Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My sad, sad story...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 03:15 PM
bshockley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My sad, sad story...

Ok, here's the deal. I just graduated college, Aerospace Eng. from KU. In mid March I got some info on a job that matched me perfectly, and the likelyhood to match someone else was very very low. (That's all the detail I'll give - don't want to waste too much space). Anyway, after waiting a while I find out mid-June that they won't be hiring this year (Damn Economy). So, I have now applied to like 15-20 other positions through-out the Aerospace industry.

My problem is, I was really wanting to get my Z asap, now I have to wait until I am hired, and all this waiting is freaking killing me. So, here I sit, and read this forum all day (cause I have nothing better to do until I get a job) and I just get more and more anxious. I know for sure what my first major purchase will be. I guess I just have to be more patient.

That being said...anyone want to contribute to the "Z for Me" fund? I accept paypal, money orders, and personal checks (must wait 2 week). Upon receipt of your money I will send an official 'Thank You' certificate signed by yous truely. On any donations over 1000 USD I will travel to your house and take you for a ride upon receiving my Z. Just think, for just pennies a second, you can help those in need.

Edit: I just got a job today, so not long now...

Last edited by bshockley; 08-21-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:19 PM
350zdanny

LOL. I was in the same boat you were in not too long ago. I had my ITR stolen in my senior year of college and I had to ensure that I could pay for this one before I signed for it.

Good luck. Gimme your paypal address and I'll send you the 5 bucks they gave me for signing up. It's still sitting in my account. It's a start.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:29 PM
bshockley

Oh, that's a good point. Everyone here can sign up for a paypal account and then send the 5 bucks to me. Afterwards, if they don't want the account, they can close it out.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Z4KR

Angry $5

I never got my $5 when I signed up??? What gives
Good luck with your job search bshockley.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i was out in Lawerence two years ago for an SAE competition ... maybe you saw the Mini-Baja race cars out there...

http://uclaracing.com/
Old 07-09-2003, 04:25 PM
MadMax76

Originally posted by bshockley
Oh, that's a good point. Everyone here can sign up for a paypal account and then send the 5 bucks to me. Afterwards, if they don't want the account, they can close it out.
Hmmmmmm, that's nice scam waiting to happen. If someone (I don't know who) would open many phony accounts imagen the amount.

I was in the same boat, now I am working on a contract waiting to be hired. As soon as that happens I am getting da Z too.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:39 PM
bshockley

Some one freaking shoot me now!!!

I was looking at the local KC dealer inventory just now for another member and I noticed that the Jay Wolfe Nissan now has the EXACT car I want. Lemans Sunset, Burnt Orage, 6MT, Aero.

Damn....
Old 07-09-2003, 05:45 PM
gooters

You'll get it shock. I was in your exact situation last Dec. I grad with an engineering degree from A&M and managed to get a job...but at a **** poor starting salary. These days I'm just glad to have a job. Hang in there! Oh yeah, get settled into your new job a few months b4 you buy, you would be suprised how those unforseen expenses can get you.

BTW, I havent baught yet either. Keep sending your resumes out!
Old 07-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Zmoney

okay,

I was really waiting to hear a real sad story, but you cant get your Z when you want to...waaaaa

I feel you on the economy though I was laid off 2x in 2 years. Just be patient your time will come. bang
Old 07-10-2003, 04:25 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I'm looking for a parts driver. On what I pay these guys you should be able to buy that Z in......well.........never mind.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:19 AM
bully****

Sorry dude, but between paying the lease for my car, the rent, and everything else, I have no money left for you. I always med interns were paid better than this! NO wonder nobody in Quebec wants to work in the medical sector.

Don't worry though. Things will improve, and you'll find a job.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM
peptidbond

Not to be unsympathetic, but you need to help yourself. Searhcing for a job is not sending out 15-20 resumes and then reading a forum. Searching for a job is a job. You have to put in at least 8 active hours a day to be successful, especially in this economy.

Check out the book "What color is your parachute". It really helped my girlfrined.

Anyhow, asking for money on this forum will never get you that Z. However, the harder you work at getting a job, the closer you will get the Z. At any rate, I do wish you the best of luck. I am sure you will find something soon. Just keep in mind that the Z is your reward for the hard work.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM
meatwad79

Default this economy can blow me

i graduated last year in may and was one of the VERY fortunate to get a good job let alone a job at all out of my class. i have friends who are still looking!!
out of a class of 25 (waaaaay to big for the automotive design ind.) only about 6 of us got car design jobs. the rest either got suppliers, products, contract, or nothing at all.
i guess what im saying is the economy cant suck forever. it has to get better soon. good luck
Old 07-10-2003, 10:57 AM
bshockley

Originally posted by peptidbond

Check out the book "What color is your parachute".
Thanks, I'll check it out.

What do you mean 8 hours a day? I have spent most of my days searching for jobs. I searched internet, newpapers, and company websites. I've got Monster.com going searhing for me, as well as a search for Lockheed and Boeing constantly working. I am starting to get less picky on my jobs. That's where the newspaper is coming in handy. I am searching for something decent to at least hold me over for a while.

But, I am at starting to get to the end (there are only so many entry level aerospace engineering jobs out there).

Any other suggestions?

I also work for my father on the side (so I do work, just not 40 hours a week and cerainly not enough to get a Z).
Old 07-10-2003, 07:39 PM
JoeAE2005

This is interesting because I am currently studying Aerospace Engineering, except I'm at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I'm actually going into the Air Force as a pilot, so thankfully I don't have to deal with the bad economy (although I do have to compete for a pilot slot). Anyhow, good luck on finding a job!

-Joe
Old 07-10-2003, 07:49 PM
2003z

Originally posted by bshockley

Any other suggestions?

like the post above mine mentions, any thought to being a military pilot? He is going Air Force, I went Navy through ROTC. You could go to Officer Candidate school and flight school, possibly lead to a career in flying, a post graduate degree paid for by the military, a military career, or at worst, a few years out of your life, having the time of your life!

I spent 10 years in the Navy. I flew brand new 707's out of Honolulu Hawaii, and 40 year old ski-equipped C-130s in Antarctica. Made great friends, had great experiences, and came out of it a much more rounded person. When I was 22 I directly supervised over 150 people in my ground job (an aircraft maintenance officer), not to mention, commanded a 70+ million dollar airplane.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:47 PM
bshockley

Originally posted by 2003z
like the post above mine mentions, any thought to being a military pilot? He is going Air Force, I went Navy through ROTC. You could go to Officer Candidate school and flight school, possibly lead to a career in flying, a post graduate degree paid for by the military, a military career, or at worst, a few years out of your life, having the time of your life!

I spent 10 years in the Navy. I flew brand new 707's out of Honolulu Hawaii, and 40 year old ski-equipped C-130s in Antarctica. Made great friends, had great experiences, and came out of it a much more rounded person. When I was 22 I directly supervised over 150 people in my ground job (an aircraft maintenance officer), not to mention, commanded a 70+ million dollar airplane.
Funny you both mention this as I have considered just that. I have looked into Air Force just a little. I don't have very good eyes, and did a self exam at home (found a chart off the internet and measured out 3 meters - then read from it). If I squint I get 20/50. Corrected my eyes are 20/20. Again I stress this isn't acurate and I really need to get another exam anyway, so I will know for sure then.

I currently have a Private Pilot's License, so I know I like flying. Anyway, I'll have to check into it more.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:13 AM
2003z

they have vision waivers, and since you already graduated and aren't looking for a scholarship or anything, flight school would be guaranteed, or you wouldn't sign up.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:15 AM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont feel bad I have to finish school before i get mah Z
Old 07-11-2003, 11:55 AM
jnebill

Default Hmm...

You could always try to get a job selling Nissan's! I'm sure it would be cool to tell people how great you think they are, from an aerospace engineer's point of view!

Then, you could at least go on test drives in the Z. From what I remember when I was shopping, Lawrence never has too many in stock though.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: My sad, sad story...