Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deposits

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 11:01 PM
kazak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question deposits

does anyone know why the deposits are non-refundable if you back out of the deal? i mean if you do back out of a deal, the dealer can then turn around and offer it to whomever wants to put down a deposit to buy this car then you get your money back, right?
Old 08-18-2002, 11:04 PM
vanstorm16

Most people have been able to get their deposits either refunded if they were getting out of the deal or written into the contract that the deposit is refundable.

With the popularity of the car, demand will be high and the dealers will have no problem turning around and getting $$ for it. IMO, I don't think there is any reason that the dealer wouldn't agree to make it refundable.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:09 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Not all dealers are stating "non-refundable". You don't say where you live either. If you're in Calif. it's illegal not to refund a deposit...actually it's illegal to even accept a deposit on a vehicle that's not even built but it's done anyway.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:13 AM
ToddLuc

Default Re: deposits

Originally posted by kazak
does anyone know why the deposits are non-refundable if you back out of the deal? i mean if you do back out of a deal, the dealer can then turn around and offer it to whomever wants to put down a deposit to buy this car then you get your money back, right?
Most dealers ask for a non-refundable deposit to ensure you are serious. It would suck for a dealer to order a vehicle, then have the customer just say "nope, changed my mind." There has to be some accountability by the customer.

That said, deposits are only non-refundable if you change your mind. Most laws cover you if you cannot get funding, etc. Laws vary state to state though.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:22 AM
kazak

reason why i ask is because i pre-ordered the enthusiast model but had a change of heart and wanted the perfomance model instead. now the salesman says i have to put another deposit down when another buyer backs out of his deal. i couldn't understand why they can't just transfer that deposit over. then he told me that nissan wants all the Z's to be sold as soon as it hits their floor. then more ******** from him....
Old 08-19-2002, 06:51 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by kazak
reason why i ask is because i pre-ordered the enthusiast model but had a change of heart and wanted the perfomance model instead. now the salesman says i have to put another deposit down when another buyer backs out of his deal. i couldn't understand why they can't just transfer that deposit over. then he told me that nissan wants all the Z's to be sold as soon as it hits their floor. then more ******** from him....
Assuming the deposit is the typical $1,000...

The dealer got your $1,000 for the first Z, and already got $1,000 from the original buyer. They will now get another $1,000 from you on the 2nd Z, and will get yet another $1,000 from the next owner of your first Z. 2 Z's, $2,000 each. Not bad for a minutes work.

I think the issue here is that you are considering abandoning your first Z. Albeit for another Z. The dealer still has to worry about selling your first Z. (I know, it is an easy task, but it is an expensive asset on the books until sold) I am not supporting this behavior, I am just pointing out a possiblity.