Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Issues with the Front Bumper, and the pathetic paint....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 10:41 PM
travis9_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with the Front Bumper, and the pathetic paint....

Well, As Everyone here has no doubt figured out, nissans paint job is somewhat subpar, if not a lot...

Like many others, My front bumper has well over 100 (yes, I have counted) paint chips in it...at 2348 miles....

Im going to speak with the dealer tommarrow...

Although, thats not the only issue, I have scraped (*cringe..*) my front bumper slightly on a large speed bump, so Im looking to replace it either OEM or aftermarket..

I also ordered this:
http://www.350z-accessories.com/members.htm) I will report on fit and finish once I get it

Couple of quick questions, I have a friend who claims Nissan Factory OEM parts, plastic parts anyways, are painted, from the factory, is this true? Can I order a factory painted front Bumper from Nissan? Any word on price if so? And Even if not, any word on price of a non painted front bumper?

Morover, is there any aftermarket company (Stillen, Veilside, etc) That sells a front bumper replacement, that is painted already?

I simply do not trust the paint job I can get done at a dealer, or a so called "High End" Paint shop...at least around here...

Nothing compares to factory in my opinion...such has been my experience...Always seems to be mild bumps in the paint where lint fell in it while painting, or perhaps the clearcoat has an odd texture, etc...Granted, Nissans paint job is crap as well..

However, I live in Middle Tennessee, and, does anyone know off hand of a halfway decent paint shop in these parts? If I do replace the front bumper with an aftermarket, I want a DAMN good paint job, and, Im willing to pay for it...
Old 06-19-2003, 11:04 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm 6000miles and I have a single chip in my hood.

might want to ride a bit farther back from the cars in front of you. and dont tell me its not possible, cause my car says otherwise.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:49 AM
jmark

I agree ares. I never ride up under someone. You are asking for trouble. I also think my PPW paint job is much better than the CS one I had first.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:59 AM
1200tt

get a clear bra. It's hardly noticible, and it protects from rock chips.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
justwant1

I'm with ares, I have over 12000 miles and if I have more than one chip, I'd be surprised.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Montez

I have about 3 or 4 with 6,000 miles, invest in a Clear Bra or Nose mask. Nissan isnt know fo their durable paint up front!
Old 06-20-2003, 02:39 PM
RobJames

If you don't have any dents or dings in the very soft clear coat on the front bumper, you aren't driving your car. I used to check them all out for this when I saw them to see if it was a problem with my car only and I haven't seen a Z yet with over a couple of thousand miles that doesn't have all kinds (100s) of rock dings in the bumper. You might not have a chip in the paint, but I'd bet big money you have hundreds of soft dents and dings that won't gloss out with polish.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:56 PM
ares
Veteran

no Im pretty certain my car has only the one chip in it on front. its on the front portion of the hood, and I have about 6000miles over about 7 months(for the record the car was unusable for a month due to a little accident I had, and even then, spinning through grass and mud didnt make any chips either)

there are 3 rather large noticable chips in the side of my car, behind the door about a foot from the bottom. but I dont know how or why they appeared.

a rock can only cause a chip if it hits you, and they only come up so far, and then come back down, if you drive far enough behind cars in front of you that they can drop, they wont hit you.

also stay away from trucks when possible, and if you see that the road is particularly sandy or rocky, stay farther back. just a little attention and care will keep the chips away.

if for some reason you just cant do this, then get the 3m bra, or just have your bumper repainted about once a year. repainting the bumper is about half the cost of a bra. so if you replace the bra every other year(they do show dings sometimes, its just in the bra rather than the paint) you can go either way and break even, bout 3-400$ each year. the bra offers more protection for the price, but you do have a bra on your car, even if it is "invisible".
Old 06-20-2003, 04:09 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

travis9_350z- I had some damage to the bottom of my bumper as well- I was planning to replace the bumper (About $220 for OEM from Nissan) but I could not find a paint estimate under $600. You might want to look into the JDM carbon front finisher (I think Courtesy Nissan sells them). If the damage extend out further from the center piece you may want to look at putting on a carbon fiber front lip.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Crase Z

Default Re: Issues with the Front Bumper, and the pathetic paint....

Originally posted by travis9_350z
Well, As Everyone here has no doubt figured out, nissans paint job is somewhat subpar, if not a lot...

Like many others, My front bumper has well over 100 (yes, I have counted) paint chips in it...at 2348 miles....

Im going to speak with the dealer tommarrow...

Although, thats not the only issue, I have scraped (*cringe..*) my front bumper slightly on a large speed bump, so Im looking to replace it either OEM or aftermarket..

I also ordered this:
http://www.350z-accessories.com/members.htm) I will report on fit and finish once I get it

Couple of quick questions, I have a friend who claims Nissan Factory OEM parts, plastic parts anyways, are painted, from the factory, is this true? Can I order a factory painted front Bumper from Nissan? Any word on price if so? And Even if not, any word on price of a non painted front bumper?

Morover, is there any aftermarket company (Stillen, Veilside, etc) That sells a front bumper replacement, that is painted already?

I simply do not trust the paint job I can get done at a dealer, or a so called "High End" Paint shop...at least around here...

Nothing compares to factory in my opinion...such has been my experience...Always seems to be mild bumps in the paint where lint fell in it while painting, or perhaps the clearcoat has an odd texture, etc...Granted, Nissans paint job is crap as well..

However, I live in Middle Tennessee, and, does anyone know off hand of a halfway decent paint shop in these parts? If I do replace the front bumper with an aftermarket, I want a DAMN good paint job, and, Im willing to pay for it...

To answer your questions

The front from nissan is not pre-painted.

The only company I know of that pre-paints bodykits are Wings West but they only have a front replacement lip.

If you going to get a full replacemnt bumper I would go with something urathane. FIberglass will tripple the effect of chipping.

The other option is to get your bumper repaited and go with a clear bra.

I just my bumper repanited after 8000 miles and had a clear bra put on. The company is www.starshieldarmor.com.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:06 PM
ares
Veteran

painting shouldnt cost more than 200-300$. thats what the rear bumper cost to get painted for me.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Them Bones

I have to disagree with this whole following too close thing. I've heard it many times, but just don't buy it. If a pebble falls off the back of a truck, it can easily bounce down the road for several seconds. At 60 MPH you are traveling 80 ft. per second. That pebble can easily land on your bumper or hood SEVERAL HUNDRED FEET BACK! Even if I manage to leave that much space, someone is sure to take it away by pulling in my lane just in front of me. Back off and another car will do it. That will happen all day if you let it.

I guess the only solution is to not move at all. Wait, that won't work. The first BIG chip I got was from another car kicking a stone up in the air as it pulled away from a stop light. I was going maybe 5 MPH! It landed right in the middle of my hood, bounced and hit the windshield. I was pissed.

Can't dwell to much on this stuff or you'll go nuts. I guess I don' t mind doing some re-painting on the front after a few years.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Wags

might want to ride a bit farther back from the cars in front of you. and dont tell me its not possible, cause my car says otherwise.
I stay back, and had over 100 in the 1st week... that was back in Feb... then, I wasn't gonna drive it whenever they predicted rain, but that hasn't worked out either. Sorry Ares but you have obviuosly never driven on the Beltway. I have had 4 windshields broken in the last 10 years, I wouln't even try to count bumper stuff.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:50 PM
ares
Veteran

I guess it all depends on your area then. thanks to my local road workers for keepin the roads clean.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Wags

Yeah, it's sad. I do my best to stay back and dodge all the cra% they throw my way, every day, but you have to keep going.. I think the clear bra is the way to go, and just wonder if I need new paint 1st... The chips don't go through, but they're everywhere!
Old 06-21-2003, 06:44 PM
mb27

It definitley depends on your area. I probably have one of the worst commutes. Every day I have to drive by a Sand and Stone supply company and their trucks are always coming and going. I stay back as far as I can but still get hit all the time. If I didn't have a clear bra, the front would be horrible. I can see all the little nicks in the bra, but thankfully they are in the bra only.

Also have to deal with all the road salt and construction. Sounds like I'm exaggerating. I wish. I'm trying to find another route to work.