Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New daily driver - 07 350z vs. 04 c5 z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 AM
dryseals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk03G35
Owning a C4 totally explains it since they are garbage on wheels.
Actually the C4 was a mechanically sound car and at the time they came out, they had a lot of technology not being used by other cars and laid the platform for what we have rolling today. To say it was garbage on wheels shows a profound lack of understanding for the auto industry and the development of the inovations we have today.

The biggest problem the C4 had was it brought in the tuned port injection, all electronic controls. Most folks had no understanding of an ECM and fuel injection, nor did most of the shops. Remember if your old enough, 1985 was the introduction of tuned port. The IBM PC's didn't hit the market until 1983 and the consumer market for PC's didn't take off until the later 80's, windows didn't come out until 1995, that's ten years after the introduction of the tuned port.

The lack of understanding of computer controlled vehicles gave the early C4's a bad name. This lack of understanding also made the old Rochester Quadrajet carb and HEI distributor very sought after. In the 90's people pulled the FI out of their car to put in carbs because they did not understand FI.

I do control systems for a living, so the ECM was a play toy. Once the system was hacked and we could burn new eproms for the mods we made, the car came alive.

I sold the car earlier this year, I had all the prior repair records, single owner car when I bought it. They had no mechanical problems. In ten years of ownership, I had to swap the altenator, the radiator, a headlight gear, the LCD display, fuel injectors and put new in valve seals. Not bad for a 23 year old car with 100K+ miles.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
JCSVT

The C4 is still kickin' *** in Auto-X too.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
You mean mid to low 13 sec cars for the HR. Even though some haven't gotten that, it can be done.
well if you're going to nitpick, i've seen 11.7s done on Z06 with sub 1.9 60fts on stock tires..

Sorry but 405hp (conservative rating) owns 306 (slightly conservative). Z06 is around 200lbs lighter, and considerably more powerful...

two different cars, in different classes, in different price ranges..

apples and oranges.

I love my 350z, love my HR motor, but know my place. Z06 > 350
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
SnakeBitten

Id go C5 Z06 all day over the 350z HR if performance was the only criteria stock to stock. But if you throw looks in and out, ergonomics and most important WARRANTY in the mix the choice becomes much harder. Interior isnt a big deal with me but having been in both I think the 350Z's interior is a much nicer place to be with better materials and shapes if you care about that stuff.

Now for 3k more you could step up to the C6 used around 30k as someone mentioned. Id take the C6 over the HR any day as it will come with a WARRANTY.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:16 AM
ipodhustle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turblu
My motivation for this desicion-

Scroll a little to the right for pics of probably the nicest c5 Ive ever seen-

more information on that corvette please
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent choice!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Donsred350Z

Man I really like the honest views even though this is a 350Z site the truth be told is the Vette is Old techniology at its best. The Vette has classic Corvette looks and that model is one of my favorites and performance from the old push rod engine rivals some the best performance cars in the world. I like my 350Z but I bow to the C6 Vette just like most Lambos and Porsches do when it comes to raw power and overall straight line speed. The Vette is a cheap SUPER CAR!!! The Z is a cheap Sports car, compared to a Porcshe Cayman.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM
rockinbboy

Z..

..Z06..that is.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
xrcrx

Originally Posted by dryseals
Actually the C4 was a mechanically sound car and at the time they came out, they had a lot of technology not being used by other cars and laid the platform for what we have rolling today. To say it was garbage on wheels shows a profound lack of understanding for the auto industry and the development of the inovations we have today.

The biggest problem the C4 had was it brought in the tuned port injection, all electronic controls. Most folks had no understanding of an ECM and fuel injection, nor did most of the shops. Remember if your old enough, 1985 was the introduction of tuned port. The IBM PC's didn't hit the market until 1983 and the consumer market for PC's didn't take off until the later 80's, windows didn't come out until 1995, that's ten years after the introduction of the tuned port.

The lack of understanding of computer controlled vehicles gave the early C4's a bad name. This lack of understanding also made the old Rochester Quadrajet carb and HEI distributor very sought after. In the 90's people pulled the FI out of their car to put in carbs because they did not understand FI.

I do control systems for a living, so the ECM was a play toy. Once the system was hacked and we could burn new eproms for the mods we made, the car came alive.

I sold the car earlier this year, I had all the prior repair records, single owner car when I bought it. They had no mechanical problems. In ten years of ownership, I had to swap the altenator, the radiator, a headlight gear, the LCD display, fuel injectors and put new in valve seals. Not bad for a 23 year old car with 100K+ miles.
I've got an 84 that has an 03 touring beside it in the garage now. love my 84. Dead reliable, but not as refined as the z, it is lighter, quicker, faster ,and better handling. It also creaks and rattles, its a 25yr old car. The pic of the c5 launch with the wheels coming up:I was there - Corvette Nats in Richmond Va., I drove my c4 from Houston, raced it, drove all over the east coast for a week and drove home. made the semis, a magazine and some money. had lotsa fun. Comparing the z to the vette isn't really a balanced comparison imo. Both have their points and ultimately it is a question of what u like. Given even drivers in stock vehicles a vette will take a z in a straight line or in the twisties. that said, the overall driving experience and living with a z day to day has a lot going for it. Not to mention the z is no slacker! i really like mine!

Name:  0_IMAGE_055races.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  25.9 KB
Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 AM
nismonian

this can go on for decades and it probably has beacuase all this is opinion based, overall
all american cars suck period but besides the point i think corvettes are somewhat kinda nice but i wouldnt buy one anyways, its just like all american so called sports/muscle cars a big *** v8 and some flowmasters.if you want something to drag race yea id probably buy a vette but if i wanna actually drive the car anywhere from auto x,drifting,drag and evereything in between i think a non american car will be my choice same for a lot other people so in this case i think 350z is the winner.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 AM
WARAT

this thread is asking for a lockdown
Old 01-17-2009, 09:09 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by nismonian
if you want something to drag race yea id probably buy a vette
I cut the rest of the BS you typed...

You realize the c5Z06 rates higher than the 350Z in every performance category? It's amazing there are morons out there who continue to believe otherwise...
Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 AM
FLY BY Z

lol. what a funny thread. I owned an 03 Z. I own an 01 Z06 (slightly modded). I am going to pick up an 08 auto enthusiast as a DD next month.

To call out the Z06 for interior materials is only expressing your feminine side. The only reason the car has an interior is to make it street legal, IMO. It would look funny without one.

To disparage a car is only showing your out of control ego to all of us. They are both great cars, neither are the best, and you can make a worse decision by not going with either of them.

Try to enjoy life instead of resist it.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
vthao

ZO6. I've driven one of these things a while back...let's just say I still remember it.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
youngh

Originally Posted by turblu
Look and brand name and type of vehicle gets the women Charles Field. Im sorry but the Corvette has the 350z owned even as a base model c5 or c6 any day. All you have to say at the club/bar is oh hi I drive a vette and panties wet. But you say I drive a 350z they say oh, that nissan thingy....
i dont know, when i told girls i drove a 350z their panties got wet and begged me to see the car.

id pick the 350z over the vette for looks any day. im not hating on the vette, its still a nice car and looks really nice, but id still take the Z. whether it loses performance wise or not.

probably cause a 350z and s2000 were my dream cars
Old 02-26-2009, 11:27 AM
theKoosh

did the OP make a decision on this yet? i'm kinda in the same boat... am debating between keeping my 07 ZX-6R + getting a 350z, or dumping the bike and just getting a used C6... i can get a 35HR Z for $18-19k, but a C6 vette targa for only about $27k...
Old 02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
TheFarmer

Another vote for the Z06.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM
sovietsanta

Old and dead but still a hilarious example .

A BASE C5 best the 350z hr in every performance category . Including handling & fuel consumption . / why compare to a c5z06 when it cant even best the base c5 in performance ?

The only thing you could say about the 350z that is better is the interior / looks .

Looks are subjective and even if the 350z's interior is better than the vetts its still not that nice compared to other cars .

350z is a cool car but the z car and vett rivalry ended when the c5 was introduced / since then the only thing the z has that is comparable to the base vett is the price tag and a better interior .

350 DE 287 hp vs c5 base 350 hp
350hr 306 hp vs c6 base 430 hp

Last edited by sovietsanta; 02-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

350Z all the way. The Z is so much nicer than any c5 corvette. A c5 corvette will be a downgrade from the Z IMO
Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
sovietsanta

Originally Posted by Esser
350Z all the way. The Z is so much nicer than any c5 corvette. A c5 corvette will be a downgrade from the Z IMO
Yes it will be a downgrade from the better interior .

I think the 350z looks more modern but looks are subjective.

Quick Reply: New daily driver - 07 350z vs. 04 c5 z06