Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What to do when a salesman Lies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:20 AM
iceman58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duflacci, that is a very bold statement. Why would you buy your car from a liar? You just showed thid board how ignorant you really are......
Old 08-16-2003, 04:46 AM
HokieZ

I can't wholly disagree with that statement. I have one person who currently works for me who sold cars (Honda's) for a few years and another friend who sells them (Range/Land Rovers) now. Both of them have told me their primary mission is to get the person in the car, and write down as little as possible for deniability. This isn't just their nature, it was required by their GM.

I too liked my salesman (Thanks SteveZzz who pointed me to him) and love my car, but for not one second was I under the illusion that he was out to help me (although he tried like hell to portray that. Each person looks out for their own interests and hopefully the dealer makes money, and the customer feels like they didn't get screwed.

My $0.02,

HokieZ
Redline Performance 350Z
Old 08-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Hencho

Default All car salesmen are liars

Im not going to quote the last 2 posts - But just because you are happy with youre purchase doesnt mean that you didnt get lied to - All car salesmen are liars, and yes - The Gms and FMs are the experts - how do you think they got that high up the food chain.

youll look for a very long time before you find one that is truly honest, if they even exist

Some salesmen and Mgrs are just better at it than others, or just make you feel better about getting lied to - There in business to sell cars, and make money - not friends .

As for the dealer that lied to you here - When you bought youre car, did you get a survey in the mail ? That survey actually does count for a lot ! The survey goes back and counts towards the CSI or CSR of the dealer - the customer service . . something ( cant remember what the last one stands for ) Try putting all 1s down - It will severely drop their rating and hurt the dealer, and let them know that you are going to do so.

You should also recieve a csi/r survey for the service department - let them know that you will be giving a bad survey
Old 08-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Duflacci

Originally posted by superman78
This is a pretty educated statement! Anybody else smell the ignorance here?
I was actually quite happy with my dealership experience and my salesperson....wow!
No I dont smell it.....but you are rude.....I gave my opinion.....and I guess you gave yours
Old 08-16-2003, 06:23 PM
superman78

There in business to sell cars, and make money
That might be why it is called CAR SALES. That profit that you paid is what was used to engineer and develop that pretty little Z that you drive.
I guess you are right though. I should retract my last statement and apologize to everyone for being rude. For a business to make profit is just unthinkable and plain dispicable! They don't deserve it! You got me thinking...no business should make profit...I am going to bring back every CD I have ever bought, after all it cost about $.10 to produce, I paid almost $14.88 in PROFIT!!! Thanks for enlightening me on the subject.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Hencho

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There in business to sell cars, and make money
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lying to you doesnt really have anything to do about money in the big picture - As long as they make the sale, they dont really care how much the car is. You think a dealer makes money on the "holdback" ? they do, but that doesnt pay to operate the place. The profit is in How many Units they sell per month, Back end financing, warranty sales, and parts and service.

Take for instance if a dealer sells 10 units ( cars) a month, the company ( nissan . . ford . . etc ) will give that dealer a certain "spif" on them - meaning the more units they push per month the better dealer incentives and the more units they can get allocated to them next month.

A dealer that sells 200+ units a month will get more of the rare cars, and rare colors allocated to them - they will also get bonuses for remodeling and improvements to the dealership.

Unless a certain car is selling for $1500 over msrp the price they sell it at doesn't matter--- They will always Make it up in the end.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 AM
Project350Z

I know one company that doesn't lie, HONDA, why should they lie when all the people know their cars suck *** anyway
Old 08-17-2003, 02:58 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

now thats an ignorant post
Old 08-17-2003, 08:58 PM
eskimo

You know you're saying:

Originally posted by Project350Z
I know one company that doesn't lie, HONDA, why should they lie when all the people know their cars suck *** anyway
but all I hear, is "Blah blah blah, I don't have a Z so I'll talk sh*t about cars I can't afford on my own until my daddie buys me a Z."
Old 08-17-2003, 09:27 PM
syf0n

Did it rain here recently? There seems to be an awful lot of ignorance sprouting up in these parts.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:37 PM
RJW0501

Call the General Manager of the dealership. Tell him what was said. I guarentee he will make it right. I have a little background on this, I am the GSM of a huge Toyota dealership in Md. As with lowering or getting out of the lease....not a shot....call the G.M....Let me know what happens
Old 08-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Enron Exec

I cant believe what i am reading here. Its so far fetched Im not even going to make any quotes. Its just that aweful.

One thing i do want to make clear is, the profits made by a dealership will in no way go towards the manufacture. Honda, Nissan, Toyota or whoever made their money already selling a fleet of vehicles to the dealerships. From that point on the dealer can sell them at whatever price they think is best for themselves. The key word is "themselves".

Ive ran into a few nice sales ppl, but the fleet managers and the GM are in general the big sharks everyone should watch out for.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Hencho

Thanks for clearing that up - Who said any of the profits go back to the manufacturer ?

Whats so far fetched ? That the dealer (or salesman) would lie to make a sale, or the money making part that i posted ? ( which was just a tad of background i threw in to show why a salesman might lie to make the sale )

Im not saying there all liars, i mean thats just not possible for every word out of their mouth to be a lie. . . but More often than not unless you are super carefull and get everything written out in huge bold letters youll get taken for a ride . . and i dont mean a test ride.

Its just the nature of the beast. I got lied to, but on a 30k car i dont care too much about the $$$ i know i got taken for, im just happy to be getting my Z soon.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:14 PM
time4aspliff

This a pretty depressing thread...

It reminds me of how my best friend (a hard-working, honest dude) got screwed by the fleet manager at Cerritos Nissan in Southern California. The verbal agreement was made no less than four times. The FM repeatedly assured my buddy that he would not pay a penny over MSRP. Well, they didn't have the model/color he wanted so my friend indicated what he wanted and left a refundable $500 deposit to prove that he was serious. Later that night, we met at a sports bar to celebrate the good news.

To make a long story short, in the end, when he took delivery, they discreetly added more than 5 grand to the MSRP. In his excitement, he didn't notice the gouge until later in the evening. When he confronted the Fleet Manager about the mark-up, the FM acted as if he never repeatedly promised the car @ MSRP. He actually said something to the effect of: "I don't remember saying anything like that. You need to get out there and drive your new car. What are you doing in this stuffy office? The girls are out there waiting for you..." I mean what kind of ******** is that. Did he actually think that quickly changing the subject would appease my betrayed friend?

He eventually brought the complaint to the Customer Service Manager but all he got was lip service and smiles with zero results. By this time, he also realized that the FM was transferred to another dealership. (I suppose he was starting to feel the heat.) What a slime ball!!

In closing, my good friend learned a valuable and expensive life lesson. For all potential buyers: please protect your hard-earned wages. Get everything in writing, bring a witness, and (this may be extreme) invest in a pocket digital memo recorder to document all verbal agreements. Remember, in the professional business world, a verbal contract is binding.

Please be careful and AVOID CERRITOS NISSAN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!! They are CROOKS!!!!!!!!!

Good luck everybody!!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:07 PM
OUCH
Banned

I wonder how dealers would feel if I bring a Recorder with me and show it to them that I am recording everything, do you honestly think I'd get a better deal?
Old 08-18-2003, 04:46 PM
eskimo

Originally posted by OUCH
I wonder how dealers would feel if I bring a Recorder with me and show it to them that I am recording everything, do you honestly think I'd get a better deal?
You don't have to show it to them.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Hencho

Depends on youre state and local laws - In NJ you have to let the other person know that they are being recorded ( as far as i know ) I know that holds true for phone conversations . . but im not sure about in person ones.

If a dealership wants to make the sale, theyll let you tape record it - as they "shouldnt" have anything to be afraid of. if they dont go someplace else.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Enron Exec

I wish I brought a tape recorder.... 8-(

And Hencho, I was sick from some of the garbage posted in this thread. Im not going to point out what, you read and decide for yourself. I think its that obvious. I certainly agree that alot of sales ppl lie to make the sale. I think almost everyone here but 2 ppl can agree with that statment.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Duflacci

Originally posted by iceman58
Duflacci, that is a very bold statement. Why would you buy your car from a liar?
Did I have a choice????...and for those of you who continue to flame me for my opinions or reply with the witty intellectual remarks..... you are immature and need to grow up ...

Originally posted by iceman58
You just showed thid board how ignorant you really are......
And you showed your ignorance by not proof-reading before pressing "Submit Reply"

.....BTW what grade are you in?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:01 AM
G}{H

Update...

I called my salesman again after not hearing from him or the sales manager I spoke to since Thursday.

1 He acknowledged that he promised me my car would have free maintenance for the length of my lease.

2. He explained things got screwed up because of a GM they just got rid of. I let him know I didn't giv a flying rats **** about that I want the bottom line.

3. He promised to call me saturday with a bottom line. I advised him it better be what he promised me. I also told him my lawyer said to make allot of noise by using the news paper and the news. THey love to hear about car lot scams I also asked him to confirm the spelling of his and his Sales managers last names. After he did that I concluded with a nice "kthanksbye"

Quick Reply: What to do when a salesman Lies?