Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I Hate my Z...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Your clutch height is adjustable. After I got my JWT clutch/flywheel combo installed I had them adjust it where the disengagement point wasn't nearly as high as stock.
I cant believe no one said this earlier.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Chad68

Damn man, some of you guys have huge feet. I'm 6 foot and big and wear size 9.5 shoes.

I've put 25,000 miles on mine in the 2 years since I bought it new and I have still never really gotten use to the clutch. I mean yes I'm use to it but will always hate the high engagement point. Only really noticable from a dead stop (launching) other than that, it's fine. have never had a manual in my life, with such a high engagement point.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Ghost 350z
I cant believe no one said this earlier.
I've heard mixed results on changing the engagement height. Some say it works for a while then goes back and have also heard that it will work at first but then eats your clutch faster.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Donsred350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He stated that he has already adjusted the clucht and that bc of driving position he doesn't like the steering wheel all the way up. I don't think you have adjusted the clucht right for you. I think owning the car for a little more then 2 months and driving it on the weekends you haven't given yourself time to get use to the way the clucht works.

I'd make another adjustment to the clucht and drive it more often or sell it.
I'm 6'3 225lbs and I fit just fine in my Z took a while getting use to the stock clucht expecting the same silky smooth clucht on the Z32 or Z31 I was use to but I got it down after awhile its just second nature.

The Z33 is not your fablous Starion smirk nor is it the Z32/31.

I'm starting to think its You.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Donsred350Z
He stated that he has already adjusted the clucht and that bc of driving position he doesn't like the steering wheel all the way up.
Ok I just re-read it and he did adjust the "height per what the service manual says".

Screw the service manual. I had it adjusted based on the way I feel comfortable driving it.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Fletch69z

The clutch pedal release point is a huge pain in the *** and I've had my car for several years. Most of the time (about 95%) I drive the car perfectly but if I'm ever not paying attention I can sometimes rev it up too high because I'm thinking that surely the clutch is going to engage any second and it makes me look like I've never driven a stick before, haha. It's just not really a very good release point for everyday driving. I am used to it but it's just not as intuitive as most people who have driven lots of different types of manuals would like. I still love the car and plan on keeping it forever but that is pretty annoying. I also notice it more just in daily driving than I do at the track. When you're running the car hard it seems to feel perfect but when trying to drive easy it's harder to find that release point and be smooth with it.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:14 AM
sansoo22

MinerZ: thanks for the link. Never saw heel-toe done that way before. Im used to trying to get my foot at an angle to be able to get both pedals. Im gonna go out and try your method tonight.

Fletch69z: I know what you mean. If im running the car hard its completely intuitive with the clutch. But at slow speeds/in town driving i look like tool.

Things to do:
1. Re-adjust clutch
2. Stop letting bad temper make premature judgements for me
3. Spend my day off tomorrow driving
4. Buy new flame suit
6. Re-post after tomorrows day of driving

thanks for all the replies. I dont entirely hate the car but needed something in the title to get some attention from pros.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by sansoo22
MinerZ: thanks for the link. Never saw heel-toe done that way before. Im used to trying to get my foot at an angle to be able to get both pedals. Im gonna go out and try your method tonight.

Fletch69z: I know what you mean. If im running the car hard its completely intuitive with the clutch. But at slow speeds/in town driving i look like tool.

Things to do:
1. Re-adjust clutch
2. Stop letting bad temper make premature judgements for me
3. Spend my day off tomorrow driving
4. Buy new flame suit
6. Re-post after tomorrows day of driving

thanks for all the replies. I dont entirely hate the car but needed something in the title to get some attention from pros.
One thing to remember about the Z pedals compared to other cars you may have driven before - They were actually designed with track use (heel toe) in mind, therefore the gas and brake pedals are very close and do not require full use of the heel. I personally never have used my heel on this car. Throttle and brake modulation can be done arguably faster using both sides of the foot.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 AM
kaizenro1

To OP: Quit with the gangsta lean! jk
Old 03-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Pretzle

buy a truck!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 AM
enth05

6'4" and I feel perfectly comfortable in the car. If you are any taller than that I could imagine you would feel uncomfortable.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Willowns

Well i own an 03' touring and shitfing is a bit of a problem with me to, i wear size 15 shoes and they dont fit to well down there near the clutch and the gas. the ride is very comfortable with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way up. Anways...i didnt even know you could adjust the clutch pedal...i will have to look into that lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 AM
incomming

Originally Posted by Chad68
Damn man, some of you guys have huge feet. I'm 6 foot and big and wear size 9.5 shoes..
Well that sucks, the Mrs. must be upset

5'9, size 12 ftw. no issues there.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Willowns

Originally Posted by incomming
Well that sucks, the Mrs. must be upset

5'9, size 12 ftw. no issues there.
+1 lmao wow....that was hallarious...you know what they say about shoe size
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 AM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

Originally Posted by Chad68
Damn man, some of you guys have huge feet. I'm 6 foot and big and wear size 9.5 shoes.
WTF i'd tip over with those small *** fee, 6'0 size 13 here
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 6'1"... No problems whatsoever. 12 size shoe
Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
zonic03

Originally Posted by sansoo22
Before i get started let me put my flame suit on...ok ready.

I bought my Z a little over 2 months ago. Its an 03 touring i got used through a broker. It came with an injen intake and a tune from a local shop in its area of origin (some where around Des Moines). It also had the clutch replaced before i got it and came complete with paperwork on the clutch install.

And so far this car is the most fun and the most miserable thing that i have ever driven. When i can get the shifting down right its a pure blast but when im off i want to crash it into a wall. Being a rather tall driver the clutch is driving me absolutely insane. My knee keeps crashing into the steering wheel when i try to let it out. I either get really good shifts or horrible ones no matter what i do. I can launch the car just fine but any sort of controlled take off is completely out of the question. Ive adjusted the clutch to the lowest recommended height per what the service manual says and that has help out some.

I just cant get a feel for this car no matter what i do. Im no novice to mt's either. Ive been able to run friends cars at test and tune night and get better times than they can with no "seat time." The other thing i cant stand is the tiny freakin gas pedal. How is someone with a shoe size 13 supposed to heel-toe this thing?

Maybe i just miss my old 89 Starion. Never had to lift my heel of the ground to let that clutch all the way out. Sure it was aftermarket and stiff as all hell but it felt great. I loved all the resistance in that clutch.

I need to figure something out fast before i burn up this brand new clutch or sell this thing and buy another starion and build it from the ground up with all the money i saved.

Oh and one last question, does anyone elses Z have a little free play in the gas pedal? Is this normal or do i need to adjust something? Cuz rev-matching on my DC downshifts is a pain with that free play at the beginning of the pedal stroke.

Sorry to whine like a girl but i hope someone else is having as much trouble as me and can help out a little
So you hate your Z.................
You should of test drove the car before buying it. I know someone eles said the same thing but I think it should be repeated.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
imonlykidden

Tall people < 350z

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
dystopian

I've read the same thing about adjusting the clutch engagement point and having it return back to its original point after a while.

Alternatively, there's a post floating around here that describes using floor bumpers (or buying some kit) to shorten your clutch throw, a simple process that takes about 5 minutes to do. I couldn't stand the high engagement point neither, so I used the floor bumper method with satisfactory results (10k miles so far).
Old 03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

you're tall, and you have big feet?

Quick Reply: I Hate my Z...