Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z running without oil for 2 month/ F@ck Nissan!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmueip
No corn based substitute?
Corn oil should only be used in girl on girl wrestling matches,
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
My350P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your oil pressure light never came on, you are probably fine. Sounds like the dealership is taking care of it anyway. Start checking your fluids. Better to discover a problem before your engine explodes, regardless of who is to blame for it.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
VENOMSZ

Originally Posted by neeferea
Dear Fellow members,

I am pissed. I went in for an oil change today and was told that during my previous oil change Woodsfield Nissan did not screw in the plug correctly resulting in a loss of oil and me driving with 2qt of oil for 3,000 miles. Engine is probably messed up. Any advice on how to proceed? Should I call Nissan? What should I do?
I am upset. Poor Z.
Not surprising at all coming from a Nissan dealership.
Sorry to hear about that tragedy.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
threetothefour

it's better than what i went through... like 5 years ago i bought the 97 honda prelude and stupid *** dealer told he changed engine oil for me. well car was running fine at first time but later on my car's clutch is started to not working well and i couldnt even change gear. so i had tow my car and shop told me that whoever changed oil, they put freaking transmission oil in engine oil pipe and put engine oil in master pipe or something... so my engine and master pipe were fxxk up so i had sold my car as it is. and i bought my Z haha
Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
jetnoirZ

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
omg dealer name

hey better watchout with the dealer names the censorship will commence
Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Neo_B

its ur own fault for not checking the oil..
Old 05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
rmezz13

The dealership (not Nissan) is responsible for the problem. But as a car owner you should be doing routine preventative maintenance on every car you drive. Check the oil every other day, or at least once a week. I always check the fluids on my cars every weekend, and when i change the oil on them i check the level for about 5 days straight to make sure its all good and no leaks! Since my Z is not my daily driver, i usually check the oil on it before i get it out of the garage. If your not getting the oil changes for free, do them yourself, its easy and not expensive. You can buy a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 full synthetic at Wal*Mart for $20-$25, thats what i do, then use the jug to put the old oil in.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:44 PM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiNzz
Agreed, although if one pays the dealer to change the oil, they should be able to trust that their mechanics can do a proper oil change without messing up. Hope it all works out for you though, at least it seems as though they acknowledge that it is THEIR fault, and hopefully they will properly fix the situation.
They usually have young kids without prior mechanical experience doing LOF's. (Lube Oil Filter)
Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Zquicksilver

I never had a problem with Woodfield... they treated me very well It seems you just got a mechanic who didn't tighten the drain plug enough. The dealership is huge, I'm sure the mechanic who signed off on your car has already been "warned", unfortunately at your cars expense.

GL,
Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 05-07-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 AM
BYL

Not only do I make a routine out of checking my engine oil level on a regular bases. But i ALWAYS!!!! check the oil level after every oil change. You never know when a moron forgets to put the other 2 quarts, so you drive around thinking a dealrship or a shop is professional and trained enough to do the job propertly. But, trust me my friends, there are some reeeaaal TOOLS out there. Moreover, most people don't give a shyte about other people's property. Some may do it on purpopse.
As far as the OP, i wouldn't rule out the possibility that the mechanic doing the oil change only gave you 2 quarts of oil in the first place. If the plug wasn't screwed in correctly, you would most definately see oil marks where ever you went.
Depending on the dealership, they will most likely try to make you a part of the problem for not doing a regular check up on the car. If they are descent, they won't, but have them inspect the engine for possible damages and I would get an independent opinion, just in case.
my .02 pennies.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Who is "they"? The dealer or some other shop?

Odd that somebody would see an oil puddle under your car after being parked there for a short period of time but you or nobody else noticed it before that day.

Define "faulty plug". I've never heard of or seen a drain plug "fail". You either leave it loose and have a small drip or take it out and the oil pours out in about 60 seconds.

Drain plugs cant really fail, but they can be faulty if the threads are stripped, or if the plug was tightened too much. In the latter case when the pan heats up and the metal expands, it puts pressure on the overtightened plug and can cause it to strip even more if not so already. Either way oil can leak out, and even possibly ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING AND PAN HEATS UP, thereby explaining no big oil puddles under the car when it sits, off. Instead, little oil drops everywhere you drove.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
PM-Performance

I agree you shouldnt have to check it. Thats what you pay them for when they change the oil. Its a new car.

On that note, my dealer did the same thing to me. I noticed it on my garage floor. I noticed it before much came out and tightened it up myself and refilled. I will likely be doing them myself now.
Cant trust anyone else's labor anymore.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:49 AM
exchange240sx

Originally Posted by zzz350
You will get no help legally. You just don't have a case, you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt who actually caused the problem. Since you don't check your oil ever, you have no time frame to base as to when your problem started to occur. The court will say, hmmm the dealer could have done it, a pissed off neighbor or co-worker could have loosened the plug, or the owner may have actually worked on the car himself and didn't tighten the screw properly. Sorry, but it's your baby.

Off topic, but this would be a civil case (or even an administrative if you chose to file your case with an administrative agency such as the DMV), not a criminal one. The standard in civil cases is whether you have proved your case beyond a "preponderance of the evidence", meaning whether it is more likely than not. The "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard applies to criminal cases.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:49 AM
SargentZ

You shouldn't have to do alot of things but these are people like you and me, they screw up. I've been screwed over enough by shady or stupid mechanics to go over my cars and check fluids everytime something is done. Last time I had work done they left some valve cover bolts off, and the intake was disconneted, unbeleivable! and this was a dealership.

Here's some pix of the bottom of my 07. I do my own changes.

Be sure to use a fresh copper crush washer for each change, dealer gave me a small hand full.

Finger start the bolt and do not over tighten. Your guy probably used some kind of motorized or air device to put on the plug. Ouch..
Attached Thumbnails 350z running without oil for 2 month/ F@ck Nissan!!!!-07z-plug-on.jpg   350z running without oil for 2 month/ F@ck Nissan!!!!-07z-plug-off.jpg  
Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
bailey bill

Running 2 quarts low on a 5 quart system will cause no problems at all.

As long as there is enough oil to keep the pump pickup tube submerged, you will have full lubrication, and full oil pressure.

But there is a reason there is a dipstick in the engine compartment. I suggest you make use of it.

bill
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tubbs
you should check your oil more often.

+1 failure to do a routine check like that by the operator does not make it Nissans fault
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
jolt3500

I just changed my oil Sunday night and like a quart came out. That pisses me off.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not the dealership's fault that you don't check your oil. It's your car, not theirs.

There might also be an oil consumption problem with your engine, but you would never know since you never check the oil.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Two MONTHS w./o. verifying your oil level...hmmm...

Quick Reply: 350z running without oil for 2 month/ F@ck Nissan!!!!