Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

"supercar" status

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 08:00 AM
perucho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "supercar" status

what is it required in order for a car to become a supercar? how much horsepower? how fast? ect.

Anyone know? Also, can the Z ever have a supercar status if it was modified enough?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:12 AM
WashUJon

I think the money factor is a big part of the equation. The term "supercar" is subjective, but it usually refers to exotics. Although, the Z06 Corvette isn't an exotic, but its usuallly referred to as a "supercar". I'd say the formula is a mixture of very high end performance, exclusivity (low production), the way they are produced (exotics are usually hand-made), the materials used in production, prestige and price. All factors may be a bit variable, but again, its subjective.

I don't see the Z as a "supercar", no matter how much its modified. Even an amazingly fast Z is still a Z. Its a great achievement and a car worthy of praise, but I wouldn't necessarily ever call even a highly modded Z a "supercar".

Another thing is that the term "supercar" usually seems to refer to cars that have that subjective status out of the box. That's partly why my own opinion is to exclude modded cars. Any car can be made fast. Is a modded Metro that can pull really fast 1/4 mile times a "supercar"? I wouldn't think so. But that's my opinion.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 AM
gooters

^ Ditto. A 10 second Pinto simply isn't a supercar. A stock Porsche GT2 IS!
Old 08-26-2003, 09:54 AM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "supercar" status

Originally posted by perucho
what is it required in order for a car to become a supercar? how much horsepower? how fast? ect.

Anyone know? Also, can the Z ever have a supercar status if it was modified enough?
Just put this on the hood
Attached Thumbnails "supercar" status-superman-20logo.jpg  
Old 08-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Marc's R/T

Huge power, performance and a price tag that the masses can't touch. Most of the cars that have that combo also have a some sort of racing history as well. Ferrari and Porsche have decades of racing history behind them and Lamborghini has been an exotic since the mid 70's.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:02 PM
bixby

I say DrBonz's car rates a "Supercar Status". Very tastefully modded, beautifully maintained and it's a now rare Brickyard ...........Besides, he paid me $20.00 bucks for the nomination.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:15 PM
300ZX

if i had the option of a Z or an NSX, i would get the NSX because it is an exotic supercar, regardless that it has the same hp, and less torque. look at a super car, and if you can, drive one, and you'll realize why their supercars. the Z may have good performance, but the fact of the matter is, its a cost-cutting masterpiece with countless parts, including the engine being shared in everything from sedans to SUVs to minivans. supercars dont just have to be fast, they have to be unique, as well as timeless design. the NSX has been around since 1991 with no body changes other than new headlights/taillights last year. the flashy new space-ship design of the Z (and all other new nissans, exterior and interior) seems like its a fad that will pass in a few years whereas most other companies make a design that holds its beauty for years and years. iduno, im kind of rambling, but it just seems rediculous to call a $30k mass marketed nissan a supercar. when i think of supercar, i think of NSX, 911TT, Diablo, Murcielago, 360 Modena, Viper, McLaren, Enzo.... not 350Z. sorry guys.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:52 PM
bixby

Originally posted by 300ZX
if i had the option of a Z or an NSX, i would get the NSX because it is an exotic supercar, regardless that it has the same hp, and less torque. look at a super car, and if you can, drive one, and you'll realize why their supercars. the Z may have good performance, but the fact of the matter is, its a cost-cutting masterpiece with countless parts, including the engine being shared in everything from sedans to SUVs to minivans. supercars dont just have to be fast, they have to be unique, as well as timeless design. the NSX has been around since 1991 with no body changes other than new headlights/taillights last year. the flashy new space-ship design of the Z (and all other new nissans, exterior and interior) seems like its a fad that will pass in a few years whereas most other companies make a design that holds its beauty for years and years. iduno, im kind of rambling, but it just seems rediculous to call a $30k mass marketed nissan a supercar. when i think of supercar, i think of NSX, 911TT, Diablo, Murcielago, 360 Modena, Viper, McLaren, Enzo.... not 350Z. sorry guys.
Pardon me? Each of these as well as the Fairlady's before them are unique classy, stylish and timeless. Regardless of whether or not their motor's were used in a multitude of mass produced cars. The NSX is a nice car but WAY over priced for what it has to offer. JMHO
Attached Thumbnails "supercar" status-3ladys2.jpg  
Old 08-26-2003, 03:45 PM
300ZX

oh, no doubt the z is an amazing car, im just saying, in comparisson to real supercars, it is nothing near it. and as for the nsx, once reserch about it you realize why its costs what it does, and once you drive one, you realize how spectacular of a machine it really is. if you think 90k is too much, there are pleanty of older nsxs with decent milage for anywhere from 30k to 60k. which isnt bad at all for that car. plus, its a honda, making it the most relyable, easy to drive exotic ever made.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Bix. By the way, that's cash remember....I don't take checks!
Old 08-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Attached Thumbnails "supercar" status-supercar-copy.jpg  
Old 08-26-2003, 06:21 PM
bixby

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Thanks Bix. By the way, that's cash remember....I don't take checks!
Thats perfect!

And no Doc. I said you payed ME 20 bucks. Nice try though. Besides I've contributed more than my fair share to your profession. Lookin to get a little back

Last edited by bixby; 08-26-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:33 PM
bixby

Originally posted by 300ZX
oh, no doubt the z is an amazing car, im just saying, in comparisson to real supercars, it is nothing near it. and as for the nsx, once reserch about it you realize why its costs what it does, and once you drive one, you realize how spectacular of a machine it really is. if you think 90k is too much, there are pleanty of older nsxs with decent milage for anywhere from 30k to 60k. which isnt bad at all for that car. plus, its a honda, making it the most relyable, easy to drive exotic ever made.
Okay. I partly agree. In fact one of my friends has a beautiful used NSX. It is a beautiful car and it handles extremely well. When he gets it to 370,000 miles (like my 87) then I may agree that it is ONE of the most reliable exotics ever made. I love the lines and would probably own one (if I had a bigger garage) but I don't feel it's $60,000.00 better than the Z. I honestly think the cars are pretty much on the same level performance wise. Now I do agree with you that the lambo's, lotus', high end porches etc. are way above the Z and are in a class by themselves.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:44 PM
perucho

so why is a corvette sometimes considered a "supercar" if it's only like 10k more than a Z (track)? How much better is it? Are you telling me they (chevrolet) is putting the best materials to this car? I don't think so. I completely agree with everyone's opinion about a Z not being a supercar. I kind of new the answer to my own question but just wanted to hear it from you guys as well. But really, why is a corvette considered a supercar?

BTW, I'm not saying it shoudn't be, I'm just curious
Old 08-27-2003, 10:25 AM
WashUJon

The Corvette has some of the factors in the formula, like great performance, terrific heritage and, to some extent, exclusivity. Its not really in the same league as the real supercars but its the iconic American sports car.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

This is a Nissan SuperCar

http://www.jbskyline.net/V35/GTR/

My Z, is a work of art for a very reasonably priced amount... everyone wants one!....and most can buy one.

Super Car, everybody wants one, only the rich can get them!

If you hold true to that equation, parts, styling, power, speed are all elements of Price...
Old 08-27-2003, 03:28 PM
eskimo

I think it's all about stock trackability. Every car specifically mentioned here has been able to more than hold its own on the track stock, and dominate in a modified form. But definatlly exclusivity of a brand or model (in the case of the NSX and Skyline). Price usually plays into it heavily but a Bentley, at least not the rapper style is not a supercar. The Le Mans ones are a different story.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:49 PM
qirex

cmon guys....this one is simple. Supercars are all about $$$$$ and exclusivisty (in addition to mad perf).
Old 08-27-2003, 11:57 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

tthe corvette is only a supercar if you have a mullet, to the rest of the world its just a nice sports car
ive heard many times over, the only american supercar is the saleen s7,
rx thats a concept car not a supercar, a nissan supercar would be one of the small number of road legal(in japan) r390s
qirex youve pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:50 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Who cares what the world thinks? I think my car is "SUUUUPERRRR!"

Whether it's an exotic or not ... well, all that is subjective.