Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are you a more aggressive driver since you got your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:02 PM
vice86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you a more aggressive driver since you got your Z?

Before the Z I had an automatic Grand Prix GTP...pretty quick car but big...now since I got my M6 Z I've noticed I've been driving a little faster then I usually do...taking turns quicker and changing lanes faster on the highways..almost race like...over taking cars if they dont move out of the speed lane. I can't help it! It's not to the point of being reckless or anything but my driving habbits are more aggressive since I got the Z. I just like shifting thru the gears like I'm in a road rally or something.

Anyone else?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:31 PM
OUCH
Banned

Take it to the track... And remember there's a difference between Driving a Fast Car and Driving a Car Fast... The latter needs skills, hope you know what you're doing when you cut in and out of those lanes...
Old 08-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Zookroo1

I had a loaner Expedition once. I was quite content to cruise a bit slower and was not in a hurry. Get back in a sporty car and it changes a bit. You don't want to sit in one lane and take 22 seconds to get up to 45mph behind a Park Avenue or something.

Also, play a racing video game and then get in the car. You have to remind yourself you're back in real life, but it would be fun to drive that crazy!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:51 PM
vice86

Take it to the track... And remember there's a difference between Driving a Fast Car and Driving a Car Fast... The latter needs skills, hope you know what you're doing when you cut in and out of those lanes...
yeah, my description of my driving may sound a little "reckless" but it's not...there only little bursts where I step on it in no car traffic and a simple quick lane change if the guy in front of me doesn't get the idea of MOVING OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!!! I hate that.

There's one PERFECT turn coming home on the high way...S turn where you cut on the insides of the turn...i feel like I'm in a video game when I cut thru the S turn like that.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:05 PM
z4ken

Hey Vice 86, I feel ya, and know what you mean. In the Z you just tend to gradually be a little more aggressive. I myself find it hard to keep it at the speed limit. This is part of the fun of owning the vehicle, if I wanted something practicle I would of bought a John Deere lawnmower
Old 08-07-2003, 01:09 PM
vice86

lol...glad you know what I mean. I can't help it if I love to drive my Z!!!!

Reading that one "are you a big guy" thread makes me want to lose the damn weight so I fit more snugly in the seats.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Montez

I drive the same as I always has which has been quick takeoffs to get to speed but no uneccessary swooping. Heck I can make a stock Corrolla feel fast.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:52 PM
SteveZzz

I'm the same way. My other car is a GMC Envoy SUV. When I drive the Z, I find myself looking for the curvy back roads instead of the straight main roads. Nothing is better than tight turns in a Z.

I also find myself looking out of the corner of my eye to see who's looking at me and my great car.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:52 PM
drew703

Default well...

I do obviously drive faster when I can, or if I see a huge curve up ahead, I'm not gonna necesarily slow down..hehe I am paying for a $31,000 sports car, I would like to get what I paid for.

But on the other hand though, what I've noticed about myself and the way I drive since I've got the Z, is that I drive more carefully and cautiously. I know that's gona sound a little hypocritical, considering the above paragraph, but it's the truth. Sure, if I'm on the highway or open road I'll open my Z up a little. But thats only some of the time. I'd say about 90% of the time I'm driving, im now SUPER-ATTENTIVE to the road and other drivers now. Not that I didnt care about my past car, it's just that it wasnt nearly up the level that I care about my Z. So if anything, I'd have to say no, the Z has OVERALL made me a more careful driver.

anyone else had this kinda experience, or at least to an extent?

-drew

'03 DB Performance
Old 08-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Jumpman--Z

I definitely drive more agressively since I've got my Z. Whenever I'm at the red light, and there are no cars in front of me, I like to see how fast I can react to the green light. When I do it perfectly, I notice that I leave all of the other cars behind. It's pretty fun to do that, but I have to make sure no one's running the red light.

I would also have to say that I'm a lot more cautious when driving now. I never try to do anything when I'm driving like talking on the phone, writing stuff, or any crap like that that can get you killed. For some reason, I have never forgotten to put on my seatbelt when I'm driving. Any other car, and I'll almost always forget.

Last edited by Jumpman--Z; 08-07-2003 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Zyasooner

You definitely tend to pick your spots when driving a Z. I had a Volvo 850 and sped all around town with a little too much lane changing. Never got tickets however. With the Z I tend to enjoy the car's prrrr even at posted speed limits. I think I drive safer and am more careful but when I see an open straightaway or nice curve I go for it. Also regarding the stereo, its off more than on, I like the sound of the Z better.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 PM
vice86

true that about driving safe and aggressive at the same time....there's the times I just want to drive aggressively..take the turns and all that....while all the rest of the time I'm super carefull to watch out for huge potholes...not follow close behind trucks kicking up crap and stuff like that.

I also find myself looking out of the corner of my eye to see who's looking at me and my great car.
HAHAHAHA...I'm exactly the same way Steve...I love to see if people are checking my Z out as I drive by...i can't help it that I'm a showoff and LOVE the attention!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:59 AM
Shortbus

I drive a little faster since i got my Z, but I don't find myself as reckless towards the herd around me on the roads as when I was still driving my yellow Frontier SC
Old 08-08-2003, 04:20 AM
BigBadBuford

I think I have become a much safer driver since I got the Z. I am worried about getting a ding, scratch, or chip on my car so whenever I switch lanes I always look 3 or 4 times and I always give myself a lot of room in front of my car so people don't kick up debris. I also tend to drive the speed limit most of the time because the Z attracts a lot of unwanted attention from the cops. My g/f even tells me that I drive too slow and too far behind other people but I have very few rock chips and no tickets so I guess it is paying off. I will push the car on an empty on-ramp or down a back road that I know is safe, but I save most of my fun for the track.
Its weird, but the lousier and slower the car that I drive the faster I go. I was driving my sister's Corolla for a few months when she was in Australia and I drove that like a maniac, 100+ a lot of the time, flying down back roads, etc. That car was pretty much invisible to law enforcement (except for that one time.. lol) so it made it easy to push it. I am the same way with my '85 Honda. I think these cars are a lot safer to push to their limits on public roads though since you can usually do it without breaking any speed limits.

Last edited by BigBadBuford; 08-08-2003 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:04 AM
328skidpad

Default much more

I used to have a bmw 3 series and would drive mildly aggressive, but with the z I dont feel like I have a tail (rear end weight) and thus feel fully integrated with the car.
The only down side is the fact that the z "spoils" me because my other vehicle is a honda oddssey which is pretty fast but handling definitely lacks thus I think I can take turns as if I am in the z, then the wife always interrupts....
bmw defector
Old 08-08-2003, 05:16 AM
328skidpad

Default much more

I used to have a bmw 3 series and would drive mildly aggressive, but with the z I dont feel like I have a tail (rear end weight) and thus feel fully integrated with the car.
The only down side is the fact that the z "spoils" me because my other vehicle is a honda oddssey which is pretty fast but handling definitely lacks thus I think I can take turns as if I am in the z, then the wife always interrupts....
bmw defector
Old 08-08-2003, 06:54 AM
MASTERPLAU

I only get to drive the Z on the weekends and maybe a few times at night during the week. On the highway, at some point i must reach a minimum of 100... For the roads, its just as quick as i can get to 10 or 15 mph above the speed limit... theres just too many cops in New York to be driving like a maniac all the time... but all thats has changed as i picked up my radar detector on monday.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:40 AM
ZRated03

I'm w/ Ouch, be careful when tryin to put your Z thru your paces. A course in Road Racing/GT Class racing would be recommended before you start crashing up your Z's cause you just saw Fast and the Furious and now think your a pro. I don't wanna rain on everyone's parade, I'm sure most of you can drive well, but theres always kids out there who get a 'Fast Car' and then try to 'Drive It Fast' and for afew days its fine, untill one day they get too deep into a corner and end up 20' into the woods or off into a pole. Just take care and keep the majority of your cannonball runs on the track.

- Joe
Old 08-08-2003, 09:42 AM
ZRated03

Moral Of The Story: Nobody wants to see a totaled Z car and/or an injured driver(s). Peace

- Joe
Old 08-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Zyasooner

I just posted to this thread yesterday about picking your spots. Then today, suddenly and without warning, I found myself getting on a toll road with wide open space in front of me and the need to step on it in order to change lanes in order to avoid the toll tag booths and go through the toll tag lanes. As I achieved this maneuver (and for those who like to preach and give driving lessons - it was very safe and not reckless) I looked down and low and behold - 106mph! I immediately back off but what a charge. One of the many joys of owning a Z. The power when you need (or want) it.

Lemans Sunset
Touring 6MT

Quick Reply: Are you a more aggressive driver since you got your Z?