Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

4 extra miles on my car after oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Vitamin Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

From the dealer invoice.
I have to sign it every time I drop off the car.

AUTHORIZATION TO REPAIR

I hereby authorize the repair work herein set forth to be done along with the necessary material and agree that you are not responsible for loss or damage to vehicle or articles let in vehicle in case of fire, theft or any other cause beyond your control or for any delays caused by unavailability of parts or delays in parts shipments by the supplier or transporter. I hereby grant you and/or your employees permission to operate the vehicle herein described on streets, highways or elsewhere for the purpose of testing and/or inspection. An express mechanic’s lien is hereby acknowledged on below vehicle to secure the amount of repairs thereto. I authorize you to retain possession of this vehicle if the repairs listed hereon are not paid for.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:01 AM
mdelia

Vitamin Z, I'm fairly certain that Bini stated he didn't sign a release anywhere. However I went back through the thread quickly and wasn't able to find it.

Labshark, you've already been extremely derogatory in this thread, but you edited and removed about 90% of your post in which you flamed everyone who didn't agree with you about 15 minutes later...
Old 07-11-2003, 07:14 AM
gooters

Body shops often have insurance for incidents like that. I would still be pissed, because that Vette was certainly going over highway speed! But, bodyshops do often have a need to drive the vehicles they work on. Now if some random Firestone shop totalled your new car, I would bet that getting the money for it would be a little tougher still than from a body shop.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:41 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by labshark7

I am simply stating the fact that I am right in this matter.

All others who have posted so far, are wrong. I dont think it would be proper for me to agree with them, when proper repair and service procedure dictate the car be taken on a test drive.

I have given several examples of where this is posted, and where to find such information.

What I cant understand is why you are debating the undisputable facts, I am right, all others who disagree with me 100% are wrong. FACT!

Those are all opinions. It is your opinion that you are "right" and everyone else is "wrong". That's not a fact.

I haven't looked in the thread very hard yet, but I haven't seen any indisputable evidence to support your opinions. Why don't you reference page numbers and cite some of the information you claim support your opinions, particularly that a Nissan tech is required and should test drive a car after an oil change. I'd like to see some documentation. Forgive me, but I'd rather not take your word on the information you posted.

By the way, you can't win an argument by proclaiming yourself the victor and attacking those with whom you disagree.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right *if* I had signed something authorizing my vehicle to be driven, then this whole argument would be moot.

As stated in the origional post:

1) Explanation of the situation, including the fact that I never signed a document authorizing anyone at the shop drive my vehicle.
I signed nothing, I just told the sales person that I wanted Mobil 1, gave him the miles on the vehicle, and that told him that I would be back in a couple of hours to pick my z up.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Vitamin Z

To be honest, you are pretty lucky to only have this little problem. Your first mistake was going to Firestone. I learned it a hard way some time ago to never ever go to any one of those franchise places (Firestone, Good Year, Pep Boys, etc). I heard so many horrible stories that it would not even cross my mined to ever take my car there. If anything needs to be done that's not covered by warranty I always go to local performance shops. Most of them are family owned, everybody is friendly and most of all they car about your business because they want you to come back.

As far as firestone, write the letter and complain. However it will most likely never materialize in to anything but maybe a free oil change. And I don't think you want to come back there again.

My advice to you, find some local performance shops and let them do all the work on your Z. You will never have a problem like this again.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The release posted above is EXACTLY what I was referring to. If such a release was presented to and signed by the owner....END OF DISCUSSION. He has NO beef whatsoever.

Labshark, I'm still waiting for the post that shows where in the Nissan 350Z factory service manual, it states that you should not idle your car for more than five minutes and that it is recommened that the tech drive the car after an oil change.

Come on, you're not going to make ME go and look it up now are you?
Old 07-11-2003, 12:27 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
The release posted above is EXACTLY what I was referring to. If such a release was presented to and signed by the owner....END OF DISCUSSION. He has NO beef whatsoever.

Labshark, I'm still waiting for the post that shows where in the Nissan 350Z factory service manual, it states that you should not idle your car for more than five minutes and that it is recommened that the tech drive the car after an oil change.

Come on, you're not going to make ME go and look it up now are you?
Actually, Doc, the release only qualifies permission to operate the vehicle "for the purpose of testing and/or inspection". A test or inspection would, therefore, have to be warranted before such operation is necessary. If there is no procedure documented for taking a car on a test drive after an oil change, the release still doesn't allow the use of the vehicle for a test drive. If the work order explicitly mentions that a test drive is needed, then the release applies. Otherwise, the customer could still dispute the use of his car for test drives even after signing this release, citing that the test drive wasn't necessary.

That's how I would interpret that release. Its a general document for use when testing IS necessary. I seriously doubt the necessity of a test drive after an oil change and I seriously doubt such procedure is prescribed by Nissan explicitly. I'd be pretty surprised if Nissan did prescribe a test drive after each oil change. I'd like to see the legitimate documentation, if its claimed that they do.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:09 AM
stonesfan

So...............where is Labshark now????? Haven't heard a word from him in a while. :-)
Old 07-14-2003, 06:23 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by stonesfan
So...............where is Labshark now????? Haven't heard a word from him in a while. :-)
He's been unavoidably and indefinitely detained. See under his screen name.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:48 AM
stonesfan

Cool

Hmmmm. It appears that the entire members list has been disabled.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:06 AM
350zdanny

Wow I can't believe this post is still going. Labshark got banned? Is what he was doing not allowed?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:10 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by 350zdanny
Wow I can't believe this post is still going. Labshark got banned? Is what he was doing not allowed?
There's always a good reason for a member being banned--just most of the reason gets cleaned up before most of the members see it.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:07 PM
gooters

Yeah, most of his posts were edited. He was just trying to get a rise outta everyone anyway.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:49 PM
WashUJon

Anyone miss him? I sure don't...

Old 07-14-2003, 03:20 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Just think what a great country this would be if nobody ever complained, and just accepted the answer "sorry, but that's our policy." We'd always be getting screwed everywhere everytime.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:30 AM
dubiux

Found this from FreshAlloy:

he just went in for an oil change
Old 07-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Buub

Ouch!

Hmm... well there's another advantage taking it to the local Grease Monkey rather than the dealer. They don't take your car for a drive, and even if they tried you'd be able to see them leave with it.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:44 AM
stonesfan

Cool

Got my 6,000 mile oil change yesterday at the dealer. Mileage was 6,094 when I dropped the car off and 6,094 when I picked it up. So.....not all dealers take your car for a test drive, as I was happy to see!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 PM
gguff

You think thats bad...get this

I put down a 1K deposit on my Z. The dealer told me it was being held in the back of the lot secured and covered. A week later I purchased the car. Once I'm home I notice an extra 40 miles on the car.

FORTY!!!

...what can ya do

Quick Reply: 4 extra miles on my car after oil change.