Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Q for people with new transmissions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 06:07 AM
Vitamin Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Q for people with new transmissions!

I just got a new trany installed yesterday (7500 miles) and the shifting is much worse then before. 1st, 3rd and 5th gears are horrible in comparison to the old tranny. Were your transmissions the same way? Will it get better with time because the trany is brand new or should it be smooth from a get go? I’m kind of concerned now.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:18 AM
roberto350z

im on my third tranny. Its hit and miss. The second tranny I got sucked a**, finally got a third. Now its fine. My buddy just got his second tranny, and HIS sucks too! But to answer your question, the tranny most likely wont get any better... just worse
Old 06-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Vitamin Z

Angry Damn it!

Thanks for the fast replay!
I'm gonna have to raze hell with the dealer especially that the time frame for the swap was suppose to be 2 days but ended up being five. I had a problem with the rental car and along with the trany they were suppose to fix my passenger window streaks after which my window will not go down when the door is open. I'm so fed up with this bull sh#7!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:49 AM
roberto350z

you know.. I was thinking the same thing about raising hell... but you gotta realize. Who are the people working at the shop? Were they the top of their class at Harvard? Probably not. Ive been back to the damn dealer everytime Ive had a repair, cuz they screwed it up the first time. They just dont care, AND havent made many 350 repairs at this point.

I feel your anger, trust me. Ive been down to the Honda dealer a couple of times...

ps. Ive had to drop my car off TEN times now, and still counting.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I hate reading stuff like this!! It's the dealers out there not taking care of their customers that give us a bad rap. I wish you guys lived near us, we would show you that not all dealers are bad. I'm very proud of the way we treat our customers here and really enjoy talking with the 350Z customers about their cars and how we can help them modify them. PM me if there's any info I can get you to help out.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Vitamin Z

Originally posted by roberto350z
you know.. I was thinking the same thing about raising hell... but you gotta realize. Who are the people working at the shop? Were they the top of their class at Harvard? Probably not.
Well. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to change the transmittion. As a meter of fact, forget the trany. The window problem should have been fixed right then and there. All you had to do was just open the door. I'm sure at one point they had to open it. So it is just a simple ignorance. They chose not to deal with this problem at the time and now I have to run around and worry about my schedule, taking time from work, worry about the rental car (which by the way is a second one, the first one was overheating) and bunch of over inconveniences. This just will not cut it. I'm planning on calling the owner of the dealership and complain. If I leave it the way it is right now, this will go on indefinitely.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:03 AM
LBSOHK

im on my second tranny 3400 , had the original replaced after 1000 miles , like u guys said , it seems to be worse than before..
im really dissapointed but my dealer seems to be a nice guy so i wont give him too much $hit about this... too bad i will be separated with my Z ..... again...
Old 06-27-2003, 08:27 AM
roberto350z

I have complained to the dealer too, and the answer has been the same. "Oh well fix that." Then I bring the damn car in, they fix it and leave me with another problem. grrr.

Yo jeff... the dealer as a business is actually great. Im not having a problem there. They have been very agreeable... the problem is techs that are paid "warranty hours" and justifiably dont care about your "new car" when they are getting underpaid. My center console is the next thing I have to gripe about because the tech somehow felt the shift boot trim needed a crow bar to be removed.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:29 AM
yooda

Default Y so many tranny replacements

Why are you guys replacing your tranny's so often? Is it a defect, race track, or shitty driving?

Just curious.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:37 AM
roberto350z

both trannies were showing signs of breaking at around 1k miles. I tell you, if its my driving, then Im going back to the honda civic I owned for many years and used for racing. Or the 300zx turbo that I dumped the clutch on quite often, or the corolla I used for baja racing in TJ.

If you are gonna blame Z problems due to track driving, then maybe we should call Nissan and tell them to stop making SPORTS cars !
Old 06-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

We've been pretty lucky. The trans in our race car dumped after 200 miles. The new tranny that Nissan has sent (same ones you get) has had no problems yet. This after some pretty heavy racing. Must just be the luck of the draw on these. I'll ask my Nissan Factory Rep what's up as he'll be in my store early next week.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Z4KR

Default Re: Damn it!

Originally posted by Vitamin Z
I'm gonna have to raze hell with the dealer especially that the time frame for the swap was suppose to be 2 days but ended up being five.
Wow ... it took them 5 days for the swap after they receive the new tranny?! I am on my 2nd tranny as well but it only took them a couple of hours to put it in. Hmmm ... you may wanna go to a different dealership next time. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Vitamin Z

Originally posted by jeffh355
I'll ask my Nissan Factory Rep what's up as he'll be in my store early next week.
Pleas let us know. I'm beginning to wander if Nissan can produce a solid 6-spd trany...
Old 06-27-2003, 09:25 AM
roberto350z

I can vouch for Z4KR... my tranny took half a day to put in.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Vitamin Z

Default Re: Re: Damn it!

Originally posted by Z4KR
Wow ... it took them 5 days for the swap after they receive the new tranny?! I am on my 2nd tranny as well but it only took them a couple of hours to put it in. Hmmm ... you may wanna go to a different dealership next time. Good luck!
Actually it took 4 days but I'm counting today as a 5th day because I had to drive it back right after I picked it up dew to the window problem. I was not sure about the tranny at the time.
And the other thing that pissed me of is that I had to call everyday just before they close to find out why nobody called me and if I can pick up my car. They fed me some BS story about a new tech that just got trained on transmission work and confusion between a new and an old tech about who will do the swap, and something about 2 cars being there at the same time (like it is my problem).
In this 5 days I got 2 call backs (after me calling and inquiring) and one actual call this morning to let me know that they are looking at the problem and they will call me back by 12:30 today to let me know. It is now 1:30, I have not received a single call.

btw does anybody knows how long should it take to change a trany according to their work sheet? Z4KR did it really take them 2 hours to swap yours?

Last edited by Vitamin Z; 06-27-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Default Re: Re: Re: Damn it!

btw does anybody knows how long should it take to change a trany according to their work sheet? Z4KR did it really take them 2 hours to swap yours? [/B]
The warranty flat rate manual say's 2.9 hours. Although my techs say that's a tad light.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Z4KR

Default Re: Re: Re: Damn it!

Originally posted by Vitamin Z

btw does anybody knows how long should it take to change a trany according to their work sheet? Z4KR did it really take them 2 hours to swap yours?
I dropped off the car at around 7:00 but the tech gets there around 8:00. It was ready for pick up before 2. They swapped my tranny and replace my drive shaft. Also, did an all wheel alignment. It was the 1st tranny ever replaced on a 350Z at that dealership. The service advisor was even amazed at how fast and easy it was. Nissan only pays them for a couple of hours of labor. I don't have the paperwork in front of me right now but I'll pm you the exact labor time tonight.

Edit:
2.9 sounds about right. Thx, Jeff.

Last edited by Z4KR; 06-27-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:10 AM
gooters

All (Jeff esp),

I am about to buy a Z...I think. I am debating used vs. new. I might start a thread about this, but wanted to know your opinions. What are you guy's VIN #s that are having serious problems with your Zs? Are these problems being addressed at the factory? If I buy a car that was made sometime after say Mar.03 will I be safer from the tranny issues???

I want to buy soon, but I am scared frankly. Please let me know your serial numbers because I want to see if the production order has anythign to do with these problems!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by gooters
All (Jeff esp),

I am about to buy a Z...I think. I am debating used vs. new. I might start a thread about this, but wanted to know your opinions. What are you guy's VIN #s that are having serious problems with your Zs? Are these problems being addressed at the factory? If I buy a car that was made sometime after say Mar.03 will I be safer from the tranny issues???

This Forum is your best source of info... much better than I can give you on real life experience's. We haven't noticed any problems yet with the cars built after March, and the new trannys people are getting are the later style ones.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:20 AM
LBSOHK

took 7 days to replaced mine... then i was told i can pick up my car anytime since i have second set of keys... so i went at 11 pm ( to avoid the traffics ) and as soon i step on the dealers property 3 police cruisers block my car... took me 1 hour to explain them what i was doing there , why my car was serviced after 1 k miles , why i came at night etc etc... , cop told me that this particular dealership has bunch of morons working there and they usually tell the customers to pick up their cars "anytime" but also other people come and "pick up " brand new cars or parts without paying...just a little story for u guys

Quick Reply: Q for people with new transmissions!