Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What octane fuel do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 12:13 PM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the following only (and with good reason):

Sunoco 94 (average now of $1.75 in Cleveland)
Shell 92 (average now of $1.64 in Cleveland).

The reason that I use these two vendors has to do with gas quality. On my old Maxima, at 95,000 miles, I started to have very serious injector and gas mileage issues. After many visits to the dealer, it turned out to be the poor gas that I was using. I would use whatever was cheapest. At one point, the serviceman reached into my manifold and pulled out what looked like peanut butter. I was totally horrified.

They also tested my gas. It was aweful. Almost completely additivees. They suggested that I switch to Shell or Sunoco (preferred) because nationally they have the best quality with the fewest additives and locally they were proven to be the best.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Zenvy

100 Illinois ($3.25)

usually 93 ($1.78)
Old 07-10-2003, 05:59 AM
bully****

93 octane, usually Shell (closest to my house, is there really a difference?)

Montreal, Canada
Old 07-10-2003, 06:44 AM
dutchZ

Chevron 93, AL
Old 07-10-2003, 07:49 AM
NeoZ

91 in southern ca: price $1.89

Gas here is crap! I thought Bush would get us a discount on gas after that thing with Iraq WTF?
Old 07-10-2003, 07:52 AM
fanatic6711

$1.51 for 93 Octane at BP/Amaco.

I've seen 94 Octane at Sunoco for $1.47 but far from my lo-cal...
Old 07-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Buub

92 octane in the Seattle area, from '76/BP.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Buub

Originally posted by peptidbond
I use the following only (and with good reason):

Sunoco 94 (average now of $1.75 in Cleveland)
Shell 92 (average now of $1.64 in Cleveland).

The reason that I use these two vendors has to do with gas quality. On my old Maxima, at 95,000 miles, I started to have very serious injector and gas mileage issues. After many visits to the dealer, it turned out to be the poor gas that I was using. I would use whatever was cheapest. At one point, the serviceman reached into my manifold and pulled out what looked like peanut butter. I was totally horrified.

They also tested my gas. It was aweful. Almost completely additivees. They suggested that I switch to Shell or Sunoco (preferred) because nationally they have the best quality with the fewest additives and locally they were proven to be the best.
Just wanted to clarify this.

Almost all gas sold in the US is the same. I don't mean it's like other companies' gas, I mean it's the same gas from the same pipe. Gas companies pump gas into a common pipeline which is dispersed to various strategic points in the US. They will cycle different octanes and types (diesel, etc.) through and the end points will take what they need out of the pipeline when its cycle is in progress.

Distribution stations will take gas from the pipeline to their company-specific distribution station. This is where the difference comes in. At this point each company will add in their proprietary additives. This is probably where the difference between your cheap crappy gas and good gas come in. But the gas they use before additives is the same.

I suspect that the difference here is that cheap crappy gas uses some cheap crappy additives, and any quality gas station will add high-quality additives which will make the quality gas pretty much the same.

I saw all this on the Discovery Channel or The Learning Channel (same company), so blame them if there are any inaccuracies. :-)

Last edited by Buub; 07-10-2003 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:23 AM
peptidbond

I agree with your representation. This is in fact how it works. However, there is one important thing to note. When cheap crappy gas companies add additives, it is not just cheap crappy additives. They use some additives, such as ethanol, to make their gas cheaper. Ethanol is cheaper than gas and it mixes well. It also has the side benefit of being cleaner (for the environment). However, ethanol is not the greatest for you car. This is just a simple example. Trust me, there are much nastier additives out there (MTBE for example). At any rate, it is the additives that you have to worry about. From my experience, Sunoco and Shell tend to be pretty clean. Consequently, they also tend to be more expensive. The funny thing is, BP is the most expensive around here and everyone warns you against there gas. Some people have even experienced immediate car trouble after just one tank of BP. Now, I was told this, I don't have personal experience. Just a heads up.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Buub

Good to hear confirmation. :-)

Interesting your comments on BP. Their stations were always well-maintained and nice and clean. I haven't had any problems with their gas but would like to use the best stuff I can get.

In contrast, the Shell station (used to be Texico -- why do they change the signs if it's the same company?) doesn't maintain its pumps as well as the BP (now 76 -- same question). So I stayed away from the Shell.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:50 AM
stonesfan

Sunoco Utra 94, NJ
Old 07-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

What about Randall's, Kroger's, or even Walmart Gas station? Are they any good? You usuall get some good discount with these gas stations..

I paid $1.42 for 93octane at Randall's. (Houston, TX.)
Old 07-10-2003, 06:56 PM
bhobson333

Default Gas quality

Originally posted by Buub
Almost all gas sold in the US is the same. I don't mean it's like other companies' gas, I mean it's the same gas from the same pipe.
Check your sources. My understanding is that this is true for regular unleaded but not true for premium. The premium gas (which we all should be running) is different by the brand.

I have run nothing but Amoco Ultimate in my car since the first fill-up. (Since BP bought Amoco a few years ago, BP stations in the U.S. now sell Amoco gas.) The reason is because...well, let me quote NSANY:

Gas has three basic flavors when refined -- regular, plus, or premium. Each retailer adds their own additives (which have a marginal impact at best). But it all starts as one of three or four basic crude oils.

The only (repeat -- ONLY) gasoline which has a totally unique refining process is Amoco Ultimate.

Not that there's anything wrong with regular branded gas, but if you're using Sunoco high-octane, you can just as easily use Hess.

I use Amoco Ultimate as often as possible, and will use another brand high-test when Amoco is out of reach. Take it from someone who worked at the refinery with the largest catalytic cracker in the world (hitch your drawers up when you say that) -- put Amoco Ultimate in the tank when you can. Everything else is just one of your basic three blends.

Gasoline is reddish, pink, right? (We all agree on that, I hope). That color is caused by PNAs leftover from the refining process. PNAs are PolyNuclear Aromatics, and are a leading cause of deposits in your engine.

Amoco's unique process goes the extra step to remove PNAs from the gas, hence the clear color. It's not to say that it's light years better than every other gasoline out there, but it IS different.

Most of your modern refineries produce your basic three grades of gas, but the Amoco process is one that stands alone. If you ever have a chance to visit the "rack" at a refinery, (that's where the tankers fill up), you'd be surprised to see how many branded gasolines all come from the same place. Basically, nothing is different except for the additives that each puts in at the gas station.
That's good enough for me.

93 octane Amoco Ultimate, $1.40 North Carolina

Last edited by bhobson333; 07-10-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Buub

Default Re: Gas quality

Originally posted by bhobson333
Check your sources. My understanding is that this is true for regular unleaded but not true for premium. The premium gas (which we all should be running) is different by the brand.
Well then how would they get it to all the stations if they weren't using the common pipeline? I don't think it would cost just 10c more if they had to truck all the Ultimate all over the country.

Of course I'm not familiar with Ultimate and maybe it costs 50c more. But if it's only 10c I would find it hard to believe they weren't putting it into the common pipe and pulling a similar gas out down the distribution line.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Jspec350z

I use sunoco 94 at 1.67 a gallon most of the time. Citgo 93 when I want to use there carwash. I have no problems with either. My car runs great all the time. Maybe it is all the same ****
Old 07-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Buub

Well like I said, the gas may be the same but the additives aren't.

Good "gas" should have high-quality additives that actually make your car run better over time. Cheap "gas" may actually be worse for your car than gas with no additives in it.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Tubbs SF
Charter Member #85

We are paying $2.11+ here in SF for 91. Luckily, the Costco by my residence sells it for $1.8x...at least yesterday it was.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:57 PM
poweraddict

I use 93 when I have to, 105 when I have the luxery.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:26 PM
mgl

Originally posted by Tubbs SF
We are paying $2.11+ here in SF for 91. Luckily, the Costco by my residence sells it for $1.8x...at least yesterday it was.

in regards to gas from costco....... the gas from costco messed up my uncle's gs430. he brought the car back to the dealership stating that there was an weird smell coming from the car. the lexus service team worked long and hard in determining what was wrong.... they found out that the source of the problem was from the gas he was using. they found out that the costco gas has too much additives from a sulfuric base. he warned me of the costco gas, so i never use it. its either shell or chevron for me.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:54 PM
oscarmayer00

Default I use 87 octane No. Cal

The higher octane is only for top end, 130mph+

I haven't come close to the top end so why waste the money.

The car runs fine with 87 octane.

Quick Reply: What octane fuel do you use?