Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question about mounting toll tags

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 AM
firedancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about mounting toll tags

Hey everyone. I just got my first tolltag and I need some help on where I can put it. I know the rules (at least in Texas) about mounting it 1/2" below the rear view mirror, but my issue is that I have a cool radar detector mount from country joy crafts that looks like this:

I don't want to cover the Z logo with the stupid toll tag, so would it be possible to mount it elsewhere, such as to the right or left of the mirror, possibly under the dotted "shaded" portion of the windshield around the rear view mirror. I'm kindof worried that if I mount it there, it won't register at the toll booth reader thingies. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do, or do I just HAVE to mount it below the mirror and cover my cool Z logo radar detector mount?? Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Neb

some of my friends have them and you pretty much can put them wherever

a lot of the time they will just lay it on the dash as you are driving through and it picks it up
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Ataru074

you can put it half the way on the dotted area... mine is there.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Lento

We have these in MA and all you have to do is hold it up when you drive through and it picks it up, then throw it back in the cup holder.

I like to play how fast can you go and still have it pick it up.

30 is the highest so far, I'm always like OOOO nooo its not going to work..... then the light always turns green
Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by firedancer
Hey everyone. I just got my first tolltag and I need some help on where I can put it. I know the rules (at least in Texas) about mounting it 1/2" below the rear view mirror, but my issue is that I have a cool radar detector mount from country joy crafts that looks like this:

I don't want to cover the Z logo with the stupid toll tag, so would it be possible to mount it elsewhere, such as to the right or left of the mirror, possibly under the dotted "shaded" portion of the windshield around the rear view mirror. I'm kindof worried that if I mount it there, it won't register at the toll booth reader thingies. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do, or do I just HAVE to mount it below the mirror and cover my cool Z logo radar detector mount?? Thanks!!
I use the same Toll system here in Houston, with the same tag. I'll take a picture tonight and post in the morning.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Ataru074
you can put it half the way on the dotted area... mine is there.
+1. The shaded portion will not interfere. Mine is mounted like Ataru074's..
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
firedancer

thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming!! I don't think the texas toll tags you can just hold up - it says you have to have it permanently attached to the windshield, and our toll booths you can fly through at 70 mph.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
firedancer

Originally Posted by vo7848
+1. The shaded portion will not interfere. Mine is mounted like Ataru074's..
It doesn't have to be in the MIDDLE of the windshield??
Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
firedancer

Originally Posted by vo7848
I use the same Toll system here in Houston, with the same tag. I'll take a picture tonight and post in the morning.
thanks, I would appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
bloodwings19

Get a front license plate tag because that is what I have, but I didn't drill on the front of the car. So when I'm about to go through the toll plaza, I put the license plate tag on top of the 3 thingys on my Z. I have not missed a toll yet, but if you don't plan out your routes, or you use it everyday, you better drill the front because it will be a hassle remembering it. A hassle that is worth it for me. My friend has the toll tag under the shaded portion, and my pop also has one on his car for couple years with no problems, I know this because I paid for all my family toll usage.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
NextLevel

Originally Posted by bloodwings19
Get a front license plate tag because that is what I have, but I didn't drill on the front of the car. So when I'm about to go through the toll plaza, I put the license plate tag on top of the 3 thingys on my Z. I have not missed a toll yet, but if you don't plan out your routes, or you use it everyday, you better drill the front because it will be a hassle remembering it. A hassle that is worth it for me. My friend has the toll tag under the shaded portion, and my pop also has one on his car for couple years with no problems, I know this because I paid for all my family toll usage.

I also have a front plate, but since my windshield is tinted, it gave me issues reading, so I just put it on the front lip (just 2 black zipties, and the doublesided tape) barely noticeable.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
TheBroberts

i just throw it up when i need to use it...
Old 07-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Neb

Originally Posted by firedancer
thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming!! I don't think the texas toll tags you can just hold up - it says you have to have it permanently attached to the windshield, and our toll booths you can fly through at 70 mph.
Thats the same thing they say everywhere. You're not -suppose- to hold it up.. but it still works
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Thermal1

ya, just hold it up in the window as you drive through. Why wouldn't it work?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:26 AM
firedancer

Originally Posted by Apothyosis
ya, just hold it up in the window as you drive through. Why wouldn't it work?
kinda seems like a pain in the *** to me to try to remember to hold it up all the time! I'll look into the front license plate mounted tags. Keep the suggestions coming guys, and pics are great too, thanks!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 AM
drinkingmymilk

Put it in the lower left hand side. I have my fast pass there and no problems. Hell it works mounted to the spedo on my bike.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Get_Zwole

i keep mine in the cubby and never take it out it picks up fine everytime. Hell i wanted to see how strong the sensor was one time so i put it under my seat and it still picked up. I go through them 75mph + every week and it works fine.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:26 PM
JSia

i just lay mine on the dash when im about to go through
Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
firedancer

oh so it's sensors that pick the thing up? I thought it was like a camera or something that read the barcode thingie. Now that I look at the tolltag, it seems like it has a small chip or something inside it. Guess it makes sense now. I think I may try putting it in the shaded area right above (to the left or right) the rearview morror. Heck, if it works while in your cubby or under the seat, then it should work there!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Ichigo

The tags for EZ-pass are awful as well. There are certain windsheilds coatings that interfere with tags so I did what anyone one do, I lied and got an external tag to use. Mounted it in between the grill blades on the front of the car. They are intended to bolt onto front license plates (screw that) Never had a problem registering at the booth. I will try to take a better picture in the light

Last edited by Ichigo; 07-18-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about mounting toll tags