Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

the practicality of a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 07:08 AM
y_b_lamron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sketcher

like maybe 'hmmm... it seems there is a luggage teleportation button hidden under the edge of the driver's seat, how very practical, seeing as how there is no room for anything larger than 2 golfbags (apparently)'
Actually I can still fit all my work related stuff in the back along with 2 sets of clubs. When I first looked at the car I was worried about space also but it's amazing how much actually fits in there w/o losing visibility.

But practical...I think not. Who the hell cares though
Old 07-20-2003, 07:32 AM
jesseenglish

If you're going enlisted and are coming in as an Airman Basic, I'd really like to know how you expect to be able to afford the Z. An E1 with less than 4 months service doesn't make a whole lot.

Base Pay - $1064.70
BAS - $242.81 only after you graduate Basic and Tech training

Subtract

GIBill Payment $100 for first 12 months
SGLI $20 Life insurance
Taxes on Base Pay

You will have to pay state taxes on your pay until you get stationed out of Texas. Once you move out of Texas, they don't require you to pay state taxes. I think Florida and California are two other states that do that. Still have to pay FEDERAL TAXES, FICA-SOC SECURITY, FICA-MEDICARE

You're only looking at making around $1000-$1100 a month after you graduate your technical training. BTW, BAS or Basic Allowance for Subsistence isn't guaranteed. They can make you eat in the Dining Facility and not give you BAS at all. It depends on the unit you're in.

I don't believe the Air Force gives any enlistment bonuses, so unless you've saved a bunch of money to make a large down payment I hope you like Top Ramen.

http://www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/2003paytable.pdf

Last edited by jesseenglish; 07-20-2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:29 PM
sketcher

my recruiter has been programmed with all sorts of air force pr bs, and he is not very good at all with straight answers

an example situation:
me 'how much exactly will i be making in the air force"
him: 'well, depending on what kind of payscale you get, you could be making anywhere from $[xxxx] to $[xxxx], it all really depends on what you get... and dude, the air force pays for your food, you get free housing, free free free blah blah money, big bling bling, pimp hand, representing, jeffersons!'

me: 'uh, right'

my backup plan, once i have seen what the money situation is actually like, if it is not enough for a Z to be paid for and still live pretty comfortably, i will likely be getting a protege 5 or an rx-8
Old 07-20-2003, 07:37 PM
sketcher

my recruiter has been programmed with all sorts of air force pr bs, and he is not very good at all with straight answers

an example situation:
me 'how much exactly will i be making in the air force"
him: 'well, depending on what kind of payscale you get, you could be making anywhere from $[xxxx] to $[xxxx], it all really depends on what you get... and dude, the air force pays for your food, you get free housing, free free free blah blah money, big bling bling, pimp hand, representing, jeffersons!'

me: 'uh, right'

my backup plan, once i have seen what the money situation is actually like, if it is not enough for a Z to be paid for and still live pretty comfortably, i will likely be getting a protege 5 or an rx-8

oh, and im getting an 8k bonus
Old 07-21-2003, 03:25 PM
cincyspider

Hell, when you have kids you can do like I did...switch to a 2+2!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:33 PM
jesseenglish

Unless you've got a couple years of college, you're going to go in as an E1 and the payscale is as I stated. Now depending on your job, you might get flight pay, but that's only if you're on an active aircrew.

Oh I don't know if your recruiter mentioned it, but you only get half of your bonus up front, the other half gets split up and paid annually on your enlistment date. Plus the taxes on that bonus are a *****. I think it's something like 17% off the top, so you'll actually only get like $3320.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
jesseenglish

One more thing, the free housing.... It's a room with a bed, a dresser and a desk. The airforce is better about it and you might not have a roommate once you get finished all of your training, but there's the possibility that you will.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but it can suck for a while until you get promoted, just want you to be realistic.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:40 PM
ttheisen93

--Putting my Officer's hat on--

You can't afford this car on a one striper's salary, period dot. Your expenses are going to be low enough that you can afford a car in the $15,000 range, but anything more is out of your league for a few years. Car dealers abound around every base, eager to help the new guys to way too much car, knowing that they'll be reposessing it a year or two down the road. Unfortunately for the Airman, financial problems aren't your "personal business" like they are in other jobs. You can be held responsible by your chain of command and given non-judicial punishment. Do yourself a favor and come in with something inexpensive, or if you've already got a car, keep it for a couple of years. Wait until you put on another stripe or better yet, two. (I drove a $10,000 car until pinning on Major) You'll have a lot better handle on your expenses versus your income, and you'll be making more money.

Also, start putting something away for retirement as early as possible. The time versus interest value of money will pay you big rewards if you start early, since the more periods of interest you have between the time you start investing and the time you plan on retiring, the more exponential your earnings get on the back end. It is possible to retire from the military and not have to find another job, but you have to be very disciplined about saving. The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), a government plan recently expanded to include military members, and which gives you tax-deferred earnings and comes out of your before-tax income, is a great place to start. Ask your finance office how to sign up when you get to your first base, and start putting away something you won't miss too badly, like $50 a month. See www.tsp.gov for more details.

Finally, think about starting your college education as soon as possible. You're only going to gain responsiblility as you go up in the ranks in the military, so the most free time you're ever going to have is when you come in. See your base education office about getting set up to get your bachelor's degree. There are several ways to do it, online even, so you can keep taking classes while deployed. If you knock that out early, you can apply for Officer's Training School, and reap the rewards of your efforts with a very nicely improved paycheck. Even if you aren't interested in the officer route, getting a free education is nothing to sneeze at, will improve your salary and work prospects if you get out, and is more and more required if you want to make it up to the Senior Enlisted ranks.

--Officer's Hat Off--

Welcome to the Air Force!!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:09 PM
sketcher

hey, thanks
im glad i got a chance to meet a fellow Z lover who is already in the air force

well, that sucks how they will be taking so much moolah out of my pay, but i guess i should have seen it coming

i kinda figured i would be needing to hang onto my sentra with its action paint chips
guess i can hold out for the mazda 3, or one of the new miatas (i love the a-type)

my brother has probably put himself in a really bad spot by selling his ranger before leaving for basic
i will try to avoid that mistake

also... does anyone know how long nissan will be selling the Z?
i dont want to be buying a used one several years down the road, a new one (mayhaps a 2005 or 06) model would be nice, if it will still be in production
Old 07-21-2003, 06:24 PM
jackwhale

I have yet to meet a 350Z driver who mentioned the word 'practical' in discussing the car. Every one is quite excited about the car none the less. I think the infinity sport coupe is also a great car for the same price if one wants more practicality.

I planned to sell my pick up after buying the 350Z but then I re-discovered practicality and kept the truck. I can't get my guitar+amp, bicycle, wife and grandchild, etc (you name it) in the car. I don't golf so it doesn't matter if one or two golf clubs can be squeezed into the car.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Reb1281

Don't join any military branch. I joined the army when I was 18, did four years as a 91Papa(X-Ray Tech). The pay is pitiful, you get treated like a third world citizen, it's worthless. I'm working in construction right now while finishing up school, and I make 3 times what I ever made in the army, and the work(compared to the army) is much easier. Damn, it's great to be free. By the way, the month that I got out I bought my 350z(CS, Performance model, every option except NAV) because in the army I couldn't afford it. Words of wisdom!!!. Take it easy.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:05 PM
sketcher

well, i'll sure consider that (mumblemumblemumblemumble)

no... i think i will go ahead and go into the air force
i would like a way to get the hell out of montgomery, texas
i would like to have a decent job for 20 years, i would like to be able to retire and get a nice checkat the end of every month
i would also like to be more responsible, have better discipline, get a degree (im a college dropout at the moment)

right now, im going nowhere in life, my last job was doing bitchwork for the local school system
my pay was like 5.50/hour, and i was way overloaded with work

my current job is pushing damn carts at walmart, to get me in shape for basic, but i know that if i dont kno into the air force, i will probably just wind up keeping this lousy job cause i have no motivation

the Z and the possibility of having a nice military carreer for 20 years has really helped me stay interested in the air force
i went ahead and fell for the recruiter's bs, cause i know that whatever is waiting for me inthe air force, its way better than anything i have or have ever had so far

nope, im pretty sure that staying with the air force is a good thing for me

oh, and uh... patriotism, and stuff
ehh...
Old 07-21-2003, 09:55 PM
jesseenglish

Good choice, there's always going to be people telling you how, when they were in the military they were miserable. It all depends on a persons job and ambitions. I love my job and if I had it to do over again I would have made the same choice, (probably wouldn't have married my exwife, but that's another story).

Congratulations on your choice, keep up a good outlook on things and you'll have a good time.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:13 PM
ttheisen93

I've made a lot of sacrifices being in the military, but the plusses by far outweigh the minuses, which is why I just signed a contract to take my career out to 20 years. I've gotten to see things and be in places I could only see in movies or on TV as a civilian, and I know I can hold my head up high and be proud to say what I do when I meet new people.

You've got obviously got an optimistic viewpoint Sketcher, as well as the fact that you've got your priorities straight and you have a lot of maturity for someone I'm guessing is pretty (relatively) young, and that's going to serve you very well. Try to stay a "glass half-full" kind of guy and you're going to go places!
Old 07-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Reb1281

I understand that you want to get out of your current situation. That's what I thought at the same time, when I decided to join. Just realize that all recruiter's are devious salesmen. And while I was stationed in either Fort Benning, GA or Fort Sam Houston,TX I ran across more miserable people than optimistic ones. It takes a certain type of person to really get satisfaction out of a job that revolves around war(and only war!!). Several friends of mine went into certain military branches, and not one was happy. Two of them went into severe depression and I hardly see them. One went AWOL and had to return as a deserter. He received a discharge(OTH-Other than Honorable). I had noticed that most of the proud army men were self-absorbed, over-achieving A$$holes that would step on you with hardly a regret. Just know that this was my experience and it might not necessarily end up being yours. With all this being said, I wish you good luck and hope you at least get something out of it that I never did.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Z ULAYDA

I'm glad to see others mention practicality. That word should never be used at the same time with 350Z or any true sports car!

And groceries? I can get hundreds of dollars worth in the Z. We can get a good size cooler, folding chairs, small luggage, although the cat carrier has to go in the front seat! Jeep was down for the count that day.

The thought is, not to try to stuff so much into the Z. Take something else and just enjoy the Z for what it is. If you can't do this, then keep another car, or do as others here suggusted, a G35 or the like. Maybe now is not the time for you and a Z.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:02 PM
sketcher

Default i assume i have gone to the dark side

today before work, i went to the local hyundai dealership and test drove (whats that?! i got a test drive with no hassle (like at the nissan dealership down the road)) the 03 tiburon gt v6
thats a pretty damn nice car

i love its styling, it comes with loads of nice features standard, its only around 20k, and yes... its warrantee can kick your warantee's a$$

i hate bringing warrantees into this, but hell... your warrantee vs mine on the playground after school.

i only wish it had a more powerful engine

oh, and heheh... i opened the trunk and, well, wherever you are, you probably heard a gasp- that was me...
i could probably fit 2 shetland ponies into the trunk of the tibby

oh, and the jokes of rear seats (worse than the G35) fold down and extend the trunk

this car rocks

i hate saying i love a hyundai, but i love this hyundai

oh, and also, like i previously mentioned, i work at walmart as a cart pusher
i see many cars every day
i have seen a few z's and i have seen a few 03 tiburons... the chicks seriously dig the tibby

i think im the only person (in my area) aside from the drivers of the Z's to appreciate its beuty and awesomeness
its like nobody notices the car unless i point it out to them!
Old 07-24-2003, 03:55 AM
marhot

Default Ha Ha Ha...

Very funny post sketcher

You are, of course, joking. Right??
Old 07-24-2003, 04:30 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i assume i have gone to the dark side

Originally posted by sketcher

i love its styling, it comes with loads of nice features standard, its only around 20k, and yes... its warrantee can kick your warantee's a$$

warantee?? most people mod their car so warantee is the last thing on your list.

Man you can't be serious in comparing a Hyundai Tiburon to a Z. Thats car is like on the bottom of the food chain. its a wannabe sports coupe. Nobody I know or see digs a Hyundai. Have to say it but only people that buys the tiburon are HS kids that wanna look cool and mid age people who wanna look cool, but everyone else knows better.

but hey its your money, and remember what board this is, pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:15 AM
stonesfan

Cool

Excuse me but I must laugh! bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tiburon vs Z? NO F*CKIN WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: the practicality of a Z?