Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC - Vehicle Dynamic control ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
350zFLA_MTL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC - Vehicle Dynamic control ???

I am considering a roadster and am not certain between the Touring and the Grand Touring trims.

The main component that I am interested in is the VDC ... is it worth the $2,500 price diff??

I am concerned with safety would the VDC and Brembo brake system be considered safer for a regular driver -- think Sunday afternoon relaxed driver i.e. Automatic transmission

Please let me know whatever info you have
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the 350Z for a test drive in the rain in an empty parking lot. Drive with VDC ON. Drive with VDC OFF. Make a decision.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
ReelBigAndy

I have never driven the z with brembos, but I do have vdc and have daily-driven my z through a blistering summer and snow upstate-ny winter. The general concensus I feel on this forum is that typical z driver will not notice a difference between the brembos and std brakes (modified suspension and tire sizes may provide different results) unless they take their car to a track. But if seeing a deer and stomping on the brake pedal is your safety concer, I believe that will come down to more of a tire issue (both sets of brakes are more than capable of locking up the wheels w/abs).

If you ever plan to drive it in the rain, sleet, snow, or less than ideal road conditions (montreal), I'd go for the vdc. If this car will sit on a pedistal in a heated garage (florida) then I wouldnt worry about it.

As mentioned, if both models are at your disposal, take them for a "spin" and pick what you like.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I1DER

If you drive it like a normal car and you lived in the desert, it would be a waste of your money. Insurance companies claim it eliminates 80% of single car accidents. I'm assuming that those most likely to get in single car accidents live in wet or snowy country or have a tendency to push a car to it's G limits.

No matter how good your brain and fast your reflexes, you still can't brake individual wheels to straighten a car out in nano-seconds. Consider your driving conditions and that the Z tends to be very squirrelly when it is slippery out(power and rear wheel drive).

Last edited by I1DER; 03-18-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 PM
my05350z

dude you should pay for the side airbags... you need that alot more than vdc
Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb question but I have an 04 touring Roadster. It has the TCS is that the same as VDC. Is the LSD combined with the TCS also?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TCS is same as VDC. VDC includes TCS.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks im still a newb but learning everyday.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
NGZ

My car has VDC but I have permanently deactivated it.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Adrians350Z

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
TCS is same as VDC. VDC includes TCS.
If you just have a TCS button then you don't have VDC. If you have a VDC button then you have both VDC and TCS
Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM
toy4two

If you drive careful in the rain you don't need it, thats the only time mine ever kicks in, if I try to give it too much gas in a corner or from a stop. However, if you never get your foot into it in those two situations in the rain it will never come on anyway.

If you drive like a tool, it might be a good investment, if I had a teenage son I would get it and rip out the button to turn it off
Old 03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
gregom

Yeah you have to be really careful when driving with TCS/VDC off, especially so if the road is wet or icy/snowed.

The system works really well and i'm impressed with it, it can deffinately save your but if you get a bit heavy on the throttle at the wrong time. RWD + decent amount of torque means its very easy to spin out if your trying to accelerate somewhat hard mid corner.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Jaretr1

I have VDC, and I have had it kick it and straighten me out when I have taken some turns rather aggressively. It may even be a little over sensitive as to be on the safe side. In normal non aggressive driving, you should never get to a point where you would need VDC or the braking power of the Brembo's. For relaxed Sunday afternoon driving, you wont need those two features.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM
sporkdevil

The only times I use the VDC is in the rain. I guess an auto would be not too much of a problem, but when I shift reasonably hard the power dumps, the car bogs down and it looks like I cant shift for sheit.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 PM
mx48

Originally Posted by sporkdevil
The only times I use the VDC is in the rain. I guess an auto would be not too much of a problem, but when I shift reasonably hard the power dumps, the car bogs down and it looks like I cant shift for sheit.
I agree, as a owner of a at grand touring, I turn off the vdc when pavement is dry. Wet, snowy, or loose conditions I always have it on. Brembos are nice but unless you get out on the track, probably won't use them to its full potential. Like others posted, test drive both, and think about the conditions you will drive it in.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

VDC is a great "limiter" for me on the street in the twisties. I dont EVER turn it off anymore other than to accelerate WOT in a straight line. Otherwise it stays on.

Many people complain and say they run with it off at all times. Well, if you cant go FAST with VDC on around corners then your doing something wrong. I drove at tail of the dragon ZdayZ with it ON the entire time, I dont need to slide out and wreck my car at the expense of some fun. Nobody believed I left it on until I started giving rides. VDC has helped me drive faster % smoother, and helps me limit my throttle application to where VDC rarely kicks in coming out of corners. Check the video below, keeping up with Sharif's crazy a$$, Eagletanggreen and jkenefic with VDC on @ the dragon-they had it off, and if they had made a mistake would have likely paid for it. I like it its n extra margin of safety-laugh at me if you want. You dont need any faster than that on the street guys. Ok, Im done preaching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGHxTYPbqLQ&fmt=6
Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 AM
ZKansasZ

Am I the only one in here who doesnt turn off the VDC???
Or rarely have to turn it off?
I guess I am getting old...
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 AM
skr00ball

I needed to turn it off to get up sloped driveways when it was snowing. The VDC kept bogging down the engine and getting up the hill or maybe I am just more used to driving cars without traction control.

No VDC = funner
Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 AM
raycs7

The track Z has been my daily driver since 2003.
I always use VDC.
I would rather forget it on than off.
My roadster only has TCS but I did install Brembos.
I go Brembos with all. Worth the extra $$$ to me.
It may be overkill but it is my personal preference.
..........On a lighter note:
I just sold a spare Z with VDC.. One guy with a huge monster truck test drove...had no idea about VDC.
He floored it repeatedly trying to burn rubber...
The car really pulled..but laid no rubber. He could not figure it out... I never did tell him..
Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skr00ball

No VDC = funner
Fail. Its that metality that gets people into trouble.

Quick Reply: VDC - Vehicle Dynamic control ???