Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

People getting compliments - What color Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 07:38 PM
bhobson333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by marhot
I was born a Tarheel, and a Tarheel I’ll died, but for now I’m a Jayhawk!
Haha! Got your coach!

Actually, not sure yet we want him, he pissed us off when he dissed us a couple years ago. He's still family, though....

BTW: I was born in Wichita, KS! Weird...

Last edited by bhobson333; 07-30-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Buub

It's funny that the Brickyard Red was so unpopular and rare a color because every time I take my car to a Z-Car Club of Washington event I get compliments on the color. "Oooh! I LOVE that color! Is that the Brickyard?" "Wow! I really love that color! What is that?" It's pretty cool. :-)
Attached Thumbnails People getting compliments - What color Z?-350z-pose-side.jpg  
Old 07-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Buub

Default Re: My opinions of the colors

Originally posted by bhobson333
Personal opinion, bluntly stated. Don't get mad

Brickyard - Kind of like LS, it doesn't look great unless it's clean and in the sun. Very dull, looks like plum when dirty or in the shade.
No problem. I agree with most of your statements, except this one.

I'm not sure you've really seen BYR in its best element. Yeah it needs to be kept clean, but when it is, HOO BOY is it deep. It's a dark burgundy or plum-like color, but it's metallic, so it's deeeep and shiny.

Check a clean one out in some really good light and take a real close look. I think you'll agree. :-)

BTW, what do you mean "LS"?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:24 PM
wren57
Banned

Super Black - Incredible when clean, my favorite color (when clean), and looks mean as hell with some tint and dark wheels (I love ares car and there is someone else I cant remember with bronze wheels)... just gets dirty in 30 seconds outside and looks very faded/weathered when dirty

Pikes Peak White - Looks nice sitting still, very classy and elegant, just not sporty enough

Redline - Eye catching, aggressive, intrusive, everything a sports car is and should be

Chrome Silver - its silver, like 75% of the other cars on the road

LeMans Sunset - looks very nice, but orange isnt my thing

Brickyard - I like it OK, but its a bit too purple for my tastes, and all purple cars look awful after a few years

Daytona Blue - gorgous... looks good clean or dirty, very aggressive, Im just not a blue person either

Silverstone - once again, its silver, blah

Obviously these are just my opinions, and of course Im biased towards red, thats why I bought red And hey, can't hurt the fact that Im going to Alabama, home of the Crimson (red) Tide
Old 07-30-2003, 09:05 PM
scottycoyote

i had every intention on ordering the orange......but when i pulled into my dealers and saw the white i just fell in love with it. All the men i asked said orange was cool, every woman i asked said it was ugly.
Attached Thumbnails People getting compliments - What color Z?-car-009.jpg  
Old 07-30-2003, 09:12 PM
soupnazi1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: My opinions of the colors

Originally posted by wren57
Super Black - Incredible when clean, my favorite color (when clean), and looks mean as hell with some tint and dark wheels (I love ares car and there is someone else I cant remember with bronze wheels)... just gets dirty in 30 seconds outside and looks very faded/weathered when dirty

Pikes Peak White - Looks nice sitting still, very classy and elegant, just not sporty enough

Redline - Eye catching, aggressive, intrusive, everything a sports car is and should be

LeMans Sunset - looks very nice, but orange isnt my thing

Brickyard - I like it OK, but its a bit too purple for my tastes, and all purple cars look awful after a few years

Daytona Blue - gorgous... looks good clean or dirty, very aggressive, Im just not a blue person either

Silverstone - once again, its silver, blah

I love hearing the opinions on all the colors. Keep 'em coming!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:52 PM
sparky3Z

Default Hey Buub

Nice photo of your Brickyard.

Watch out that bra doesn't mess up your paint. I had a Lexus SC300 with a bra and once got behind a truck hauling limestone (I think) in a South Florida rainstorm. When I got back home from my trip and removed the bra, I had whitish deposits stuck to my paint, and I do mean stuck. I never could get all of it off. I never used the bra again.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:58 PM
JimH

Default Sigh..... It's NOT ORANGE! It's......

Oh well, I guess I'll just post a pic of the most beautiful color scheme as shown by the Arizona sunshine... Oh, yeah, You're right, we are all biased a bit toward the color we bought in to.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:00 AM
SteveZzz

Jim-
I just KNEW someone would jump in and respond to the orange comment. You're right, it's certainly not orange, and it looks good!

Here's my take.........

Silverstone - very nice, but I think it's really a "compromise" color. Not too dark and not too light. Kind of takes the best and worst of all the colors and comes up with a happy medium. Certainly the color that varies the most depending on light conditions.

Chrome Silver - Yes, it's the most common and popular. I think that's because it's the best "match" for the rest of the Z styling. The door handles match, the wheels match, the aluminum trim matches. etc. All in all, it give the car it's most uniform look. (Yes, I own a CS, but I'm trying to be unbiased)

Black - Nothing prettier than a black car, but after owning a few, I just couldn't deal with the constant washing, etc. It's OK to have an SUV that is occasionally dirty, but it just wouldn't be right to have a dirty looking Z!

Sunset - Beautiful, too, but I was really concerned that it would look very outdated in a few years. Sort of reminds me of the teal/green shades that were so popular a few years ago. Now they look outdated.

White - Nice, shows the lines well, but I think it takes the "edge" off the car and softens it a bit more than I think the Z should look.

Brickyard - Great potential, but a bit too dark for my preference giving the cleaning requirements. Looks much better up close than from a distance.

Daytona Blue - Probably more popular with under 30 drivers than with us older drivers. It is an OK color, but I don't think it accentuates the lines of the car. It doesn't add any richness to the car either.

Redline - Something is wrong with the shade. Red on a sportscar should be awesome, but for some reason it just doesn't "pop" on the Z. It's almost like it's starting to fade already.

Originally posted by wren57

Actually, silver is only about 20% of the cars in North America, but still the most popular.

Here's an interesting article that discusses car color popularity.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pi...0/daily37.html

Last edited by SteveZzz; 07-31-2003 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:14 AM
mcduck

First, I'm not voting... obviously, everyone is going to like their color best (and since we Brickyard owners are the only ones that are really right, there is no point to debate!)

Like most, my car often turns heads as I drive down the road... even moreso with the recent Nismo body kit addition. And I do get questioned at least once at a traffic light on most days.

What has amazed me is I have had 3 separate instances where people have chased me down (I'm talking u-turn, breaking speed limits, and following me into the parking lot of my final destination), just so they could ask what color my car is because "it is so beautiful and/or unique". I had one lady follow me, by her own admission, for almost 3 miles just to ask me about the color.

Also, for Brian H, two things...

1 - Informal surveys (including a study I did a few months back based on numbers from the VIN Soup Scafremon kept), showed that Silverstone is more common than any color except, maybe, Chrome Silver. The sample of vehicles for the study was approximately 5% of the total population of Zs at that point, and the SS and CS numbers were very close and collectively accounted for over 50% of the 350Z produced to that point. No offense, but if we actually had a big 350Z gathering in NC, you'd probably find Silverstone is no more uncommon than Chrome Silver.

2 - I think you are over harsh toward the Brickyard. Maybe because you did not see mine at its best during the cookout... more a product of being filthy from the 2.5 hour drive in the rain than the lighting. For you, I offer this sample of how Brickyard really looks to see if you still think it is "very dull" ...

The photo is neither in direct sunlight or an overcast sky... just average daylight
Attached Thumbnails People getting compliments - What color Z?-smdscn0534.jpg  
Old 07-31-2003, 06:15 AM
mcduck

and for fun... here's a nice one of 4 of the 8 colors in the same pic...
Attached Thumbnails People getting compliments - What color Z?-lineup.jpg  
Old 07-31-2003, 07:45 AM
celiboy

I am an unbiased observer here who is looking at getting a Z. Frankly Nissan has the best paint amongst the main car manufacturers (Ford, GM, Toy, etc.) All of the paint on their cars looks outstanding. I have a 7th gen Celica and the paint quality is not very good at all after only two years. Also up here in Canada I have yet to see the Plum color...I'm not sure we get it here.

Personally a clean black 350Z is stunning....I'm not sure I would get black b/c I have owned a black car before and it is hell to keep clean. I would likely go with Daytona Blue. Anyway you go you can't go wrong though. All the colors look great and the paint looks of high quality.

Actually I was at a local Z dealer last night after closing and the car hauler came at the same time and unloaded a Brickyard Z. I told him that's a perk of the job to drive the Z, he just laughed and said sure is.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:37 AM
cujo471

Well, I think the verdict is in. You've heard most everyone say that Super Black looks the best. Yes it is hard to clean, but there is no denying that it is without a doubt the best looking color for the Z. Brickyard? Discontinued color! I think that says it all. Sunset? Looks ok but give it time and it will get old. Same with the blue. The red Z doesnt jump out at you like red should. As for silver, bland is the best word to describe it. Maybe on some other car it would be ok, but not on a Z. Yep, it is clear that super black, when it is clean with a good wax or zaino on it is the best color for a Z. However, the world would get pretty boring if all Z's were black. So I guess the other colors are ok too.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:40 AM
WashUJon

I get complimented every day with my chrome silver. Of course, I have many coats of Blackfire on the paint and most of the compliments do come at night, when the shine is more apparent.

By the way, all of your cars look terrific, guys and gals...

Last edited by WashUJon; 07-31-2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:01 AM
jleighZ

I've been told by many that they were finally glad to see a person with a sports car that wasn't silver. I have seen only one black Z and I really liked it.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:13 AM
bixby

Originally posted by cujo471
Well, I think the verdict is in. You've heard most everyone say that Super Black looks the best. Yes it is hard to clean, but there is no denying that it is without a doubt the best looking color for the Z. Brickyard? Discontinued color! I think that says it all. Sunset? Looks ok but give it time and it will get old. Same with the blue. The red Z doesnt jump out at you like red should. As for silver, bland is the best word to describe it. Maybe on some other car it would be ok, but not on a Z. Yep, it is clear that super black, when it is clean with a good wax or zaino on it is the best color for a Z. However, the world would get pretty boring if all Z's were black. So I guess the other colors are ok too.
I think you need to take a recount! Most did not say SB was best. As for the discontinuing of Brickyard, I believe Nissan will state that the color was so awesome that they would have had to discontinue all of the other colors in order to meet the demand that they decided to eliminate Brick instead.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:54 AM
lunartick13

Sunset Orange is my favorite, they are kind of rare out here in this part of the country. It seems to me that by the advertisments, that Sunset Orange is kind of the Z singnature color. Like Dodge and RED.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:22 AM
cujo471

Hey guys, just kidding around. I like all the colors. Brickyard was high on my list. It really looks good at night under the lights. I have a super black and shes a ***** to keep clean but when she is, she's beautiful.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:29 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by Buub
I'm not sure you've really seen BYR in its best element. Yeah it needs to be kept clean, but when it is, HOO BOY is it deep. It's a dark burgundy or plum-like color, but it's metallic, so it's deeeep and shiny.

Check a clean one out in some really good light and take a real close look. I think you'll agree. :-)

BTW, what do you mean "LS"?
LS is short for Lemans Sunset.

Both Brickyard owners proved my point when they said basically "you didn't see it at its best". Absolutely right. Like Black, Brickyard and LeMans Sunset look gorgeous when clean and shined but the look suffers a lot at other times. My personal choice was to go with something with less "pop" when clean but that stayed looking good longer and easier. The person who said it's a compromise was largely correct.

Andy - I based my "popularity" decision on numbers I was seeing late August, 2002 and they were saying 50% Chrome Silver, 5-10% Silverstone. Once people saw how gorgeous the Silverstone is, those numbers changed, of course!

I'd love to see the final tally once 2003 production is done.

Fun discussion!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Buub

Yeah no argument that black looks incredible when clean.

But I have owned two black cars. I said "never again" after the first one, but didn't follow my own advice. Now I mean it when I say "never again". :-)

Just way too much work so it can look good for one day and then be dirty all over again. :-)

Quick Reply: People getting compliments - What color Z?