Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can't Believe This...One Day Past Warranty Will Cost Me $9k

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
sinister350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another user selling his engine and tranny for 3k not bad if you ask me. I like using the search button it makes me happy
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ight=rb26+350z
Old 03-26-2008, 11:42 AM
PM-Performance

1. Screw 9K for a motor
2. Didn't that new motor have its own warranty? What if it was replaced with 100 miles left on the warranty? You then only had 100 miles to find a problem or your SOL?
3. I would fight it by telling them it is a reocurring problem that you have went in multiple times before about before warranty expiry
4. All else fails try to file something under the lemon law or get an attorny if you think you have a good case and he will cost less then $9k
Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Don't forget you have a Drivetrain warranty too which lasts longer.
Feeling better now.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
GSX-R350Z

Damn that just sucks bro, I'd say sell it man it's not worth it. It seems you were having trouble with it for a while now. You'll probably end up bringing more troubles if you replace the motor and keep it.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
MA4

why don't you justtrade it in on a new Z?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definatly get a second 3rd and 4th opinion on the status of your motor first and not from a Nissan dealership either.

I don't know if you can sue under the lemon law since you are now out of warranty???

You reported the noise before the warranty expired? But they told you the bad news a day after your warranty expired? Hmmm not sure how that would work out in court.

If you truely end up needing a new motor, I personally would get rid of it and move on. If you build it and go FI, you will just end up with more engine and tranny problems and more money going bye bye down the road.

Guess it depends how much you like the car and sounds to me you're not so into it anymore because of all the problems.

If it was my car and the motor was gone, so would the car. You could always torch it and collect the insurance or park in a ghetto on a Sat night and leave it running or leave it out in a hail storm,...... write off!!!! FTMFW, unless you get caught

Last edited by Chad68; 03-26-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Bary626

Originally Posted by jimster716
My options:
Sell the car as is for cheap
For sure: this car has been nothing but trouble.
Cut our loss & get a car that will be problems Free!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:33 AM
DraGonAlchemist

the good news is that my 03 Z works wonderfully good. .what the hell happened to yours is beyond me. But they should just do it anyway. .i'd keep persisting them to and then i'd complain about bringing channel w/e news team with you over there to explain what a junk your Z has been from the get go. .and that your being toyed and screwed with with the car. .you have to Scare people a little bit into doing your bidding. .just dont settle for what they say and tell you. .BRING ME WITH YOU!! AND I GUARANTY YOUR NEW ENGINE!! haha...

BUT. .i would take the car to another legit place other than the dealer. .i try to tell people that the damn dealer's are not troubleshooter's. .time is money so they will just take what they think or have known thats a common issue and just replace without actually figuring out a solution to the problem. And either you pay out your A$$ or its under some crap of a warranty. Deff take the car somewhere else for a second opinion. .you say you hear a noise and they tell you compressions no good. .any monkey mechanic can do a comp test. .thats basically your options unless you sell the car. .Im almost 100% + that 1/2 the changed parts on the Z was never necessary to begin with.

Last edited by DraGonAlchemist; 03-27-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 AM
captj3

Get the car checked out some place else. I give you a simple dealer example. I brought in my FX 45 to the dealer the sun roof would open and wouldn't close I had to bump the switch. They called me to say the motor was no good and there was no reset procedure then the bomb shell it will be $700 for a new motor. I told them don't fix just close it. I picked up my truck went home got online infinity.org checked a few threads and found the initialization procedure and did it on my truck. Total time 10 minutes research 10 second repair = $700 saved. Most techs are lazy and don't know what they are doing. I would have been happy with 1hr labor to reprogram it instead I won't take my truck there again. I was out of warranty as well. Morale of the story don't always trust a dealer.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM
angelzhope720

Jeez, sometimes I reconsidered my extended warranty and had thoughts of refunding what's left of it. I guess I'm going to keep it.. $50 deductible and covered till 2012 or 100k miles.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Considering that you have had motor and transmission problems, this may be a lemon law case. Check you state lemon laws.
+1, sounds like you bought a lemon, stick it to 'em
Old 03-27-2008, 03:05 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

One day out of warranty for this seems a little ridiculous to be denied. I'm sure the problem occurred well before you actually arrived at the dealer? Can't you play that angle? Especially from Performance Nissan?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
xedes

Shouldn't they go by the day you made the appt. and not the day you brought it in? I had something like this happen to my BMW. It needed new brakes, but the warranty was up two days prior to me bringing it in. However, since I had made the appt. a week before and this was the first day they had open, the service writer backdated the paperwork and covered the brakes under the warranty for me. It saved me 3600.00.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
bleufiend

The motor in the car now is only 20k old? This is crap if there denying your warranty claim.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

sorry to hear that.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
FLfinfan

Ditto on the day the appt was made vs the day brought in. Saved some money on repairs to cosmetic stuff on the Titan that way. They tried to put the ordering off till the part completely failed, but with alittle persistance It worked out.

Hope it works out better for you. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Jonathan Allyn

I have been there. GL

Last edited by Jonathan Allyn; 03-28-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 AM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something does not add up..... did you throw a rod and trash your block?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
jimster716

Originally Posted by SilverstoneZ
Something does not add up..... did you throw a rod and trash your block?
The first motor that was changed about 20k miles ago, yes the block was trashed. This time the motor is running it just was making funky noises.

It was actually two noises. Once the motor was up to temperature you could hear a high pitch squeal almost like accessory belts misaligned or bad bearings but it was internal. At first I thought it was an air breather leak or something.

The second noise was crazy...I'd never heard anything like it. Once the engine was shutoff, after a few seconds there was a high pitch creaking noise as if an old door was being shut or some kind of settling.

Basically, knowing something bad is going on in the block, I assume dealerships don't want to deal with rebuilds...cheaper, easier and less liability with just replacing the block.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. In the meantime, I'm renting a car while I await a final decision out of pocket...this really really blows.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimster716
The first motor that was changed about 20k miles ago, yes the block was trashed. This time the motor is running it just was making funky noises.

It was actually two noises. Once the motor was up to temperature you could hear a high pitch squeal almost like accessory belts misaligned or bad bearings but it was internal. At first I thought it was an air breather leak or something.

The second noise was crazy...I'd never heard anything like it. Once the engine was shutoff, after a few seconds there was a high pitch creaking noise as if an old door was being shut or some kind of settling.

Basically, knowing something bad is going on in the block, I assume dealerships don't want to deal with rebuilds...cheaper, easier and less liability with just replacing the block.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. In the meantime, I'm renting a car while I await a final decision out of pocket...this really really blows.

The second noise could be the "tick tick tick tick" sound that hot cats can make or a radiator gurgle sound.

Quick Reply: Can't Believe This...One Day Past Warranty Will Cost Me $9k