Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need Advice: Z in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Spoiled Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: Z in the shop

On August 7th is when I dropped off my car to have the bodykit installed. They said it should be done by the 12th, they were closed sat,sun and monday. I came by tuesday he said oh he is still working on it. I went on vacation from August 14th - 29th. I stopped by the 29th and he said it should be ready tomorrow the 30th. I called him all afternoon the 30th no answer. The last time I saw him was friday and all this time his shop has been closed. I talked to a cop and he said they can't do much since its not a criminal matter, that he has not stolen your car. I called the non emergerncy police number they told me to keep calling and try to get a hold of him and try to call the state attorneys office. The owner has now turned off his cell phone. How much more do I have to wait? I already paid him half. He always has excuses but I hope he opens his shop tomorrow. I want my car and I want my money back. I have an appointment with a lawyer on monday and most likely Im going to take him to small claims court. But how can I get my car out of his shop? Aside from breaking in. What do I do?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
blue20051

When you stop by on the 29th, has the car been worked on? Or does it look like stock?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
g3d

Uh, I'm a newbie here, but a quick Google search shows that you can contact a local auto-repossessor, e.g. http://www.411law.com/index/listings/page3612.htm
Old 09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

You need to go by there and recover your body kit and car. Raise focking hell in there. It should not take this long to get a body kit installed, even if they had to paint it. I'd take the gloves off and stop being Mr. Nice guy.

Good luck on recovering your money though. I'd put a brick through his front window a month later if he doesn't return your money. You won't get your money back, but you'll feel a hell of a lot better...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Spoiled Z

Originally Posted by blue20051
When you stop by on the 29th, has the car been worked on? Or does it look like stock?
He kept saying he has too do a lot work on the rear. But honestly if he worked on the rear for 1 day it should have been done.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Spoiled Z

Originally Posted by g3d
Uh, I'm a newbie here, but a quick Google search shows that you can contact a local auto-repossessor, e.g. http://www.411law.com/index/listings/page3612.htm
Will his apply to me? My car is not stolen. Are these people going to break in the garage? Because that is the only way they can get to my car.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Spoiled Z

Originally Posted by vo7848
You need to go by there and recover your body kit and car. Raise focking hell in there. It should not take this long to get a body kit installed, even if they had to paint it. I'd take the gloves off and stop being Mr. Nice guy.

Good luck on recovering your money though. I'd put a brick through his front window a month later if he doesn't return your money. You won't get your money back, but you'll feel a hell of a lot better...
How am I going to get the car though the shop is closed. Oh trust me I feel like breaking in there myself but my friends said not to cuz I could go to jail. I'm going to take him to small claims court to get my money. Even if he says he tried or that I didnt give him enough time. But 3 weeks is plenty enough. Plus no phone calls what so ever. Oh I better get my money back.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
g3d

Originally Posted by Spoiled Z
Will his apply to me? My car is not stolen.

I'd think so - these are they guys who do repos for Banks, etc. and those cars are not stolen in the conventional sense.

Originally Posted by Spoiled Z
Are these people going to break in the garage? Because that is the only way they can get to my car.
Yes.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 PM
blue20051

Three weeks is plenty of time(unless he was busy). I got my lip kit painted and installed in eight days.

Im pretty sure you are going to get your car back and will probally have to go to another shop. Which means your going to have to wait longer to get that kit put on . By the way, what kind of kit did you get?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Three weeks is plenty of time(unless he was busy). I got my lip kit painted and installed in eight days.
My Amuse kit, Mastergrade hatch and lexan was all painted and installed in 7 business days... You should go cause a big scene and get your stuff back
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Spoiled Z

Im pretty sure you are going to get your car back and will probally have to go to another shop. Which means your going to have to wait longer to get that kit put on . By the way, what kind of kit did you get?
Most of the time he doesn't open his shop. I was going to get the vertex style put on but I already have the nismo lip 06+, sideskirts and winglets waiting to be painted. Im going to sell the vertex instead. Carsmetic is going to paint the nismo stuff but they said they need my car to color match. Im going to install the nismo stuff myself. By the way I dropped off my car aug 7th because he told me that now is the best time to drop it off cuz they're not busy at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Spoiled Z

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
My Amuse kit, Mastergrade hatch and lexan was all painted and installed in 7 business days... You should go cause a big scene and get your stuff back
I'm just waiting for him to open his shop once I see him its ON! I better get my money that day or else one way or the other someone will die that day.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:51 AM
350licious

Make sure to check the odometer...
Old 09-05-2008, 06:08 AM
350z-Jason

If you don't can't get ahold of him today, break in tonight. I'm a legal studies major... in law there are clauses that site justification and excuses. Any police officer would easily be able to understand the situation. Bring your insurance card (so he realizes its actually your car and you're not stealing it if you are caught). Do not be dumb either (ie- do not have a friend on the look out).
Old 09-05-2008, 06:30 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z-Jason
If you don't can't get ahold of him today, break in tonight. I'm a legal studies major... in law there are clauses that site justification and excuses. Any police officer would easily be able to understand the situation.
Really??? If so, thats pretty good to know
Might just be sufficient to go down there calmly and bring a cop as a mediator of sorts. Many cops I know would tend to be more "objective" and just lock up anybody who is breaking into someone else's building, regardless of excuse, letting the courts sort out the rest.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 AM
350z-Jason

Im not saying all cops will be like this: cop- "hey man why do you have a crowbar in your hand" you- "im breaking into this shop to steal my car back since the owner hasn't answered my calls or even opened his shop" cop- "ok goodluck getting in there and have a goodnight". However, if caught, depending on how much of a dick the cop is- he will take you downtown. If I was you though, i'd be sly and steal my car out of there. Trust me, if the shop owner is really as shady as it sounds it could honestly take weeks/months to go through the court to get your car back. Time to take matters into your own hands dude. Good Luck, I was frustrated for you when I read your posts.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
DracoLancet04Z

In Texas you can break into a building to retrieve borrowed personal property as long as you dont take or damage anything else, dunno bout Florida though, the lawyer would know though.

GL bro, and if you do get the car back but not the money, assuming he hasnt already made your car disappear, put a brick through a window or 2 for all of us on the forums.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

# 1 its against the law to pop in and just take your car off or out of the guys lot while closed less there's consent from him and or a full payment has been made. He can actually press charges on that.

# 2 you never pay for 1/2 of a work job unless it's a deposit for an ordered part that is nonreturnable.

When he eventually opens you walk in and take a good damn look at your car. You look for anything out of the ordinary, like things missing, scratches dents w/e doesn't look right to you. Then you inspect the body kit as well in case he has damaged it and is trying to repair it hence taking so damn long. If all is well, and no work has been done kindly demand your money back for what you've paid him with the reason of you've got no time to wait like this, and you will be taking the car to another shop. Make sure you get all your car/parts/money back and just leave in a normal fashion. Simple and easy that way no one gets heated and he becomes a dick hindering you from getting anything quickly and easily.

For a future reference next time state a day or time you will need the work done by, and commandingly ask them if they are or are not capable of handling the work within those limits. If they can then you can hold it against them in the end. If they cannot then find a diff place who can handle what you need done.

As a shop owner i always ask the customer when they need the car back so i know how much time i have to get what i need to finish the job.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Spoiled Z

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
# 1 its against the law to pop in and just take your car off or out of the guys lot while closed less there's consent from him and or a full payment has been made. He can actually press charges on that.

# 2 you never pay for 1/2 of a work job unless it's a deposit for an ordered part that is nonreturnable.

When he eventually opens you walk in and take a good damn look at your car. You look for anything out of the ordinary, like things missing, scratches dents w/e doesn't look right to you. Then you inspect the body kit as well in case he has damaged it and is trying to repair it hence taking so damn long. If all is well, and no work has been done kindly demand your money back for what you've paid him with the reason of you've got no time to wait like this, and you will be taking the car to another shop. Make sure you get all your car/parts/money back and just leave in a normal fashion. Simple and easy that way no one gets heated and he becomes a dick hindering you from getting anything quickly and easily.

For a future reference next time state a day or time you will need the work done by, and commandingly ask them if they are or are not capable of handling the work within those limits. If they can then you can hold it against them in the end. If they cannot then find a diff place who can handle what you need done.

As a shop owner i always ask the customer when they need the car back so i know how much time i have to get what i need to finish the job.
The kit in not yet installed or painted. I dont know what he is doing with it. Im pissed at myself for giving him $650 I thought he was trustworthy. He did work on the bodykit but I have to say that from the look of it it was only worth one day work. Oh he knows when I needed the car back. When I dropped it august 7th I said I need it before the 14th because I'm going on vacation. He said ok I'll have it by the 12th but how can he get it ready by the 12th if he was closed sat, sun and monday.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what kind of crappy body shop did you bring it to? Hope you get your back. That's a bad situation.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Z in the shop