Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I Hate my Z...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I1DER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go to the dealer and test drive one off their lot. You may get an idea if it is just your car or your aversion to Z clutches in general. The throttle pedal is electronic. I don't know if the feel can be adjusted.

Double clutching just may lead to banging your knee. I think there are 1 or 2 idiots here that could give you some insight on that. Are you putting your tongue in your left cheek and gritting your teeth? That sometimes helps.

Last edited by I1DER; 03-06-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Did I miss it or something? OP have you told us your height and weight yet?

I have a good friend thats 6'8", 320 lbs and says its probably the most comfortable hes been in a sports car..passenger side at least.

And all the 6'4" guys seem to be comfortable as well....are you over 6'4"?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
boostlover05

dude, you still have your Z?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 AM
sansoo22

Default i have named my Z Tina

No not for the stupid lama cuz it sure eats but more because we now have an Ike and Tina type relationship.

UPDATE: Spent all day (well almost 2 tanks of gas) driving the Z today. I figured 2 things out. 1. If i pay attention to every shift i make its really quite fun to drive. 2. If for a second i start wondering into lala land Tina gets angry with me and i beat it up a little.

Changed seat and wheel config slightly and actually like sitting a tiny bit closer with the wheel up a little higher.

Still very counter intuitive to be lifting my foot so high before getting on the gas on take offs but im getting a bit more used to it. Makes feathering on launches easier though...Weird. 1 to 2 shifts are a bad idea if drinking hot liquids but all others seem to be getting much smoother.

Freeplay in gas pedal still causing issues on feathering for rev-matching on double clutch downs. Would prefer the pedal be a little more touchy.

Heel-toe: Im used to heel on brake toe feathering gas. But on the Z im using the method shown in the video posted here and its more like a "split-toe" method. Feels rather awkward and causes a few over revs but im getting used to it.

The other thing that helped my big feet with the clutch is wearing shoes with slicker bottoms. Lets the clutch slide under my foot a little as im letting up on it. Dont have to raise the knee so high now.

Height: Little over 6'4" but its all legs. I look no taller than 6'0" driving the car. I know im a freak on stilts.

Sorry for the long post and thanks so much or all the responses
Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 AM
NGZ

Driving/Sitting position
It can take a while to get everything adjusted just right. There're many good resources online about how to adjust the right driving/seating position for you. If you are not sitting snug in your seat and you drive with one hand at 12 o'clock with a gangsta lean, you are not doing it right. It makes a HUGE difference to have everything set up right.

Feet
If you are having trouble controlling the pedals, you might have to work on the strength/dexterity of your feet. The 03s have a stiffer clutch, and there's more travel than your Starion. You will have to get used to lifting your heel to let the clutch out in the Z. If you are wearing running shoes, try something with thinner soles so you can feel better. Gas pedal is drive-by-wire and it doesn't feel like it gives linear response.

Heel-toe
Since the Z's gas pedal doesn't extend all the way to the floor, it'll be hard to actually use your toe and your heel. What's more appropriate is "biggest toes" and "right edge of foot", with your foot slightly diagonal (toe points left, heel points right). Double clutching is not necessary.
a. steady pressure on brakes with "toes"
b. revs drop
c. clutch in
d. "rock your right knee toward the center console" to blip the throttle with the right edge of foot (while maintaining steady pressure on the brakes)
e. select gear
f. clutch out
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 AM
norapat01

Originally Posted by sansoo22

Freeplay in gas pedal still causing issues on feathering for rev-matching on double clutch downs. Would prefer the pedal be a little more touchy.
may be should have the dealer check out your gas pedal, I don't have that problem with my 350Z or any other cars that I owned. Gas pedal on my Z is kindda touchy, but not freeplay. As l remember, the clutch suppose to have some freeplay, but not the gas pedal.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get rid of it ---I hate to see this "I hate my Z" thread on a Z forum. I hate this thread
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Eazzy

Sell it ---buy a Vega
Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 AM
misterlv

uhh 5'6 size 9'5" shoe. never happened to me!hahahaha maybe because im asian ill fit in anything that or the car will be too big for me. hehehehehe

Last edited by misterlv; 03-07-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Get_Zwole

sell it buy a american car /thread
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Demonbfg

I don't care for the clutch in my nismo either but i'm more ticked off about it being in the shop replacing the slave cylinder(no it wasn't in the recall and hasn't been driven hard)and pressure plate at 525 miles because of a clunk sound when you let out the clutch and go about 3 miles per hour.They are guessing that is the problem.Well they have 2 more tries after that to get it right then it will be lemon lawed.I should have keeped the 98 gsx that i had from new and traded it in almost ten years later.Oh well pretty is as pretty does.Almost forgot my shoe size is size 11 which doesn't help and i like it to let up a couple of inches off the floor not at the top of it's travel.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
SiNzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NGZ
Driving/Sitting position

Heel-toe
Since the Z's gas pedal doesn't extend all the way to the floor, it'll be hard to actually use your toe and your heel. What's more appropriate is "biggest toes" and "right edge of foot", with your foot slightly diagonal (toe points left, heel points right). Double clutching is not necessary.
a. steady pressure on brakes with "toes"
b. revs drop
c. clutch in
d. "rock your right knee toward the center console" to blip the throttle with the right edge of foot (while maintaining steady pressure on the brakes)
e. select gear
f. clutch out
That's what I do. Granted it may be easier for me given that I'm about a size 9.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
dozzer1b

yea im 6'2" 310pds w/ a 14-15 shoe....no problems in either my coupe or roadster....maybe u just have a longer lower 1/2 than an upper 1/2......get an after market steering wheel/removable hub, that should work out a lil better!
Old 03-08-2008, 05:11 PM
xjongsangx80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I'm drunk..and it's still early
Old 03-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by xjongsangx80
Damn I'm drunk..and it's still early
This should be in the Drunk and Befuddled Thead
Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 PM
zonic03

Originally Posted by Eazzy
Get rid of it ---I hate to see this "I hate my Z" thread on a Z forum. I hate this thread

Last edited by zonic03; 03-08-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
sansoo22

Sorry to those I may have offended by the original thread title. As you can see ive updated it. I originally wrote the title out of frustration and anger. But as you can see many have responded with very helpful tips on getting this car to perform to different individuals liking. And i greatly appreciate the help and the time people have taken to not just flame someone new to a Z. All the tips suggested have actually helped speed up my assimilation with this car.

Once again sorry for the blaspheming nature of my original title. In the future i will try and calm my high-strung perfectionist self before i begin another thread.

thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by sansoo22
Sorry to those I may have offended by the original thread title. .

thanks
Im very offended and it will take months before I chill. Im going to bed and try to recoop

Im pretty upset and I need chill time
Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 PM
jadaniya
Banned

you must be a tall ****
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
jdm_Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah a fellow starion owner! man i love my starion too but I love the z even more! dont sell just save up and buy another starion dude. do a search on mine and check the pics!

Quick Reply: I Hate my Z...