Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to take a long road trip....tips please

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:55 AM
SolarOrangeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to take a long road trip....tips please

I am driving my Z from Sacramento, CA to South Carolina.

I am using trippish for directions w/ weather. link

Looks like I'll have good weather the whole trip.

The car has new oil so I'll do a oil change after I get to SC.

I have clear bra on my car but for extra protection I am trying to get my hands on a nose mask for the Z. If I don't find anything on here by next week I'll just go pick one up at the dealership.

Its a 48 hour drive, I'll probably make stops every 12 or so hours to rest.

I have never done such a long drive before, just though I'd ask on here, maybe something I haven't though off will come up.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 AM
KenTuckyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your tire pressure. Don't nap in rest areas lest you desire being gang raped.
Don't forget your favorite cd's. A small jug of mouthwash is always good on road trips.
Extra pocket change. Snacks are cheaper bought in bulk than at the road side stations.
Tie your shoes before fill ups incase you get jumped by a roving band of desperados. It's winter time so a bic lighter is always a good thing to have. Pack extra undies in case there's an accident. Cause 1st you say it..., then you do it. Your mom will probably remind you of that.
The following users liked this post:
Takumi86 (06-28-2022)
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice. I drove from Georgia to Texas. Long as haul.

Make sure you don't sleep in rest areas. There are State Patrol officers at most now days though...I would use a McDonald's or Walmart.

Enjoy the ride and how the car loves the road! I really enjoyed my long trip.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Blueknight007

are you travelling alone?

blankets, cell charger for the car, license and regi, ins papers (cops like when you have those ) you are on a z so some them thar good ol' boys might want to see that fancy city ride is leegit..

if you can get your hands on a cb radio get one, i used to have one on my altima when i used to drive from long island (NY) to charlotte (NC) you can also call for help from the drivers in case you're being gang raped at a rest stop, and they will point out the "smokeys" for you in case temptation gets the best of you...

thats all i can think of for now....

Last edited by Blueknight007; 12-20-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Z04

from a google search on this subject:

Step1-Decide when to go. If you have no time constraints, time your trip to coincide with special events or festivals along the way, or with seasons that provide opportunities for special sight-seeing or recreational activities.

Step2-Buy a map or purchase a software program and plan your route. Also consider joining the American Automobile Association (AAA) and obtaining TourBooks, which are invaluable resources for planning a cross-country trip.

Step3-Consider joining clubs such as AAA and AARP, which provide lodging and attraction discounts at various destinations. You will save money in the long run. Carry your membership card with you on the trip.

Step4-Make a list of sights you definitely want to see. Figure out how far off the beaten path you'll have to go and calculate the time you'll likely spend sight-seeing. Figure this into your daily travel distance and time.

Step5-Make camping or lodging reservations before you go if you want to be guaranteed a place to stay every night. If you prefer a certain chain, call and ask for a free national directory to be sent to you well in advance of your trip.

Step6-Have your car fully serviced before you leave. Ask your mechanic if there any potential problems you should be aware of. Plan to bring tools, a spare tire, a fan belt, and in summer, spare radiator hoses with you on your trip.

Step7-Buy some trip food. Nutritious snacks and plenty of water are extremely important when you are going to spend long hours in the car. Try to keep the junk food to a minimum.

Step8-Pack up and leave early in the day with a full tank of gas. Drive in short shifts of 1 to 4 hours, with frequent rest breaks. Continue until your gas tank is half-empty, then stop and refill.

Step9-Try to limit your daily driving to no more than 600 miles - or 10 hours - per day. Use this formula when scheduling lodging stops.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:24 AM
KenTuckyZ

Originally Posted by Blueknight007
are you travelling alone?

blankets, cell charger for the car, license and regi, ins papers (cops like when you have those ) you are on a z so some them thar good ol' boys might want to see that fancy city ride is leegit..

if you can get your hands on a cb radio get one, i used to have one on my altima when i used to drive from long island (NY) to charlotte (NC) you can also call for help from the drivers in case you're being gang raped at a rest stop, and they will point out the "smokeys" for you in case temptation gets the best of you...

thats all i can think of for now....

What if it's the truckers gang raping you
Old 12-20-2008, 07:13 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

make sure the spare tire has air in it. take some tools, a knife, cell phone charger. avoid routes where you may run into snow.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 AM
my350isblack

remember your going from one warm place to another, but inbetween there is coldness. thats all i got
Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM
THe Emperor

Carry a gun.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:38 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:56 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

48hrs? wow i hope everthing goes well.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:08 AM
davidv

Forecast looks good but be prepared. Storms in Oklahoma for example can be a SOB.

Flagstaff, AZ is at 7,000 feet. Any participation after midnight will be snow.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Blueknight007

Originally Posted by KenTuckyZ
What if it's the truckers gang raping you
u can use the police band
Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by my350isblack
inbetween there is coldness.
So true. Members who live in Kansas and Oklahoma can tell you about 2 inch snow storms with 2 foot drifts!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Phreakdout

Thumbs up

A trip that long and you're going to go through so desolate areas. There's not a lot of room in the Z for packing everything that you could possibly need for every situation.

Sorry this is a book. I take a lot of long drives so I hope some of this helps.

First of all, the Z is not going to fall apart on you. But be smart about checking out the car before you leave.

Tires: How is the tread? Get underneath or remove the tires and inspect. You may miss seeing a air blister on the inside sidewall, the beginning of tread separation or some camber issues unless you (not the tire guy at Walmart) look over every inch of the tire.

(I missed an air blister on an older Z I had. This is a tire that has inner layers separating but not leaking yet. It's a weak spot that is about to blow. What's worse is I discovered it just after a trip to Deal's Gap and riding the Dragon for hours. That could have been a disaster.)

Check the spare as well. Wouldn't it suck to install the spare out on the side of the road and find out the previous owner never fixed a leak in it?

I keep a can of Fix-a-Flat in the spare tire well. Yes it's a dorky product but you never know when it will save you. (Or a pretty blonde on the side of the road.)

Oil: I always have one or two quarts of oil handy. I store one next to the battery under the cover. I probably could fit one next to the master cylinder under the brake box cover.

Just in Case: Get a leatherman or swiss army knife. I like Leatherman better for the pliers. This is handy for all sorts of things.

Bring just basic tools. There's only so much you can do on the side of a road or in a truck stop. Socket set with extensions. (8mm, 10mm, 11, 12 and 14mm should do) Adjustable wrench, pliers, screwdrivers and tin snips or something able to cut thin metal, hoses or plastic trim. Pack a tire gage as well.

Heavy Duty Gorilla Tape Crap happens. You hit a truck tire tread and crack the front bumper or the sideskirt is half hanging off. The tape may be enough to get you down the road to where you can properly fix it.

Painter's Tape If you're serious about saving the paint and not caring about how the car looks during the trip, use the blue painter's tape. Lots of car guys wrap the front end up like a Mummy in this stuff and it will not harm your paint. A buddy of mine who drives to a lot of car shows wraps his half way up the hood. He buys the tape in bulk. Sure, it looks wierd but his paint job is still perfect.

Check Fluids Check coolant levels. When's the last time you checked the differential. Auto trans? Check that. (Is it time to change any of these fluids?)

Windshield washer fluid can easily be found anywhere. Just keep the tank full. Make sure the wipers are in good shape before you leave.

Alignment: How is this? Bad alignment can eat up gas mileage and be a pain on those long lonely roads.

Entertainment: By the time you hit 1,000 miles, you will be sick of every CD you own. Assume this before you leave. Make a trip to the record store and buy a bunch of new music. (Or download a bunch.) Don't listen to it until you get on the road. Stick to up beat music that keeps the adreneline going. Slow sappy music will make you sleepy and the trip will seem longer.

Satellite Radio or IPOD Adapters
If you have any sort of long commute, you might want to consider satellite radio. The nice thing about it on long cross country drives is the variety. You may find music you'd forgotten about. It helps the miles click by. Best Buy will install one pretty cheap if you don't have the time before you leave. If there's a problem with it, you can have Best Buy take care of it at any store.

I have the USA-Spec IPOD adapter and I love it. (With my stock stereo) Super easy to install and the regular stereo / steering wheel controls will control your IPOD. The IPOD stays in my console box out of view and is constantly charged by the car. I don't have to touch it.

Drinks / snacks Got one or two mini-coolers. Keep one within reach and one out of the way.

I drink sports drinks but I keep a Red Bull or two handy in case I need something to get be another 10 miles safely to a hotel. I like SmartWater which has electrolytes in it. Seems to keep me on my game without sugar or caffine rushes.

For snacks: You will get bored of snacks quickly. Make them plain staples not meals. Good homemade beef jerkey packs well and will keep you chewing for miles. It can help stave off that next meal for a little while longer. You can find this in tourist shops. (Like in Truckee just outside Reno.) You will pass there.

Trail mix is good, but you will drop nuts and such between the seats in your car. Chocolate is also a bad and messy enemy of your interior. French frys have evil salt that dehydrates you and gets everywhere in the car. Pretzel sticks and twizzlers are good as they are long and easy to handle with little mess or sticky fingers. (Yuck on the steering wheel)

Cleaners: You will spill something or the car will get covered in dirt, bugs, tar, vanilla shake, etc... Look for small sample sizes and use them at the gas stations. Clean up the car every chance you have. Glass cleaner, wheel cleaner, paint cleaner (get the large Meguier's spray bottle for touch ups before car shows. Careful, it leaks out when you lay it on its side.)

Bring a GOOD camera
Keep your Z clean for photo ops. You are going through some beautiful country. Take your time. Plan out your route and research what there is to see. Alternate highway and scenic routes.

The best pics are when you have the sun behind you and it's late in the day. (Just before sunset and the lighting is low in the sky.) If you have a 35mm SLR, get a circular polarizing filter. (Maybe $35) Rotate the lines on the filter until it makes bright spots disappear on your photo and tint looks super dark.

Few people have a chance to do this kind of trip. Document it with photos. When I make the trip someday, I will take photos of the car in as many different locations as possible. (Desert, high mountains, praries, corn fields, old cities, etc..) Don't just shoot the car, get shots of the people you see and the little details that capture your attention.

Afterwards, you can have the photos laid out and published into a hardbound coffee table book that is a photo journal of your adventure. This can be done online and mailed to you. My wife scrapbooks and Creative Memories has this option to do it digitally.

Take your time! Add a few extra days so you can take your time. Go see the largest ball of twine on earth. Venture up and see the Badlands. When will you have a chance to do things like this again? It doesn't have to be too expensive.

If hotels are too expensive, consider a pop-up tent and a sleeping bag. You can plan out any campgrounds on your route that might be near the interstate. Look into self erecting pop up tents like this one: Pop up 2 person tent It folds flat and is only 6 pounds for $129.

Weapons: If you do decide to carry a weapon, consult with your local police department on how to transport it legally. Always alert the officer you have a firearm being legally transported should you get pulled over. They are OK with that so long as you tell them. In fact, they may appreciate it and go easier on you. I usually advise against weapons. Be smart and you won't need a weapon.

Money Assume you will lose your wallet. I never have but what would you do if you did? Make a photo copy of your driver's license, insurance card, registration and credit card info in case you have to report them lost or stolen. Attach this to the bottom of the passenger seat or hide it in the spare tire well in an envelope. If you leave it out and the car is broken into, then the thief has all this info so you want to put it somewhere it is unlikely to be found but still accessable to you.)

I'd also keep $500 - $1000 in cash in this envelope. This is money above and beyond your travel money. Consider it insurance. In addition, put a credit card with open balance. If you have a big repair problem on the road, this little nest egg can save you. If you lose your wallet, then you can still finish the trip on the credit card and cash. If you end up not using it, good for you. Hopefully it won't be needed for bail money either.

Medical: This sounds mobid but take it for what it's worth. Always have your health insurance card in your wallet under the driver's license. I also have my Red Cross blood doner's card there to identify my blood type. Paramedics always check the wallet for vital information. It wouldn't hurt to put a piece of paper in behind the wallet with this information and sign it giving concent to treat you. Make sure you acknowledge allergies (if you do or do not have them) or any existing conditions or medication. Have emergency contact info on this as well in case power of attorney is needed and you are non-responsive.

Good luck on your journey. Do a lot of preparation for it. Pack just what you need and try not to overload the car.

This is usually a once in a lifetime adventure. Take advantage of it and enjoy the ride because the next time you do it, it may be in a station wagon with screaming kids and a nagging wife.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Phreakdout

EDIT: I just saw your route. (So ignore my suggestion to stop in Trukee) Very interesting. You should try to see if you cross RT66 at any point. Lots of books on stuff to see.

Not sure if this is one way, but if not, consider alternate routes for the return. Although there are not a lot of options when you need to avoid snow and bad weather in a Z.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Blueknight007

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Not sure if this is one way, but if not, consider alternate routes for the return. Although there are not a lot of options when you need to avoid snow and bad weather in a Z.

good idea
Old 12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

See you in a few days!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:04 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Trying to make that drive in 48 hours is insanity. Are you going solo?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:04 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
EDIT: I just saw your route. (So ignore my suggestion to stop in Trukee) Very interesting. You should try to see if you cross RT66 at any point. Lots of books on stuff to see.

I10 is an alternative.

Quick Reply: About to take a long road trip....tips please