Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Snow fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
v0lc0m|350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline_Burner
SNOW IN OREGON!!! Even in the Valley.... Here's what my Z thought of the weather...

The RE050's don't do ANYTHING in snow. I had to put on the chains to get out of my driveway. It sits in the garage at night, so no snow build up on top. Makes me kinda sick to think of what all the serious temperature changes do to the paint having snow sitting on it :-/ I would leave it in the garage all winter, but I've yet to reach the point where I can afford two cars. Some day.....

The Z is chained up and ready to drive , Car looking good man!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
^ How pathetic a Z car with chains
my first thought was "I need some of those!!"

I got stuck on this hill trying to leave my friends house last week with 4-5 inches of snow...took me about 15-20 runs at it. Finally I made it to the crest...sideways, did a three point turn on the road at the top and got out a there.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 AM
3-fifty-WeEe
Banned

Ya the weather gets so bad here I just put the Z car in storage, PROPERLY.. shes tucked bundled away in the corner with a dose of sta-bil. you guys with leavin them out and drivin them im the winter are nuts!.. LOL the CHAINS are jokes tho, reminds me of that movie. hahahaha we get dumped on huge in the winter, so now I brought out the beast, a 99 grand am lol the red dragon sleighs through the snow !
Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by 3-fifty-WeEe
you guys with leavin them out and drivin them im the winter are nuts!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 AM
eesnas

Originally Posted by Redline_Burner
SNOW IN OREGON!!! Even in the Valley.... Here's what my Z thought of the weather...

The RE050's don't do ANYTHING in snow. I had to put on the chains to get out of my driveway. It sits in the garage at night, so no snow build up on top. Makes me kinda sick to think of what all the serious temperature changes do to the paint having snow sitting on it :-/ I would leave it in the garage all winter, but I've yet to reach the point where I can afford two cars. Some day.....
Nice! I think chains are illegal here but more power to you. My only worry would be one breaking and then whipping the car, but as long as you inspect them you'll be fine, and take it slow on the freeway I guess... I have other ways to get around and now that the garage is cleared out I can tuck it away for big storms but some people think thier car is a Ferrari or something, I see no sin or wrongdoing driving or leaving it out in the snow, these are 'relatively' cheap cars so just drive it!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Konad

What a time for snow in the Portland area. I drove from Bend to West Linn last night in the Z. 3 hour drive took 8.... Now I'm pissed! I cant drive anywhere and my test pipes and y pipe that were going to come via ups are delayed.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Redline_Burner

Originally Posted by 3-fifty-WeEe
LOL the CHAINS are jokes tho, reminds me of that movie. hahahaha
What movie and what are you talking about the chains being a joke? My car won't move without them...

Anyway, I went out with a buddy last night at 2 in the morning so that there wouldn't be any cars out for some snow driving practice...

I don't mean to thread jack OP, haha. But I had to share these. The chains perform amazingly. Even while doing a little bit of drifting in snow packed parking lots....
Old 12-19-2008, 02:04 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

u need to take those chains off and put the Z back in the garage.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by trodis
+1 .. if you really need chains you shouldn't be driving the Z
Old 12-19-2008, 05:27 PM
WiR3D

Didnt he say its his only car?? What else is he supposed to drive if he only has one car and can only afford 1 car? I mean I guess he could get a dog sled.. but.. eh..
Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Mamounas123

Originally Posted by eesnas
Nice! I think chains are illegal here but more power to you. My only worry would be one breaking and then whipping the car, but as long as you inspect them you'll be fine, and take it slow on the freeway I guess... I have other ways to get around and now that the garage is cleared out I can tuck it away for big storms but some people think thier car is a Ferrari or something, I see no sin or wrongdoing driving or leaving it out in the snow, these are 'relatively' cheap cars so just drive it!
I agree 100% I think people over do it. Its only a 30k car not a exotic or anything heck you see people in s550, e55 amgs drivinf them in the winter will all the salt in the ground. Dont get me worng i take care of my car routinly wash it and to prevent rust from starting on the underbody, i sprayed the whole thing under with WD-40 sinces it repels water and salt so it wont rust. Other than that i only drive my car in the winter when the roads are fairly clean.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:42 PM
jbaker1121
Banned

luckly i've got the FX............even though with the 20's it realyl isnt the best in the snow....woot winter wheels! (18"stocks painted black w/blizzaks)
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
orgasm_donor

Spring/Summer car:

$5000 Winter car:

My Z will never see rain or snow.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
BaileyM1

I love how in the first pictures the car is spotless like it was just washed and there's snow everywhere. It's just gave me this weird thought like the Z is just daring the snow to land on it. lol
Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Redline_Burner

Originally Posted by trodis
You need to calm down and learn to enjoy driving in whatever the conditions may be
Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
isktarum

Wow! impressive with the chains! Where'd you pick those up? I tried looking for chains a year ago and couldn't find any that fit the tires on the Z. I ended up buying a new set of wheels and tires for winter instead...

Good on ya to slap on those chains and drive the car in those conditions! The fresh white snow complements the redline quite nicely!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Redline_Burner

Originally Posted by isktarum
Wow! impressive with the chains! Where'd you pick those up? I tried looking for chains a year ago and couldn't find any that fit the tires on the Z. I ended up buying a new set of wheels and tires for winter instead...

They're actually "cables" that fit the "S" Criteria listed in our owners manual as required for use with ONLY the 245 rear tires (basically to make sure that they're not going to expand under the centrifugal force and catch the wheel well of the car). If you have anything bigger it's not recommended. However, they are EXTREMELY easy to put on as chains go and only take about a minute or two to take back off once the conditions are good again. My buddy that works at the local Napa hooked me up with them, just got my friend a set for her Corolla that has 225/45/R17s on it. They run about $33. I'm not sure if they're available everywhere, they're made by a company in Clackamas, Oregon. But I would think they would be sold anywhere chains were legal and Napa existed.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 AM
sandthepilot

Originally Posted by WiR3D
Didnt he say its his only car?? What else is he supposed to drive if he only has one car and can only afford 1 car? I mean I guess he could get a dog sled.. but.. eh..
It definitely is ONLY a car. Again, not everyone has the luxury of putting their cars in the garage or in storage. Some people use their cars as daily drivers. So show the man some props (referring to everyone hating on him for using chains) for actually taking his car out in this type of weather and yes with chains. I am waiting for my chains, but I highly doubt i'll get the chance to use them. I have not driven my Z in a week.

Last edited by sandthepilot; 12-20-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM
sandthepilot

Props to you Redline Burner
Old 12-20-2008, 10:25 AM
sandthepilot

I am looking for a Toyota 4Runner as a second car for weather like this

Quick Reply: Snow fun