Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A small gas experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 AM
chickenputo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmag
I drive a lot of interstate and hwy. I average 24 mpg. Usually shift at 3500 rpms, and drive at 70ish on the interstate.
Thats what I've been saying! Thank you!

edit: woops wrong quote!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
trains1937

Received 117 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Have you ever downshifted when you pass a Prius or hybrid car so they could hear you hurting the environment?

Yes, particularly when I have been behind them for 10 miles at 50 mph on a single lane, no pass road with a 55 mph speed limit and you come to a passing lane. Under those conditions revenge is sweet. And so it goes......
Old 04-25-2008, 09:22 AM
ny garbage_juice

[QUOTE=GalvatronType_R]
Originally Posted by ny300z

Again, I'm not complaining, this is an EXPERIMENT. I already get decent mpg and I'm just curious how much more I can squeeze out if I went to extreme measures for a week.

true
Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 AM
kneedragger81

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
Good job, but I doubt any of us will be able to stay that disciplined. With a sports car, gas mileage is second to fun factor. I wouldn't have purchased a sports car if I didn't fully understand the consequences. I drive my Z hard all the time, as I'm sure a lot of us do. Of course, I'm also getting hit with these gas prices. I pay $3.91 a gallon and it adds up nicely. This is why I'm searching for a commuter car to use as my primary transportation.

My beater is an r6...Save on gas...and faster than the z! But not goon in the rain... good thing i live in sunny san diego!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
lionheartednyhc

And you drive a Z why....?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
kneedragger81

Originally Posted by lionheartednyhc
And you drive a Z why....?
I think the z a beautiful car, damn good in handling with decent hp. I have a blast driving it!...The bike is fun on a different level. Fast as hell, good to take to the mountains to drag a knee or two, but a back breaker by the end of the day. I could not see myself using my bike to commute for a whole week considering I have a 60 mile commute everday.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 PM
blazed54

Originally Posted by Stogge
First, I am not an expert, but I think that you may use more fuel starting the car than you would at a pleasant idle at a stoplight? Any Thoughts on That?
i'm sure it varies from car to car but I remember learning in drivers ed that you should cut the engine if you're going to be idling for more than a minute to save gas. I would never do this while actually on the road, no matter how long the light is....
Old 04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
lionheartednyhc

Originally Posted by kneedragger81
I think the z a beautiful car, damn good in handling with decent hp. I have a blast driving it!...The bike is fun on a different level. Fast as hell, good to take to the mountains to drag a knee or two, but a back breaker by the end of the day. I could not see myself using my bike to commute for a whole week considering I have a 60 mile commute everday.
Sorry, that was adressed to the OP, not you
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol, i love how thick headed some people are... he said it was an experiment! for fun, just to see, for the hell of it, for ***** and grins..... jeezus you people.

I drive like a grandma too most the time because I am not 16 and dont have anything to prove to the "station wagon" who floors it next to me.

Money in my pocket. The car sees plenty of spirited driving when the time is right.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by annahandres
Yeah but it's just an experiment, I doubt he's gonna drive like a grandma forever. And if he does, that's his choice.
I agree its a just a cool experiment, doesn't mean anything else.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
636Racer

Originally Posted by kneedragger81
I feel you on that.

I had to remove the race fairings off my bike and reinstall the plastics. I had to find new passenger pegs for my fiance to ride with me towards work. I need to find new rearsets to replace the sato rearsets on the bike...they suck in daily communting...great for trackdays and bangin' turns though . I can only tolerate so much riding that I need to take a break and drive at times...especially in Hawaiian weather, the weather is unpredictable. The Island of Oahu has so many different climates for a small island. And dont get me started about traffic in Hawaii. What takes me only 20 minutes on a sunday to my working place, roughly 20 miles. It takes me about 1.5 hours to get there in traffic on the weekday. sitting on a bike, clutching and braking isnt exactly fun.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
I've tried that whole thing shifting at 3K RPM, but its hard when you see a station wagon flooring it next to you
word!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
350LowLife

Originally Posted by nkohler
lol, i love how thick headed some people are... he said it was an experiment! for fun, just to see, for the hell of it, for ***** and grins..... jeezus you people.

I drive like a grandma too most the time because I am not 16 and dont have anything to prove to the "station wagon" who floors it next to me.

Money in my pocket. The car sees plenty of spirited driving when the time is right.
Absolutely!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM
kneedragger81

get a beater bike. . .cheap! (i got my 02 r6 for $3500 w/ 1300 mi). I get about 40 mpg ave. Plus, when a cocky riced out car pulls right next to you, you wouldn't need your z to put him to his place.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:00 AM
GalvatronType_R

Final count after complete fill up:

For one week, after taking the measures described in the OP, I averaged 24.12 mpg. Not bad, it's an improvement over what I usually get (22 mpg).
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
rotchcrocket04

Nicely put. x2
Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
MadeIn350z

coasting in neutral and not being able to use AC while having windows up would totally pwn me a lot more than controlling my right foot.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Arondos

I'll work an hour of overtime and have fun instead of driving like my grandpa.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
xtrmspd

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
You're kidding me right?

Even though I'm not, let's say I'm obsessed and OCD about gas mileage and ultimately saving money. Why the hell would I spend $1000 on a beater and more money on insurance, gas, and maintenance for it just for a 4 mpg improvement over the 350? If I was really fixated on saving money through gas mileage, doing that would be completely idiotic.

Folks, this was just a one week experiment. I already get decent mileage but I just wanted to see how much more I could squeeze out by being conservative and I will still drive for fun so calm down everyone.
Hmmm...first of all, I'm pretty calm and I wasn't trying to be rude. I understand it's tough to see peoples expressions through typed words on a forum. I just had to put my 2 bits in because, when someone (such as yourself) talks about saving gas and seeing how much mpg you can get out of a sports car (doing this is completely idiotic), it's like putting 12" wheels on a Caddy. What's the point?

I mentioned nothing about a beater. I said get a commuter that gets good gas mileage. A commuter does not get 4mpg more than the Z, it's a bit more (1997 civic 5 spd man 39/45 mpg). The insurance for a 1997 commuter, let's say a civic dx, is no more than 70-90 bucks a month. You would spend far more than that on gas for a Z, especially if you put in premium. The amount would be quite a bit more if you have a bad record and/or you're fairly young. In this case, it would be pointless to get a Z.

All I'm saying is, if you can afford to go buy a sports car of any type, then the gas mileage would be of no concern. Unless of couse you're salary is less than desirable and you had to scrape up everything you (not you personally, just generalizing) had, to buy a Z.

Last edited by xtrmspd; 04-28-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
xtrmspd

Yes, we saw that part where he mentioned it was an experiment and this is a public forum, so you're going to get all kinds of replies (take it with a grain of salt). I believe with every vehicle that comes out, the experts have already done the experimenting with the mpg. It makes sense to just read the specs, rather than post a thread that shows an experiment on how much mpg you can get out of a stock Z. If you really want to experiment, modify the car and then check. Otherwise it's pointless to experiment with something that has already been done for the public.

Last edited by xtrmspd; 04-28-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: A small gas experiment...