Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Car Club Ordeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 08:09 PM
DLin05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Club Ordeal

Id just like start out and say that I live in Alabama, just something to keep in mind. So I've been good friends with the owner (and best friends with his son) of a pretty respected car stereo store here in Auburn Al. He has plenty good connections and is a very nice man. Lately he asked me if I wanted to start up a car club for him and his store. Of course I want to, but truth in the matter is that Im 16 and have much to learn. My problem is that if I help him start the club I will most likely be running everything within the club for him. Now, my problems lies in the fact that I am quite inexperienced in running a club. So before I reply to him I'd like to find out more on what I should do. What type of rules would there be, what should I do with new members and other such things. How can I make a reasonable agreement on the things needed to be done with the owner? I do not want any car to be able to join because quite frankly I dont like alot of the RICEY(excuse me for using this word) cars here with nothing but stickers EX: I saw a 240sx today with Type S and Vtec stickers everywhere. I would like to be part of a I guess you could say an elite group if you understand what I mean. What I am saying here is, does anyone here have any suggestions for me to help start and run this club properly? Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2003, 08:22 PM
FlyingToaster

Depending on the type of car club you want to get involved in, it can get demanding. There are various tax and legal issues, not overly complex, nevertheless, need experience.

Why don't you become a member of an exiting car club, BMW CCA one of the best run in the country, take some responsibilities, go to board meetings (its open to all members) and pick up some of the behind the scenes stuff.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:56 PM
DLin05

Thanks I might look into that, meanwhile lets say the owner of the shop will take care of the taxes and legal issues. Should there be something along the lines of a monthly membership fee or anything like that? Maybe I can set requirements of who can request to join...any other thoughts?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:21 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DLin05
Thanks I might look into that, meanwhile lets say the owner of the shop will take care of the taxes and legal issues. Should there be something along the lines of a monthly membership fee or anything like that? Maybe I can set requirements of who can request to join...any other thoughts?
If you want to do events, meetings, and cruises with giveaways, it's best to have financial backing. Membership fee is one way. To make it legit and for the members to feel that they belong to a serious club, you will also need to have bylaws and parliamentary procedures in membership selection, officers nomination/election, treasury reports, etc.

You can get an idea of this by joining the BMW club or look at one of your local ZCCA organization. If not, you can also check the Z Club of Texas or California. These are 2 of the largest and most active clubs that I know of in the states. They have websites with their bylaws and policies on there. Check it out.

Hope that helps some.