Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got approved for theZ this morning need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got approved for theZ this morning need some advice...

Well, this morning I got approved for a White Base Model 350z. I am very excited. My plans are stop tech BB kit, Bride Seats, and 17" Gram Light Pros in the front and 18" in the rear.

I currently have a 320hp WRX so Its a big decision for me to make. My car payment will be 60 bucks cheaper with the Z and I just love the car. I am a small guy so I fit perfectly in it.

Is there anything I should loook for.

Thanks
Matt
Old 07-07-2003, 01:47 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

If you don't want your Z with drilled holes in the front bumper (for the front license plate bracket), make sure that your contract says somewhere that it is not to be done. Seems that the majority of dealers take the "initiative" of making the drill holes and front bracket installation for you, whether you like it or not. If you don't care about this, then disregard the warning.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

excellent advice... that crossed my mind as soon as I saw it.

I am going to be making a big jump from AWD to RWD... I know how to drift real well... my cousin has an FD and I drift quite a bit... is the weight of the Z gona be an issue?
Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 PM
junglist350Z

the Z isnt a perfect 50/50 weighted car. its about 53% front and 47% rear...it understeers a bit and it can kick around but you gotta work at it to do it. it wont drift as easily as an FD would.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

I think the one thing holding me back at this point is the weight. How are Z's with sway bars handling? I am a big oversteer person as you can tell
Old 07-07-2003, 02:52 PM
lowbeeZ

Just curious, why do you prefer the Z over your 320hp WRX ?
Old 07-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

The Z is a beautiful machine. Its very refined, has presence, and is in a class by its self. I am sick of fixing up cars (except for little things like suspension and seats) but the WRX needs a lot of attention. The transmission on the WRX just dosent have what it takes to hold the HP.

The thing that attracted me to the Z was that I felt more comfortable in it. It fit me perfect. MY car payment will go down. Plus Nissan has always produced bullet proof engines that are torque monsters.

Matt
Old 07-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the darkside! * evil laugh *
Old 07-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

Originally posted by Bini2
Welcome to the darkside! * evil laugh *
Not quite yet!!!

Ill of course let everyone know whats up. The question is if I get it can this board handle me
Old 07-07-2003, 05:16 PM
shaneotool

I would go 18" wheels all around as opposed to 17 front and 18 rear. That staggered size would look funny.

You'll love the Z, I've never regretted getting it.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

I am excited and Nervous at the same time. I am getting mixed emotions from family members and friends as well as from myself. I have told myself a million times its not going to be as fast but man its just such an amazing car... and I am sure with a little suspension work I can turn this into my drift can and not have to start another project.

Matt
Old 07-07-2003, 06:12 PM
SlamMan

Why did you decide to go with the base model?

I was going to go with the base but with the addition of TCS, LSD and HIDs' (bling bling yo!) I thought the enthusiast will be worth while.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

LSD is a viscious which I have right now. I wanted something a little beefier. I know Cusco makes some LSD's, the TCS I want to drift in this can and that would hamper the drifting, and the HIDs... I really want them but I am sponsored for my WRX with an HID company Ill jst purchase a conversion kit. Hopefully the results will be similiar with light discharge and quality.

Matt
Old 07-07-2003, 07:25 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by junglist350Z
the Z isnt a perfect 50/50 weighted car. its about 53% front and 47% rear...it understeers a bit and it can kick around but you gotta work at it to do it. it wont drift as easily as an FD would.
You don't want a perfectly balance 50/50 car from a stand-still.

As a track car you want MORE weight up front naturally. When you brake you obviously will have more weight transfer to the front then giving the front tires traction. When accelerating the weight will then EVEN OUT to 50/50 giving perfect balance during cornering or acceleration.

Come now... simple physics!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

Correct... allowing some feathering of throttle without disrupting the balance of the car adversely. If you add alittle bit of throttle in the FD it will go around.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:45 PM
SlamMan

Originally posted by Oo DaRk StAr oO
LSD is a viscious which I have right now. I wanted something a little beefier. I know Cusco makes some LSD's, the TCS I want to drift in this can and that would hamper the drifting, and the HIDs... I really want them but I am sponsored for my WRX with an HID company Ill jst purchase a conversion kit. Hopefully the results will be similiar with light discharge and quality.

Matt
Thats kinda what I figured. In this months issue of SCC they put the Kaaz LSD into their 350. They said it was a must with sticky tires. As far as the TCS the only racing I will do is drag and road course.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

Viscious LSD dosent really get my blood flowing. When I was looking at the Track vs. Base... for what I want to do... its cheaper for me to buy the aftermarket stuff honestly.

I think the Kaaz LSD is a must have for any car!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:49 PM
PimpShiFus

So is TCS and LSD really helpful? what do they do really? I mean do they really do what they are suppose to do and how effective are they really? worth the money? Somehow i think they are totally useless, doesn't make much difference........is that true?
Old 07-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Oo DaRk StAr oO

TCS = Traction Control System

Basically it just bleeds the throttle off when it senses slip or a disturbance in the traction. The Supra TT had a very sensitive TCS system that also in turned limited to top speed. The VW Gold also has a TCS style system. Its rather annoying.

The LSD just controls slip by distibuting an equal amouth or power to each wheel (depending on the style of LSD). In my WRX I have a Viscous coupling in the middle but up front have nothing. My left wheel loves to spin around while the right one has traction. Again very Annoying.

Matt

If I missed anything please correct me
Old 07-07-2003, 09:30 PM
PimpShiFus

Originally posted by Oo DaRk StAr oO
TCS = Traction Control System

Basically it just bleeds the throttle off when it senses slip or a disturbance in the traction. The Supra TT had a very sensitive TCS system that also in turned limited to top speed. The VW Gold also has a TCS style system. Its rather annoying.

The LSD just controls slip by distibuting an equal amouth or power to each wheel (depending on the style of LSD). In my WRX I have a Viscous coupling in the middle but up front have nothing. My left wheel loves to spin around while the right one has traction. Again very Annoying.

Matt

If I missed anything please correct me
So TCS is basically not very useful if it just ease the throttle. I mean, we can manually go easier on the throttle if we are losing traction. LSD sounds good though, especially when accerlerating aaround a turn......right?

Quick Reply: Just got approved for theZ this morning need some advice...