Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need help on preventing theft...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
angelzhope720

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind it's usually not the screen you should be worried about. It's what they damage without a care to get to your screen.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Nick204k

Limo tint will solve this issue.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
WhiteNoiz

kills switches are a good idea, but Ive seen a thread or two about Z's being stolen on a flatbed.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, z's can be stolen with tow trucks. ive heard of that, just slam ur car and that will make the car untowable. haha
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by xxxlino
yeah, z's can be stolen with tow trucks. ive heard of that, just slam ur car and that will make the car untowable. haha
There seem to be a lot of people taking this approach lately.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM
pooked

only problem w/ slamming is afterwards if its too low can't have it lifted in certain shops or well it'l be a pain to use a jack then the lift lol, but ya thats a good idea, anywho i was thinking an alarm and i know nothing is 100% but since i park real far away at work an alarm with a motion sensor would help since i know no one would park near me so anyone walking around my car would def. be suspicious so that would be a good idea. i know clifford g5 50 has motion sensors but does anyone know if it comes with the original packaging?.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 PM
boostinger

you can try this i found it in a differnt forum but a guy took his stock head unit and cut it to fit in the double din on his dvd player so you can try this i think thats what im going to do or some others took a picture of the stock and then stick that on. it looks ok at night but if you just take a quick look i think it might work he said it did but just a few ideas
Attached Thumbnails Need help on preventing theft...-img_3787.jpg  
Old 02-14-2008, 11:19 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sean1967
carefull of inside jobs, if a shop put in the alarm an knew he had the stereo, that is a possible susspect.

when possible, pay cash and use a parents address or po box so they can't get your car later.
What if the shop writes down you vin# , or the insurance cards everyone keeps in their glovebox??
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
They're not all made by the same company at all. In fact, you have three completely different manufacturers I mentioned. Directed Electronics, Audiovox Corporation and Firstech LLC. The truth of the matter is that there are only a couple of alarm systems out there that actually are junk, like CrimeStopper and Bulldog.

If your buddy had it in his car and it didn't work, it's likely that he didn't have a professional installation. CompuStar alarms are some of the best, I assure you. In fact, their technology is ahead of anybody else's, including DEI's. The only reason I got a Python was for the range.

You can't go and say that alarms suck when you don't actually know enough about them to say that. You could buy the best alarm on the market, but if it wasn't installed correctly, you're gonna have problems no matter what.

Thanks for your support, Rally.

I hope you're enjoying your alarm! And I'm glad you got around that problem with your high to low converter. Planning on any new modifications soon? My Z is going to be undergoing a full electronics makeover while I'm away in Texas in March. Before that happens, though, it's going to sit in a body shop for a week and a half because I smacked up the front end a bit... But that's okay because I got a Stillen style bumper to replace it. Hope to talk to you soon!
I love my alarm system man. The range is great on it. It has served every purpose I asked for. The auto start on a stick shift works like a dream. Nothing like getting in a warm car with your seat warmers all ready heated up for you. Also the 2 way system works great. The extra sensors you put in was an added bonus. Plus I have Lo-Jack from the dealer. I also put surveillance cameras all over the house. Paranoid nahhhh my **** was robbed before plenty of times. Danny knows the story. I moved, and installed all this security. Dont ever want to see my Z on the ground like that again. Love how people talk about something they don't even know about.

As for any updates to the car. I plan on doing a Veilside V1 Lip kit for the car, as well as tint my windows. Don't plan on doing to much after that. I've been saving for a Jet Boat, and its either that or a Turbo Setup. So.... Im going with a jet boat We should get up during 1 of the Z meets on the Island.

Last edited by RedBullRR; 02-15-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
I love my alarm system man. The range is great on it. It has served every purpose I asked for. The auto start on a stick shift works like a dream. Nothing like getting in a warm car with your seat warmers all ready heated up for you. Also the 2 way system works great. The extra sensors you put in was an added bonus. Plus I have Lo-Jack from the dealer. I also put surveillance cameras all over the house. Paranoid nahhhh my **** was robbed before plenty of times. Danny knows the story. I moved, and installed all this security. Dont ever want to see my Z on the ground like that again. Love how people talk about something they don't even know about.

As for any updates to the car. I plan on doing a Veilside V1 Lip kit for the car, as well as tint my windows. Don't plan on doing to much after that. I've been saving for a Jet Boat, and its either that or a Turbo Setup. So.... Im going with a jet boat We should get up during 1 of the Z meets on the Island.
I'd go jet boat. I love the water. Let me know when you want to tint your windows, I'll be sure to give you the best deal I can. And yeah, we should - I just don't know when TSZ33 meets anymore.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by pooked
hey fellas i need a ideas on how to prevent theft, one of my best friend works around my job and had a 2 din dvd player and his thing was jacked off his car even with the alarm that warns you when your car is being broken into and another friend got his actual car jacked well a honda civic they jacked the actual car alarm and all im sure anyone good can jack w/e they want but this is my question.

i bought a JVC KW-AVX800 2 din dvd player do you guys know where i can purchase and if it exists like a cover plate for it or something to prevent people from outside to see its there? Thanks again for your help.
Wait.. what were we talking about?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 PM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by RedBullRR

So whats special about the remote start on a manual with this particular alarm as compared to aforementioned alarm which caused chasing around a parking lot?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Fairly Z

The CompuStar system requires the driver to do a procedure before they get out of the car that will allow the car to remote start when they come back, and ensure that the emergency brake is in place. If the car starts in first with the emergency brake on, the car will simply stall out. Other remote starts don't have the ability to implement this procedure and would simply start even if the emergency brake wasn't on, which would send the car flying into an unsuspecting pedestrian.

Because the CompuStar systems have this feature, we're authorized by law to install them. Any remote start that does not have this feature that is installed in a manual transmission car is technically illegal, and can land the retailer that installed it with a huge lawsuit. And, if anyone was wondering why I don't have a CompuStar, it's because my Z is an automatic.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
pooked

yeah people always bring up the issue of installing remote start on manual cars, i had gone to a shop to ask about alarm systems and the tech didnt want to install the clifford with auto start on my car for sheer fact that it was stick. Now i keep reading mixed feedback on the CompuStart Alarm, what are the pros and cons of it?? keep looking online but people either say it sucks or is the best lol so not seeing real reasons, google is failing on me .
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
BE350Z

I live in a bad area so i got a masterlock club, with the steering wheel locked it covers my din area. Or you could get a boot for your car... Not only will it not get stolen, it wont get tickets since meter readers figure someone already booted it!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
BERTO

Problem Solved...

http://www.break.com/index/trunkmonkey.html
Old 02-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Fairly Z

The pros to the CompuStar systems are those that I already listed. The cons would be:

1: The fact that you have to enable remote start through a series of steps using the e-brake. Some people regard this as a major hassle, and would rather install a normal remote start so that they might just save that couple seconds of their life every time they want to remote start their cars.

2: Technology is never perfect, no matter who makes it. While it is very reliable product, I can imagine that there have been some instances in which something has gone wrong, and something began working incorrectly. The reason you find a lot of bitching about it on the internet is because people only post such things because they're pissed off. I don't think anybody would come home after using their remote start successfully all day and make a new thread about "Wow, my **** worked the way it was supposed to." But, if they did, you'd likely find a lot more of those.

3. Like I said before, if it wasn't installed correctly, it's not going to work correctly. There are a lot of things that can go wrong during an alarm / remote start install. A lot of the bad rep for CompuStar is more than likely coming from guys that had them installed at Joe Shmoe's Audio - you know, those little places that look like they were originally tattoo parlors, or photo mats.

Luckily, there are a couple of authorized installation centers for CompuStar that you can count on. Make sure they include a lifetime warranty on not only the product, but also on the installation and labor. We do this.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
island03z

Had a friend with a nice turbo honda do a couple cool tricks. There was a master power switch hidden inside the shift boot, the fuel pump power was routed through the window lock button and the starter button was routed inside the air vent. That way if she absolutley had to park in a shady area she would just switch the master and fuel pump switch off. Still not stolen yet As for detering breakins, don't give people a reason to break into it. My dads truck got broken into cuz he left his ashtray open with a bunch of change in it. People will steal anything these days.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:37 AM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/cheap...cks#1026830522
sry
Old 02-23-2008, 02:15 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
Mount razor blades around your equipment, we do that here.
Who does that?

Quick Reply: Need help on preventing theft...