Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hydroplaned my 350z, I was very lucky!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Donsred350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look like you and her just need a bath and change of underwear and you will be ok. I'm glad nothing happened seriously to either of you. The Luck of the Irish was with you (looking at U.S. history whatever that means) good or bad you survived.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 AM
fast kiwi

atleast you have a great story with some pic's to go with it..
Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Denum

Originally Posted by Chad68
Dude. The bottom line is Op was going to fast for conditions. It doesn't matter what his speed was. He went fast enough and apparently said he had his cruise on as well, to loose control of his car all by his own doing.

He was going fast enough to spin out of control with no interraction from anybody or anything else. It was just him, the car, a wet road and a lead foot.

This case doesn't stand a chance in Hell in court. The OP would have a better chance sueing the State for puddles forming on the highway, like he said LOL.

I feel bad for the OP and I'm trying really hard not to be a d!ck and rain on his pararde (no pun intended) but it's just human error. You gotta suck it up man and take the lumps.

If he lost control and took out a school bus, should he not deserve a ticket? Fact is if he would have taken out somebody else out with him, he might have been charged with reckless driving.

The OP already admitted to us that he admitted to the cop he was doing 70MPH.

case closed.
Well, even if he admitted to going 70mph he should still be in the clear. Anybody who drives a lot, I am sure drives on speed limit either way and the cops don't do nothing. He can not anticipate every little bump on the road. It is not his fault that there was a puddle on the road (we go over MANY) and if he did not see it in time, he can not be blamed for it.

That is like saying since he was obeying the law and going speed limit he deserves a ticket because he lost control of his vehicle due to road damage. Nobody is perfect, theres tons of people who lose control of their car due to some slippage and road error. It was not his mistake that at that point of time he was suppose to swerve his car because of the road being damaged. There is a reason why there is a speed limit. And if it is set at that rate, he is not at fault. The common sence of slowing down when its raining, is not too much compared to when its fog or hailing. If he can see visible through the glass, its not reckless driving.

I hope he keeps us informed to see if he does get the ticket revoked. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Hydroplaned my 350z, I was very lucky!-cops_suck.jpg  

Last edited by Denum; 03-17-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrians350Z
This is the first time I've heard that you shouldn't use cruise control in the rain. Is it because it might put down too much throttle without warning?
Like other have said, it's just dumb cruise control logic.

This is in my 2004 book on page 5-15, I imagine it is in other model year manuals as well.
Attached Thumbnails Hydroplaned my 350z, I was very lucky!-cruise_control_warning.jpg  
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 AM
y_b_lamron

Originally Posted by Chad68
Dude. The bottom line is Op was going to fast for conditions. It doesn't matter what his speed was. He went fast enough and apparently said he had his cruise on as well, to loose control of his car all by his own doing.

He was going fast enough to spin out of control with no interraction from anybody or anything else. It was just him, the car, a wet road and a lead foot.

I've seen cars lose control in the rain going much slower than 70 and a lot more damage was done.

I understand that the OP told us he was going 70 but IMO it was wrong for the cop to issue a ticket. He has NO idea how fast he was going.

Last edited by y_b_lamron; 03-17-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another Nitto crash thread

Glad to see you're okay tho.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Ianmtx

I'll probably just delay the case with continuance motions for a few years and it'll go away.

By the way, I was going DOWN a hill so the fact the cruise control was on is really quite irrelevant.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by Denum
Well, even if he admitted to going 70mph he should still be in the clear. Anybody who drives a lot, I am sure drives on speed limit either way and the cops don't do nothing. He can not anticipate every little bump on the road. It is not his fault that there was a puddle on the road (we go over MANY) and if he did not see it in time, he can not be blamed for it.

That is like saying since he was obeying the law and going speed limit he deserves a ticket because he lost control of his vehicle due to road damage. Nobody is perfect, theres tons of people who lose control of their car due to some slippage and road error. It was not his mistake that at that point of time he was suppose to swerve his car because of the road being damaged. There is a reason why there is a speed limit. And if it is set at that rate, he is not at fault. The common sence of slowing down when its raining, is not too much compared to when its fog or hailing. If he can see visible through the glass, its not reckless driving.

Wow, you have got to be kidding me...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by Ianmtx

By the way, I was going DOWN a hill so the fact the cruise control was on is really quite irrelevant.
No, thats actually the reason why you crashed. The reason people crash once they start hydroplaning is because they either give it gas or press the brakes. With the CC on, the CC most likely gave it gas...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:51 AM
drift freaq

Originally Posted by Denum

Ahem, cough cough, do you always not take control or responsibility, for your own actions? Pretty much, the OP is not owning the fact that he was A: driving to fast for conditions. B: Was using cruise control in the rain. Which I might add, is absolutely nutty.
Add to that the fact that a puddle on the freeway in the pouring rain is pretty much a commonplace occurrence , it happens on freeways all over the countryside.
Are you going to claim, that all the freeways are built wrong?
Wait, let me guess your a lawyer? LOL cause you talk like a defense lawyer. Which basically means, you know better, regardless of being willing to admit it for the sake of being guilty.
To many people these days are unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions. The OP got a basic speed law ticket for driving unsafely for conditions. That is his bad. Now if he manned up and said I screwed up, their would not be 3 pages of discourse about his basic mistake.
He will not will if he fights his ticket. He deserved it. Lack of common sense or taking responsibility for ones own actions is no defense.
I am sorry he received it. Though you know what? He did and he deserved it. Take traffic school and be done, lesson learned.

P.S. I run Interstate 5 between San Francisco and Los Angeles 6-7 times a year and use cruise control only where its prudent. I would never use it in the rain and I especially would not use it, on a downhill slope. Common sense.

Last edited by drift freaq; 03-17-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM
WhiteNoiz

I've gotten a "failure to be reasonable and prudent" ticket before, back when I was 16, my first winter driving. Speed isnt relevent for those tickets. I would say your only chance to get out of the ticket is to go to court, and hope the officer doesnt show. Thats how I got out of my last ticket (which was bs btw), "failure to signal" -because I didnt signal for a full 5 seconds, hah!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM
The Captain

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
I've gotten a "failure to be reasonable and prudent" ticket before, back when I was 16, my first winter driving. Speed isnt relevent for those tickets. I would say your only chance to get out of the ticket is to go to court, and hope the officer doesnt show. Thats how I got out of my last ticket (which was bs btw), "failure to signal" -because I didnt signal for a full 5 seconds, hah!
What? 5 seconds... damn, I usually give fair warning before I change... but I didn't know there was a set time limit. Glad you got out of it, that's just retarded.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Kegsbane

Glad you're okay. These Zs seem to dislike slick conditions..

The cop was right, too. If it was really raining hard 70 might be a bit fast. Sure, you won't wreck 99% of the time at that speed in the rain, but the 1% will make up for it quick... also, cruise control in the rain can be bad because you don't have full control over the throttle. That baby loses traction and it will compound your problem for you.

Glad you're okay, and even your car seems to be okay. You're very lucky.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you're ok. you're lucky your medians are grass and mud. ours are concrete sound barrier walls.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Another Nitto crash thread

Glad to see you're okay tho.
Oh, he has Nittos?

Next time do some research before you buy overpriced tires that are almost guaranteed to kill you, then drive too fast in horrible conditions with the CC on going downhill. It's like a dumbass sandwich you've constructed there, a regular Dagwood.

Then to talk about abusing the court system trying to get a bunch of continuances, well, good luck with that. The judge will laugh in your face and you'll try the case that day, unless you have a truly good reason. Motion for continuance denied. Even if you did get a continuance, do you really think they'll just forget about it?!? You'll just end up paying your lawyer out the *** to keep pissing the judge off at every opportunity, ensuring that you're found guilty when the case is tried since it's the cop's word against yours.

I wish I could assume you're joking. I also wish I'd read the entire thread before I had any sympathy for you.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Nismo0514

i would never drive my z in the rain
Old 03-17-2008, 02:12 PM
roast

I'd buy that cop a dough nut for doing his job.

I say it's a legitimate ticket.... sure... the cop could have been cool... but just about any time your vehicle uncontrollably leaves the roadway, you or someone else have done something incredibly wrong. You're lucky you're alive, didn't kill someone else, or cause other major damages.

What if the cop let you off with a slap on the wrist...and then the next time it rains you crash and kill a family of 5 because you suck at driving? How would that cop feel? Would he have done his job? Hell no!

Don't use cruise control in the rain (or ever, if you ask me). Slow down in the rain, especially driving in places you are not familiar with and don't know where the water collects. And I'm not sure what kind of nittos you have, but I know some of them are notoriously terrible in the rain... so get some quailty tires if need be.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Ianmtx

Originally Posted by Motero
No, thats actually the reason why you crashed. The reason people crash once they start hydroplaning is because they either give it gas or press the brakes. With the CC on, the CC most likely gave it gas...
CC doesn't accelerate going downhill......
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
roast

Originally Posted by Ianmtx
CC doesn't accelerate going downhill......
Doesn't matter anyway.... op stated he started to lose it and applied the brakes.... btw... uphill/downhill is not a factor in CC applying throttle...

Speeding with CC in the rain = recipe for stupidness.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
rockinbboy

you are one lucky guy.

I am glad you posted cause I got the following out of it:

1. Entertaining story
2. Awesome pics
3. Avoid Nitto tires

hehe....we all have our moments

Quick Reply: Hydroplaned my 350z, I was very lucky!