Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What can I do????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Sorry that you got a automatic. You could make out that it is a manual. A lot of the automatic guys do that.
Oh damn dude, thats hilarious!!!

Touring 6-MT
Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
RuNvS 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -

My first car was an automatic firebird-- that was difficult. Everyone at school was jealous that I had a new car but then flamed me for having an auto.. like suddenly it was a POS as they drove off in their moms minivan.

I have a MT in my Z touring edition-- and that's just because I LOVE to shift gears.. just save up for next time and stop dwelling on it. I had my firebird for like 7 years.

Live and learn.

-Tim
Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by jcleary47
Ignore the people who tell you a sports car isn't a sports car unless it is a manual transmission. The only people that spew forth that bs are the ones that have confidence issues and problems with their own self esteem.

You are the one that will be laughing when you leave them at the line because they miss a gear or grind their gears because they are nervous and can't actually handle a manual as well as they think they can.

There are some people who can shift perfect, nearly everytime, but most people can't.

Ignore those elitist tools, and enjoy your ride.

Real car enthusiasts will appreciate the car for the car that it is, not what type of transmission is in it. What a joke.
that is true j even though is an automatic, the AT Z is pretty fast. is funny how responsive it is when you press that gas pedal, i have never driven any other automatic that fast. the 06 mustang that i had was slow as hell compare to the z. thank you guys, and kdyngus i know i have to learn to drive a sports car with that kind of clutch power the thing is NOONE around me has MT Cars so i have no way of learning and because i keep stalling the car i just stop trying cause im afraid ill break it you know.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 PM
jerry_2612

Well hypothetically.... if something major went wrong with the car that wasn't "you're fault" (not suggesting anything dodgy of course ) you could go yell at them, one thing leads to another, lemon law etc etc... a few people had their Z's repleced when somethings gone wrong, you could go down that path (have your replacement a manual) but there will be headaches and if you're an honest person you may not be able to sleep at night!.... OR if your premium is not so bad, have some dodgy characters "steal" your car adn torch it, buy a manual Z with the pay out

I don't really support this level of dodginess, but yeh...advice
Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
newspeed

why are you asking here? Nobody here can help you, just go talk to your dealer and see what your options are.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by newspeed
why are you asking here? Nobody here can help you, just go talk to your dealer and see what your options are.
well you guys know a lot about the Z. and i was just asking if anybody had ever been in the same situation before.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 PM
newspeed

its really very simple

1) keep the car and deal with the fact that its an auto
2) trade the car in for another model and pay a few extra grand. How much extra? only your dealer will tell you that.

see how simple it is?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This reminds me a dude in town idling at a stoplight in neutral revving his automatic, and trying to roll back as one too.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
TimZ350Z

Don't worry about it! I wanted the manual too but opted for auto. I had a diiferent reason than you but I have to tell you that the manual gate is virtually the same thing with less hassle. I have driven a lot of manual cars and love them but this is working great on the Z. If they hadn't perfected it, I would have gone with the manual. For a 4 grand loss, it just isn't worth it. Just think of what you can do to your Z with $4,000.00. I know that the perception is that you must have a manual with a sports car. That's what I have always said but you now have the best of both worlds. However, if you are a drifter or racer, get the manual. Other than that, you did great! Love your Z!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:08 PM
kayfuNk
Banned

put a c4 under it and drive it off a cliff. Then say it was stolen. Get a manual with the insurance money.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
blazed54

or perhaps find someone who just bought a manual Z and see if they want to trade for your auto. Just like you're having buyers remorse with the auto, I can easily see someone else wishing they got a auto.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
WL350Z

just drive you new Z and enjoy.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cost in Trans and Labor would be a killer ---If your dead set on it, I can do it. PM to discuss if interested
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 PM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by kayfuNk
put a c4 under it and drive it off a cliff. Then say it was stolen. Get a manual with the insurance money.
i like that idea lol, like they would believe me....im just gonna suck it up and enjoy my Z and in two years after graduating ill get a manual. Thank all of you guys for your answers and comments.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 PM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by TimZ350Z
Don't worry about it! I wanted the manual too but opted for auto. I had a diiferent reason than you but I have to tell you that the manual gate is virtually the same thing with less hassle. I have driven a lot of manual cars and love them but this is working great on the Z. If they hadn't perfected it, I would have gone with the manual. For a 4 grand loss, it just isn't worth it. Just think of what you can do to your Z with $4,000.00. I know that the perception is that you must have a manual with a sports car. That's what I have always said but you now have the best of both worlds. However, if you are a drifter or racer, get the manual. Other than that, you did great! Love your Z!
thank you, and yes the auto on the Z works unlike any other automatic i have ever driven...so responsive and quick, great combo. i just want the challenge of driving a manual Z and learning that stubborn clutch lol...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 PM
toy4two

The first two things I ask someone who drives a sports car is (depending on what is available on the particular model)

#1. "Is that a turbo/V8/VTEC model?"
#2. "Is it a manual?"

Those are really the only two things I ask of any sports car owner after driving a non-turbo MR2 for so long and getting asked every single time I parked the car.

Get used to it, its not all bad, at least if you live in an area with lots of hills like Frisco, or lots of traffic like LA you'll appreciate the slushbox.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Sorry that you got a automatic. You could make out that it is a manual. A lot of the automatic guys do that.
Awwwww, don't hate. I'm doing ALMOST exactly what you're hatin on. I'm going to replace the shifter/handbrake & put on some quality boots(See sig. Just waiting for parts to come in) but I'm not doing it to make it look like a MT (I'd need to put in a faux clutch pedal, lol), I'm doing it to customize my Z's interior. It makes things look nice.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Kinraze

Though I would never buy an automatic sports car, there are more autos out there then manual anymore. I checked craigs list the other day, and out of 9 cars in my area every car that was above base model was an automatic except 1. If you do a lot of city driving, you could justify that to yourself for getting the auto. I'm guessing that you won't really be tracking the car either. If you bought the car more for the looks vs the performance, then just stick with the auto and use the manual selection on it to give you some sense of control over your transmission.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 PM
ed350

wow..your in tough situation...I think after you take the car out the lot it is hard to trade it in for another cause they don't know how hard you drove that car...unless you can fork more money..who know try it...
Old 02-17-2008, 01:53 PM
blazed54

Originally Posted by Xzero
Awwwww, don't hate. I'm doing ALMOST exactly what you're hatin on. I'm going to replace the shifter/handbrake & put on some quality boots(See sig. Just waiting for parts to come in) but I'm not doing it to make it look like a MT (I'd need to put in a faux clutch pedal, lol), I'm doing it to customize my Z's interior. It makes things look nice.

that's not nice...it's LIES!!!!!