft. and are also very reliable.
This guys shop put in my CompuStar 2 way alarm. At first I said **** thats a lot of money for an alarm. But you cant beat the features and service they provided. The Service that Dan, Charlie and Dan's father gave me was great. I mean they really went out of there way to make sure I was happy. Alarm has been good to me so far, with the exception of a bad pager, quickly replaced though. The range is pretty good, I can be in the movies and auto start my car from inside the theater so range wise def good. Also this alarm works with stick shift if you want auto start. Very safe to, you have to go thru a series of steps to setup the auto start. Last time i had auto start on a stick shift car I had to chase after it in the mall parking lot (not fun, and very embarrassing).

On a side note, I also put surveillance cameras all around my house, 2 looking at the car alone. I went away for vacation and came back to see my Z stripped, promised I would do what it takes to ensure that doesn't happen again.

So yeah, I'm a paranoid but its better to be safe then sorry.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 AM
DraGonAlchemist

ALL THEM ALARMS ARE MADE BY THE SAME CO.. . .THEY ALL SUCK!!!!!

and Compustar's the WORST. .although you may like it. .it's not as great as u expect. ..my Coworker has it on his BMW. .garbage im sorry to say. .truthfully in my Z i have a cheap $60 cut off switch, that has to be pressed for anything to work/with Key. .Got it at HIN in AC one year works amazingly well.
For my hood release i've cut it and i can only open my hood with the stock Car alarm unlock button pressed 3 times. I figure take whats inside just dont steal the car or take my engine parts.
to top it all off the guy who i bought it from had LO JACK. .so i kept it going and upgraded to internet GPS. .in case ish happens!!

less i hire a 24/7 sniper i'll never be totally safe. .but i keep it looking (exterior) as close to stock as possible so i dont bring attention to it. .

Last edited by DraGonAlchemist; 02-12-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by banshee
Word count: 81
Punctuation: 2

Was kinda thinking the same thing.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Thumbs up

VEHICLE THEFT PREVENTION PROGRAM
get a girlfriend who drives you everywhere

in her car of course!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 PM
RoTors350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proper English not required
Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
ALL THEM ALARMS ARE MADE BY THE SAME CO.. . .THEY ALL SUCK!!!!!

and Compustar's the WORST. .although you may like it. .it's not as great as u expect. ..my Coworker has it on his BMW. .garbage im sorry to say. .truthfully in my Z i have a cheap $60 cut off switch, that has to be pressed for anything to work/with Key. .Got it at HIN in AC one year works amazingly well.
For my hood release i've cut it and i can only open my hood with the stock Car alarm unlock button pressed 3 times. I figure take whats inside just dont steal the car or take my engine parts.
to top it all off the guy who i bought it from had LO JACK. .so i kept it going and upgraded to internet GPS. .in case ish happens!!

less i hire a 24/7 sniper i'll never be totally safe. .but i keep it looking (exterior) as close to stock as possible so i dont bring attention to it. .
They're not all made by the same company at all. In fact, you have three completely different manufacturers I mentioned. Directed Electronics, Audiovox Corporation and Firstech LLC. The truth of the matter is that there are only a couple of alarm systems out there that actually are junk, like CrimeStopper and Bulldog.

If your buddy had it in his car and it didn't work, it's likely that he didn't have a professional installation. CompuStar alarms are some of the best, I assure you. In fact, their technology is ahead of anybody else's, including DEI's. The only reason I got a Python was for the range.

You can't go and say that alarms suck when you don't actually know enough about them to say that. You could buy the best alarm on the market, but if it wasn't installed correctly, you're gonna have problems no matter what.

Thanks for your support, Rally.

I hope you're enjoying your alarm! And I'm glad you got around that problem with your high to low converter. Planning on any new modifications soon? My Z is going to be undergoing a full electronics makeover while I'm away in Texas in March. Before that happens, though, it's going to sit in a body shop for a week and a half because I smacked up the front end a bit... But that's okay because I got a Stillen style bumper to replace it. Hope to talk to you soon!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Most theft is the result of being dumb:

Parking in a movie theatre parking lot where a bunch of punks hang out.

Parking at club where a bunch of punks hang out.

Going to a party in a strange neighbourhood and parking on the street.
+1

Quick Reply: Need help on preventing theft...