Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Potential Z convert

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:14 PM
evo_karter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Z convert

Hey all! New guys here and wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm currently thinking about getting a 350z (with the HR motor) to possibly replace my 03 Evo. I've had the Evo for over 4 years now and it's been a great car but now I'm ready to move on to something with civility and luxury (relative to the Evo). I've test driven an 08 Enthusiast and got to say that I love how the new HR engine is so smooth and free revving. The interior and ride comfort are several notches better than my car IMO. I've looked at a few other cars, the Evo X and the 135i namely, but I always keep going back to the Z since it has the best bang for the buck I think.

Anyway, with the looming debut of the 370Z later this year, I'm hesitant in getting an 08 now since a new (and possibly better) Z is coming out. I've read the articles and seen the rendered pics and I'm still not sold on the new look. The headlights are fine but the 'fangs' just turn me off. The current car looks better IMO. I've also read that it'll be lighter and a bit more powerful than the current car but what I don't like is that the price is expected to go up (some say to $35k+!) and that just kills it for me.

Just wanted to get people's opinion on whether I should get the 350Z or wait for the 370Z. With price of the current enthusiast package hovering right around 30k, it's a great buy but I don't want to have buyer's remorse once the 370Z comes out and turns out it's a better deal. I'm also not planning on tracking the car or modifying it to the Nth degree, it'll be a DD for the most part. Thanks!

BTW, here a link to my Evo's for sale ad in case anyone is interested. (Mods: I tried posting an Ad in the classified section but it's not letting me so. Please don't delete my thread, I'm more interested in hearing peoples opinion that trying to sell my car here) http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=339927
Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome. Wait for the 380Z.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
my05350z

get the 08, do you really want the first batch of a new model?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:42 PM
CSF

if you're willing to wait for the 370z, you can wait til it's released and see if you like it. if you don't, you get get the 08 for an even better deal
Old 05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you need civility and luxury, get the G35 or G37.

If you need sporty with a little luxury and can deal with a not-so-smooth ride quality, get the 350z.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ +1
Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
blazed54

wait till the 370z comes out in less than a year, and get the 08 for dirt cheap . I personally will always buy the last year production vehicle vs a first year production vehicle. Why? because unless you're buying a $200,000 car, a brand new nissan will be rare for only so long. and you get one with all the kinks worked out. versus a vehicle that just begun the fine tuning process.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
evo_karter

Originally Posted by blazed54
wait till the 370z comes out in less than a year, and get the 08 for dirt cheap . I personally will always buy the last year production vehicle vs a first year production vehicle. Why? because unless you're buying a $200,000 car, a brand new nissan will be rare for only so long. and you get one with all the kinks worked out. versus a vehicle that just begun the fine tuning process.
Makes sense. Hopefully they don't run out of stock before the 370 comes out (like what Mitsu did when the Evo X came out). Thanks for all the info! BTW, what do you guys average as far as MPGs?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:10 PM
my05350z

oh oh, he didnt ask that ^^
Old 05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
boostinger

22-30 mpg
Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Denum

Originally Posted by boostinger
22-30 mpg

Minus 5.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
z-u-later

I hope you're not considering buying a high-performance car for fuel economy reasons . . .
Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 PM
evo_karter

Originally Posted by z-u-later
I hope you're not considering buying a high-performance car for fuel economy reasons . . .
No, but it's something to consider between the cars I'm looking at. As it stands, between the Evo X, 135 and the Z, the Z has the best fuel economy. If fuel economy is a big factor in my decision, I'd either get a Cooper S or a Miata.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
2fast4comfort

i get above 20mpg i don't pay attention beyond that...out of curiosity why put a turbo timer on a stock engine?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 PM
mostlypeaceful

Originally Posted by evo_karter
Hey all! New guys here and wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm currently thinking about getting a 350z (with the HR motor) to possibly replace my 03 Evo. I've had the Evo for over 4 years now and it's been a great car but now I'm ready to move on to something with civility and luxury (relative to the Evo). I've test driven an 08 Enthusiast and got to say that I love how the new HR engine is so smooth and free revving. The interior and ride comfort are several notches better than my car IMO. I've looked at a few other cars, the Evo X and the 135i namely, but I always keep going back to the Z since it has the best bang for the buck I think.

Anyway, with the looming debut of the 370Z later this year, I'm hesitant in getting an 08 now since a new (and possibly better) Z is coming out. I've read the articles and seen the rendered pics and I'm still not sold on the new look. The headlights are fine but the 'fangs' just turn me off. The current car looks better IMO. I've also read that it'll be lighter and a bit more powerful than the current car but what I don't like is that the price is expected to go up (some say to $35k+!) and that just kills it for me.

Just wanted to get people's opinion on whether I should get the 350Z or wait for the 370Z. With price of the current enthusiast package hovering right around 30k, it's a great buy but I don't want to have buyer's remorse once the 370Z comes out and turns out it's a better deal. I'm also not planning on tracking the car or modifying it to the Nth degree, it'll be a DD for the most part. Thanks!
Recently I had the same decision to make. Do I buy an Evo X, 135i, 350Z, or G37S. The Evo X while nice, didn't seem to be as much of an adult car as the remaining three. The G37S and 135i were nice, but optioned up too quickly to well over $40k. Their premium packages were a bit too luxury over function oriented for my tastes. I didn't want to spend $2k so my seats had a memory function. I almost went for the 135i, but the dealers around here had nothing on the lot and weren't willing to make a deal. The best I found was $1k under MSRP, and that was ordering it from Germany with a 90 day wait. In the end I picked up a 2008 350Z Grand Touring /w nav for invoice.

If you have the cash consider a 135i. A flat-six with twin turbos makes for an impressive car. The 350Z definitely leads in bang for the buck however.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 AM
evo_karter

Originally Posted by 2fast4comfort
i get above 20mpg i don't pay attention beyond that...out of curiosity why put a turbo timer on a stock engine?
It's more convenient than actually sitting in the car waiting for the oil to cool down. Even stock, my car (and I think most turbocharged vehicles) need to cooled for at least a minute. In the owner's manual, mitsu recommends at least 45 seconds or so before shutting off the engine. When I bought the car, I watched a short 'new owner video' at the dealership and in it they also said to let the car cool down before shutting it off. When I didn't have the timer, I would sit in the car for a minute or two which wasn't bad unless I had to pee and then it was excruciating!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Arondos

If you are wanting reliability and lack of problems I'd go with the 08. Generally buying a car in the first year of it's model run is a bad idea. You'll get all the recalls, problems, and bugs that didn't get caught. IF the 08's stay in stock you might save some cash waiting till the 370 comes out though.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
KManZ
Banned

If I were you, hang on to your current car and cash for a year or so. In that time, you will get to see the final release version of the 370Z, and the prices for the 135i and G37s will drop. Should make the decision a bit easier, and allow you to save more money.

But, like others have said, you can't go wrong with the '08 Zed. The car is nice All the troubles have been worked out for the most part.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
blazed54

Originally Posted by KManZ
If I were you, hang on to your current car and cash for a year or so. In that time, you will get to see the final release version of the 370Z, and the prices for the 135i and G37s will drop. Should make the decision a bit easier, and allow you to save more money.

But, like others have said, you can't go wrong with the '08 Zed. The car is nice All the troubles have been worked out for the most part.
funny you should call it Zed. I saw a g35 today with ZED on the trunk in shiny chrome letters. wonder what he was thinking??
Old 05-06-2008, 03:10 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by blazed54
funny you should call it Zed. I saw a g35 today with ZED on the trunk in shiny chrome letters. wonder what he was thinking??
maybe thats his name haha

Quick Reply: Potential Z convert