Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 09:35 AM
soupnazi1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a "culvert"?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:49 AM
buzzdsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sewer or drain crossing under a road or embankment.

The part of a road or embankment that passes over such a sewer or drain.
The channel or conduit for such a sewer or drain.

You know the round cement thing.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:57 AM
droideka

Sounds like the dude got just what he ordered.

The department received a call minutes before the accident from a witness who observed Lapprich’s 2003 Nissan driving recklessly and at high speed on Emerson Drive, which is approximately a quarter-mile south of Willis.
If you are out-classed by a car you have no businesss pushing it beyond your limits. This would be sad if it happened on a test track/roadcourse, but it didn't. The gentleman was ****ing around on public roads and reaped what he sowed.

The throttle works both ways. If you think you're going to get into trouble you probably will. Get the car under control and BACK THE **** OUT OF THE THROTTLE.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:44 PM
BullishZ

This has NOTHING to do with the Z. An immature/inexperienced driver who is 22 years old... driving a fast car beyond HIS limits... Sorry to say, but I don't feel sorry for the guy at all. Nor do I feel sorry for drunk drivers, people who drive 100+ mph on the fwy regularly... etc.

RIP though.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:13 PM
gooters

yeah...but he was young. and young guys are often stupid...I'm still sad he died.

BTW, Droideka...NICE pics! Are you a photographer or something? Some of those greyscale pics would make a Nissan advertising exec drool! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your car cruisin around. I have a CS Perf.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:50 PM
julian

yeah, most cars' a-pillars can' stand up too much rollover forces. gotta put more high-strength steel in those bad boys. we saw a mazda 626 flip over down an embankment with the passenger side a-pillar crushed down. luckily the young girl survived.

a big PR strategy on the volvo xc90 was being able to open the doors after x number of roll-overs.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Ralphus

Originally posted by Daytona
That is sad. The guy was only 22. At least it was quick though. If I had to go out, that's probably how I would have mine-
Well I'd like to be driving fast, having sex, and eating a chick fil a sandwich.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Enron Exec

The fact that he was 22, worked for Car N Driver, and got to drive a warehouse of cars most of us will never see makes me not feel sorry for him. He was surrounded by a knowledgeable staff and im sure they made him sign documents explicitly forbidding this type of act. He probably wasnt thinking and his luck had just ran out.

Mistakes are made everyday. Its what we learn from them that makes us better ppl.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:04 PM
gooters

Good point...if he woulda had a boring job, like mine THEN I would have felt sorry for him. ;-p
Old 08-02-2003, 12:48 AM
Jason

Okay, Yeah, like you guys have NEVER done anything dumb in your car?

He was a car enthusiast like all of us. He made a mistake, like we all have. He was unlucky and now he is DEAD at 22.

This is very sad news.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:09 AM
syf0n

My favorite was the guy in this thread who said he died with a smile on his face. HAH! More than likely he died thinking, "OH SHI--"

I agree with people who say he got what he deserved. Darwin at work, I say. I can't believe C&D sponsored this trained ape, and I eagerly await any sort of info they publish about it. It will mor etha likely be cover-up ******** knowing them...I hate to rant, but C&D has always been a little skewed in the direction of whoever pays them enough.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:55 AM
DavidD

Default C&D staffer at age 22?

Why would C&D, or for that matter any car magazine, have a 22 year old journalist? Don’t you think that they should have journalist that are more mature not just in mind but also in age. These people get to drive very fast unfamiliar cars everyday and I would think that it would take a very talented and mature driver to test drive these cars and write a decent article. More like middle aged ex-racecar driver for example.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:09 AM
dtblktrack

There is a lesson to be learned here, that a 3000+ LBS machine is every bit if not more lethal than a loaded gun. Everyone should take that to heart the next time someone revs there engine at you or you line up at a traffic light to take off. What I cannot believe are the people who are saying that he deserved what he got. In some people who said that I sense a bit of jealousy in your comments, and others I guess a morbid since of justice. I can almost assure that each and everyone of you guys and girls have driven your car like he was driving, but luck have it that you are still here with us all. No one deserves to die, well maybe Bin Laden, so lets all think twice before your right foot takes control of your better senses.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:23 AM
buzzdsm

Default Re: C&D staffer at age 22?

Originally posted by DavidD
Why would C&D, or for that matter any car magazine, have a 22 year old journalist? Don’t you think that they should have journalist that are more mature not just in mind but also in age. These people get to drive very fast unfamiliar cars everyday and I would think that it would take a very talented and mature driver to test drive these cars and write a decent article. More like middle aged ex-racecar driver for example.
He wasn't a journalist.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:48 AM
Enron Exec

He was probably hired because C&D needed a wide age group to report on what they or that generation thought of certain cars.

Everyone has their right to either feel sorry or not for this young man. Im 25 and have done some wild things in my life time, but I was ALWAYS ready to suffer the consequences of my actions. I very doubtfully think this young man was ready to suffer his.

Ignorance can only be an excuse for so much... this young man working for C&D and so therefore should have known much better the rest of the world when behind the wheel of such a car. He died because he made poor choices. We are lucky in that he didnt take someone else's life too.

If some of you must mourn for a complete stranger, I would suggest you go cry for someone more respectful, like the servicemen who have payed the ultimate price for our freedoms, not for someone with a quick temper and a heavy foot.

Last edited by Enron Exec; 08-02-2003 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Jason

What the hell? You guys don't even know the full story, and you're already saying he deserved to die?

You're a bunch of ()*&#$ savages
Old 08-02-2003, 01:47 PM
droideka

I do hope that some of you drive better than you follow a story. The young man was an ASSISTANT at C&D. That doesn't mean a journalist or seasoned test driver. For all we know he could have made copies, answered the phone or fetched coffee.

If I remember correctly, the long-term tester was a 6MT Daytona Blue Touring. I'm sure that everyone in the office got a chance to take the Z home for the evening and it was this guy's turn. I'm also fairly sure that the next morning the VDC was turned off as Michael made his way into work. He was outclassed by the car, as I've said before, and exceeded his limits as a driver. It's pretty straight forward as evidenced by the EYE WITNESS ACCOUNT and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

If more people would go to one HPDE, just one ****ing event, wrecks like these could be avoided, or have drastically less dire consequences. Instead, most people choose to focus on really important things like offsets and body kits.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:58 PM
travs_z

Unhappy

I cannot believe what I am hearing here!!! This guy obviously screwed up, but he did not deserve to die. He deserved a speeding ticket perhaps, but not this....

He had a cool job, and his entire future was ahead of him. One bad decision and it's all over. Let's hope that somebody will see this story and it will make them reconsider racing around on public roads.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:03 PM
buzzdsm

Originally posted by droideka
If more people would go to one HPDE, just one ****ing event, wrecks like these could be avoided, or have drastically less dire consequences. Instead, most people choose to focus on really important things like offsets and body kits.

I'm assuming you don't know the guy which means you don't know his skill level. Even the best push it too hard and make mistakes. No, he shouldn't have been doing it on the streets but who hasn't.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:34 PM
droideka

Originally posted by buzzdsm
I'm assuming you don't know the guy which means you don't know his skill level. Even the best push it too hard and make mistakes. No, he shouldn't have been doing it on the streets but who hasn't.
That's a ******** excuse. There is such a thing as ramping up your threshhold as you learn a car. When the best make mistakes, they lose races.

I've curbed wheels on previous cars because of being stupid and not knowing where the car would let go. I'm not blameless in the least bit.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver assistant dies in 350Z