Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Performances or the look?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008 | 09:59 PM
PrevWon

I've always loved the look. Performance just adds to the sheer awesomeness of the car.
Old 04-19-2008 | 10:33 PM
xtrmspd

Originally Posted by carfi179
For me the stock body lines looks really good already, bodykits/fiberglass is NOT my style and never will. Im all about performance.
What's the whp on your Z?
Old 04-19-2008 | 11:15 PM
gregom

I got mine for performance reasons only... I think my 06 Tiburon looked better personally, but I just couldn't take FWD any longer. I solved understeer problems with suspension and good tires, but I like being able to stick the tail end out at command. But with the top down on my Roadster, its still quite sexy... The Z is more of an understated, true and honest sports car, and I like that. The Tib was more of a "hey look at me i'm really pretty" but, was merely an 'attempt' at a sports car that frankly, failed. Not a horrible car, but not a proper sports car.

Last edited by gregom; 04-19-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2008 | 11:38 PM
KaZ_77

The Z is sexy all round. I love the performance and the looks quite equally its my perfect car. I couldnt ask for a better car
Old 04-20-2008 | 12:25 AM
xtrmspd

Originally Posted by gregom
I got mine for performance reasons only... I think my 06 Tiburon looked better personally, but I just couldn't take FWD any longer. I solved understeer problems with suspension and good tires, but I like being able to stick the tail end out at command. But with the top down on my Roadster, its still quite sexy... The Z is more of an understated, true and honest sports car, and I like that. The Tib was more of a "hey look at me i'm really pretty" but, was merely an 'attempt' at a sports car that frankly, failed. Not a horrible car, but not a proper sports car.
I thank you for keeping my ppl fed, by buying a pretty car . The North Koreans salute you.

Cute maybe, but using "pretty" just doesn't sound right for a car.

The Z is like a Porsche wanna b. If you can't afford the Porsche, buy the Z.

BTW, if you were interested in a front wheel drive, why a Tib instead of an RSX type S? Stock for stock, the Tib would have no chance what so ever.
Old 04-20-2008 | 12:37 AM
gregom

Ehh I spend a lot of time with our British buddies so describing a car as 'pretty' is the same as us saying that car is sexy as hell.

Regardless, I got the Z for pure rear wheel drive goodness. Other considerations were reliability, power for the price, and general 'fun factor'... The Z fit perfectly...

I wasn't interested in FWD when I got the Tib though. At that time I wanted a good looking, reliable, convenient ride... Granted the RSX is quite a bit faster, but they are pretty common around here and I wanted something a bit more rare (which Tib's were rare here, 2 years ago). Plus the Tib has decent low-down torque, where the RSX does not. And I like low-down torque, not high-strung motors you have to rev like crazy (think S2K, RX-8). I wasn't so much concerned about raw power or 0-60 times...

I think the Z is the near perfect balance though, glad I got it!
Old 04-20-2008 | 12:49 AM
xtrmspd

Ehh I spend a lot of time with our British buddies so describing a car as 'pretty' is the same as us saying that car is sexy as hell.

Regardless, I got the Z for pure rear wheel drive goodness. Other considerations were reliability, power for the price, and general 'fun factor'... The Z fit perfectly...

I wasn't interested in FWD when I got the Tib though. At that time I wanted a good looking, reliable, convenient ride... Granted the RSX is quite a bit faster, but they are pretty common around here and I wanted something a bit more rare (which Tib's were rare here, 2 years ago). Plus the Tib has decent low-down torque, where the RSX does not. And I like low-down torque, not high-strung motors you have to rev like crazy (think S2K, RX-8). I wasn't so much concerned about raw power or 0-60 times...

I think the Z is the near perfect balance though, glad I got it!
Yeah, the Japanese cars are a bit high strung with their 4's and Honda's (Acuras) are everywhere. I had to sell my 06 RSX type S for a rear wheel drive also. Nothing beats a rear wheel drive and in some cases when you lose your rear end you can save a rear wheel drive car. The front wheel drives, once you lose the azz end you're done for.
Old 04-20-2008 | 11:08 AM
gregom

Originally Posted by xtrmspd
Yeah, the Japanese cars are a bit high strung with their 4's and Honda's (Acuras) are everywhere. I had to sell my 06 RSX type S for a rear wheel drive also. Nothing beats a rear wheel drive and in some cases when you lose your rear end you can save a rear wheel drive car. The front wheel drives, once you lose the azz end you're done for.
Well out of all those high strungs engines I felt the RSX had the most torque off the line... but it still wasn't enough.

As for losing it once a FWD starts sliding... I dunno, applying power can usually recover you. I got into a huge slide during autocross with my Tiburon and was (barely) able to recover it. Check it out its pretty funny: http://www.megabytemike.com/auto-x/2...mega-slide.avi

I gotta say though I hope those buying the STI/WRX are getting it for the performance because I think its rather ugly... lol, but everyone has their own taste in cars.
Old 04-20-2008 | 03:06 PM
jray8

Engine=good Looks=Greatness
Old 04-20-2008 | 04:44 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Originally: looks. Then: looks, performance, ergonomics, MPG (for a Sports car!), reliability, thrills, folks' admiration (back to looks!!!). It' a winner of a vehicle, no doubt!!!
Old 04-20-2008 | 04:47 PM
xtrmspd

Well out of all those high strungs engines I felt the RSX had the most torque off the line... but it still wasn't enough.

As for losing it once a FWD starts sliding... I dunno, applying power can usually recover you. I got into a huge slide during autocross with my Tiburon and was (barely) able to recover it. Check it out its pretty funny: http://www.megabytemike.com/auto-x/2...mega-slide.avi

I gotta say though I hope those buying the STI/WRX are getting it for the performance because I think its rather ugly... lol, but everyone has their own taste in cars.
It's not too bad (STI). That wouldn't be my first choice.

As far as rear sliding out, I was talking with the stock setup. It happened to me coming around a tight turn and the rear slid out and then caught and shot me around in a 180. I'm not saying a FWD can't handle, I've seen some modified ones do some crazy stuff. But over all the RWD can be controlled a bit more in certain situations.

Back in 87, I bought the 87 Conquest TSI and there was a situation where I had to whip out quickly to avoid an idiot and I started fish tailing. After 4 back and forth from the rear kicking out, I had it under control.

I would choose the RSX mainly because they have been proven in races etc. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the looks of the Tib (minus the first gen).
Old 04-20-2008 | 10:07 PM
07blk350z

agreed. looks. and performance. Our car is obviously Sexelent.
Old 04-21-2008 | 01:12 AM
hr350z33

I bought mine because CNN said it was the #1 chick magnet car!

but i still can't pick up chicks....sometimes i pick up gum wrapers during community service tho.
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:33 AM
Ataru074

Is a damn fast car on a road course for the money once you adjust the front camber... for 30K (new) you cannot have anything faster. and for few bucks more she can be even faster. mx5 is nice also on a road course but 160hp aren't imho enough to enjoy the thrill.
if you "invest" some money could be really fast AND give the feedback of a real sport car.. not a "grand touring". handling is the key on a road course
Old 04-21-2008 | 04:19 AM
bmaiZ

Originally Posted by hr350z33
I bought mine because CNN said it was the #1 chick magnet car!

but i still can't pick up chicks....sometimes i pick up gum wrapers during community service tho.
LOL hehehe
Old 04-21-2008 | 04:52 AM
RedBullRR

I always loved the Z, from beginning to the current model. I remember a while back in 2001 when they had the concept done for the new Z we see today, and I fell in love with her rite then and there. They put the history of all the Z's into 1 car. Took me a while, but I finally got her.

As far as looks over performance. With the Z I didnt have to negotiate that it came with both stock!
Old 04-21-2008 | 11:47 AM
Highway Riding

i just got my Z about 4-5 months ago and i want both but have started with performance first..
Old 04-21-2008 | 12:11 PM
zerafian

I was 18 when they first came out and loved what they looked like....so I would say looks. I would never say Iam a skilled driver so performance doesnt mean to much to me...I dont race or take it to the track...so performance in my car wont do me any good. But I think at this point a car with less performance would jsut aggrevate me..or less torque I should say.
Old 04-21-2008 | 12:37 PM
Hella

Originally Posted by bmaiZ
hey guys, i don't know anyone that posted this before but I'm just wondering most of the people that buy the 350Z for the look or it performances. I assume both but which one comes to mind first?
I was really looking for a car with tire feathering problems.
Old 04-21-2008 | 12:56 PM
WhiteNoiz

*please refer to post #2

Quick Reply: Performances or the look?