2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to take a long road trip....tips please

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 AM
wyoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That blue painter's tape trick is sweet.....if your into showing your car. For me, that would be a monumental waste of money, time and just plain a pain in the ***! Don't get me wrong, I'm a sissy about my car and don't want it f'ed up - I have a clear bra, try to keep it clean, don't drive it in the winter and park it in the garage - but I drive the car. But, simply put, I bought the Z to drive (best thing about the car = fun to drive). If you are are not showing the car, go enjoy it and try not to get too bummed over the occasional rock chips - it's gonna happen! Worst case scenario, you enjoy the car now, but it gets some wear over time from being on the road and you spring for some new paint, or better yet an aftermarket front bumper, down the road. Guaranteed, someone it going to flame my take on this.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

How was the trip?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Nevaland90

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove my Z from NY to FL and back...bring a lot of music, check your tires, wear comfortable clothes, learn to love cruise control, a good co-pilot makes or breaks the trip.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Trip complete. It was awesome...can't wait to do it again! Thanks again for all the tips. We went from Sacramento to Vegas, Vegas to Flagstaff, AZ because I missed the turn to get on I-10 through Highway 93 so ended up running into a blizzard with snow and icy roads and had to spend the night. I have never driven in ice before so I am really lucky that everything was okay. The 350z did a 360 on the highway somehow, but there were no cards behind me. We ended up spending the night right outside of Flagstaff in Bellemont, AZ. The next morning, the roads were still bad but the blizzard had passed, we drove about 30 mins to I-17 towards I-10 and were out of snow. After that it was a smooth trip. Since I was not in a rush to be in South Carolina, I took my time and made the best of it. It took us about 5 days to get to Dallas, TX and then we drove non stop except for gas stops to South Carolina. Total of 6 days.

By the way, I am not sure if it was because its winter time, or I was keeping a decent distance between myself and the other cars, but I got maybe 2 bugs on the windsheild and 0 rock chips. I did not use any painters tape, just plain clear bra. Did spray the car down twice to keep the car looking clean.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Blueknight007

im glad you made it there ok and ib one piece, both of you, so......u got
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by SolarOrangeZ
Trip complete. It was awesome...can't wait to do it again! Thanks again for all the tips. We went from Sacramento to Vegas, Vegas to Flagstaff, AZ because I missed the turn to get on I-10 through Highway 93 so ended up running into a blizzard with snow and icy roads and had to spend the night. I have never driven in ice before so I am really lucky that everything was okay. The 350z did a 360 on the highway somehow, but there were no cards behind me. We ended up spending the night right outside of Flagstaff in Bellemont, AZ. The next morning, the roads were still bad but the blizzard had passed, we drove about 30 mins to I-17 towards I-10 and were out of snow. After that it was a smooth trip. Since I was not in a rush to be in South Carolina, I took my time and made the best of it. It took us about 5 days to get to Dallas, TX and then we drove non stop except for gas stops to South Carolina. Total of 6 days.

By the way, I am not sure if it was because its winter time, or I was keeping a decent distance between myself and the other cars, but I got maybe 2 bugs on the windsheild and 0 rock chips. I did not use any painters tape, just plain clear bra. Did spray the car down twice to keep the car looking clean.
Flagstaff, AZ is mountains (as you now know). Fools lots of drivers in the winter.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Plaski

Went From Richmond VA to Daytona Beach FL 4 years ago the day after Christmas cause of KART racing which I did til it got so expensive.

It said it would take us 12 hours to get there til we hit SNOW in North Carolina and pulling a 32 foot trailer in the snow is NO fun. Took us 17 hours to get to the hotel right outside of the speed way. The trafic was what kept me from losing my mind cause at time we would be at a complete stop on I-95 and Id stop the truck and go in the back to see how the Karts were doing and some kids and parents would talk to me about what I was doing cause they notice the huge racing trailer and stuff.

But after the week down there it took us 9 1/2 to get back. Thank you truckers and CB radios. Averaged 95 mph with the trailer on the way back cause the truckers told me where the cops were and they were 100% right the whole time.

Glad to hear you made it safely back
Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Did the knife come in handy incase of gang rapes?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
whitelightnin

Originally Posted by hndumafia
make sure the spare tire has air in it.
Word. Thats a shitty feeling when you pull out the tire you havent seen in 3 yrs and its completely flat.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Flagstaff, AZ is mountains (as you now know). Fools lots of drivers in the winter.
I'm guessing you're fat. I don't mean that
is a bad thing but clearly you're fat.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 PM
whitelightnin

Originally Posted by surfcity40
no clue what that means?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you do, don't go through crappy parking lots or drive-thrus that have sharp inclines or curbs!!! https://my350z.com/forum/6783006-post866.html

Actually, it looks like you are avoiding Wickenburg, which is well advised! I would definitely get a list of numbers you might need just in case. For instance, insurance, AAA, towing company, whatever. If you bring them, you'll probably never need them, but the one time you forget them, you'll need one or all of them (trust me...last weekend was a biotch!).

Actually, the advice on here is good. I'd also be sure you know your limits. If you tend to get tired after a few hours on the highway, take a break at any available rest areas to stretch and get your energy level up. Be safe and have fun.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by surfcity40
You lost me on that one.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whitelightnin
Word. Thats a shitty feeling when you pull out the tire you havent seen in 3 yrs and its completely flat.
You have a spare tire?!?! LOL. I haven't had one of those since day 1. I forgot that the Z comes with one.