Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can't Believe This...One Day Past Warranty Will Cost Me $9k

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 AM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Believe This...One Day Past Warranty Will Cost Me $9k

I've owned an '03 350Z since new. I bought the extended Gold Plan warranty at the time of purchase.

I brought my car into Tim at Performance Nissan last Thurs (3/20) for service and to check a noise coming from the front. He called me back to let me know that there is a motor pressure problem and it looks I will need a new motor.

Unfortunately, he also told me that my extended warranty had expired the day before. I didn't know it had expired. Now Nissan Consumer Affairs appears to be denying me warranty coverage on any goodwill basis in light of the day previous expiration. I can't believe a matter of hours is going to cost me $9,200. Rules are rules but it feels cruel.

I've told them what kind of problems I've had with this car:
  • First and foremost: This is my second motor. The first was replaced under warranty for presumed oil consumption (it was already blown) about 20k miles ago
  • Transmission replaced under warranty during first year for gear grind
  • Fuel filler system components replaced during first year because fuel gauge wasn't accurate. The car still doesn't record fuel accurately...I go to empty, try to fill it up and I only need to put in 12-13 gallons.
  • Radiator replaced due to a blowout for unknown reasons.
  • Window motors replaced under warranty since my car felt it required additional fresh air ventilation at its own whim
  • Window greasing problem...I still have nice smears on the glass
I don't even know or recognize what's original on this car anymore.

Tim at Performance has been a fantastic service manager. I followed him from WCN back to Performance since he handled my first motor replacement. My issue isn't with Tim or Performance, they've done what they can. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do.

My options:
  1. Sell the car as is for cheap
  2. Mothball it as a post apocalyptic archaeological discovery in a barn somewhere
  3. Fix it, then sell it, lick my wounds, and move on from Nissan (this was my first Nissan vehicle)
  4. ...faaaawwwwkkkkkkkk $9k in 24 hours
I have one more call with the regional Consumer Affairs rep after my initial contact this morning. She thought I was requesting financial assistance for the repairs, FAWK NO...I could just hear them champing at the bit with the possibility of making even more money from me in interest. I'm not feeling hopeful at this point.

My desire to take part in the Z tradition in its return in 2003 has just left me with a bitter taste and I can only look back in regret.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM
terrorist22

That is really discouraging, but I guess that is how it is with first-year cars (especially this one). If that were me I would sell that car since I wouldn't feel like spending that much just to FIX it. If you have a spare car just drive that and wait for a really nice car to come up for a possible trade-in.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Considering that you have had motor and transmission problems, this may be a lemon law case. Check you state lemon laws.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Willie

Could you claim this on insurance and pay a deductable?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
zete350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just sucks. That does sound very cruel on Nissan's behalf. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
skr00ball

9K!! That sucks! That scares me, hope that doesnt happen with my 03 (knock on wood).
Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

For 9k, I would definitely either sell it or pick up a used engine from a wrecked 350z. Or contact Forged and have them send you a replacement built engine for less than that.

Originally Posted by jimster716
I've owned an '03 350Z since new. I bought the extended Gold Plan warranty at the time of purchase.

I brought my car into Tim at Performance Nissan last Thurs (3/20) for service and to check a noise coming from the front. He called me back to let me know that there is a motor pressure problem and it looks I will need a new motor.

Unfortunately, he also told me that my extended warranty had expired the day before. I didn't know it had expired. Now Nissan Consumer Affairs appears to be denying me warranty coverage on any goodwill basis in light of the day previous expiration. I can't believe a matter of hours is going to cost me $9,200. Rules are rules but it feels cruel.

I've told them what kind of problems I've had with this car:
  • First and foremost: This is my second motor. The first was replaced under warranty for presumed oil consumption (it was already blown) about 20k miles ago
  • Transmission replaced under warranty during first year for gear grind
  • Fuel filler system components replaced during first year because fuel gauge wasn't accurate. The car still doesn't record fuel accurately...I go to empty, try to fill it up and I only need to put in 12-13 gallons.
  • Radiator replaced due to a blowout for unknown reasons.
  • Window motors replaced under warranty since my car felt it required additional fresh air ventilation at its own whim
  • Window greasing problem...I still have nice smears on the glass
I don't even know or recognize what's original on this car anymore.

Tim at Performance has been a fantastic service manager. I followed him from WCN back to Performance since he handled my first motor replacement. My issue isn't with Tim or Performance, they've done what they can. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do.

My options:
  1. Sell the car as is for cheap
  2. Mothball it as a post apocalyptic archaeological discovery in a barn somewhere
  3. Fix it, then sell it, lick my wounds, and move on from Nissan (this was my first Nissan vehicle)
  4. ...faaaawwwwkkkkkkkk $9k in 24 hours
I have one more call with the regional Consumer Affairs rep after my initial contact this morning. She thought I was requesting financial assistance for the repairs, FAWK NO...I could just hear them champing at the bit with the possibility of making even more money from me in interest. I'm not feeling hopeful at this point.

My desire to take part in the Z tradition in its return in 2003 has just left me with a bitter taste and I can only look back in regret.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
THE_SCHROED

Ouch, I feel for ya man. 1 day that's horrible.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Or

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/335409-fs-built-long-block-5000-a.html
chickenputo

Lemon
Gooey

theres no warranty on the motor that was replaced?

if you were local I have couple of de motors in the yard. for 9k you can get a used motor and turbo it
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, my best idea would be to find a used motor and get to learn your car and put it in.. GL. sorry to hear
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Go built or buy used.

You stand to go cheaper both ways, if not equal with a built motor.

The warranty is out, why not go for more power?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 AM
theaxe1149

hinson supercars ls swap
5.6 from titan
Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Sounds all to convienent that you need a new engine not covered under warrany that will cost 9k at the end of March before the sales totals are released. if the engine runs and isn't spewing out oil i wouldn't take that "you need a new engine" to the bank. From my expereince with 2 different service shops 90% of the techs in there dont know what the **** they are talking about and the smallest internal problem will call for "an engine replacement" when indeed it can be repaired if there is anything out of the ordinary even wrong with it. Good luck with things.

**that goes for any part... they find oil on your plugs you "need a new engine" when in fact all you would have to do is change a gasket. They jump the gun to promote sales from rich people that don't have time to deal with it and a few grand is worth gettign rid of the headache. just my .02
Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 AM
zeekle

I would check somewhere else for options. I doubt anything is going to be cheap, but I am sure you can get an engine put in it (or the one you already have fixed/rebuilt) for less than that. I expect an engine with 20k miles on it to most likely NOT to be salvaged in some way
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Ouch. My factory warranty is about to run out. This thread is making me anxious.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Twon

if they cant do anything for you,

A. look into your local lemon laws
B. buy a used motor
c. buy a built motor and go FI

either way, F spending 9k for them to fix it. bastards.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One point that you could argue is that you reported the issue with the noise before the warranty expired (ie the reason for the service appt.) so, it should be covered.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by gmueip
Ouch. My factory warranty is about to run out. This thread is making me anxious.
Don't forget you have a Drivetrain warranty too which lasts longer.

Quick Reply: Can't Believe This...One Day Past Warranty Will Cost Me $9k