Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

break in period

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 12:52 PM
qcrobinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in period

Ack...sorry meant to put this in general...please move as necessary..

Ok, disclaimer: I know I was a bit ignorant in buying my Z...here's my question:

What negative impact to the engine takes place if you ignore the break in period?

Background:
I test drove the performance model; had about 120 miles on it. I brought it up rapidly on several occasions to high speeds. The salesman also had few anecdotes about how some other test drivers really put it through its paces.

I asked the guy about a break in period, and he said he didn't know of any. I was too trusting, figuring not all cars needed one (never bought a new car before). They were out of owner's manuals (they still haven't sent mine to me, about to call their GM now). I've been leasing it for about a month and plan to buy it out eventually (maybe a year).

Last edited by qcrobinson; 09-04-2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people recommend the standard 1,000 mile break in or you will have catastrophic damage at worst or bad rings or such earlier than it should happen.

However, I don't believe this and neither do most of the engine builders that I've asked. The purpose of a break in period, or I should say one of the theories, is to seat rings, clean up debris from the build process, seat valves, and whatnot. I and many of the engine builders I have spoke with believe that modern engines need so little break in that its not worth thinking about. With my inferior Sentra Spec V I let it rip right out of the dealership parking lot and so far I'm getting better mileage and better performance than most people on the Sentra forums.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Subbacultcha

nice discussion of it here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=40921
Old 09-04-2003, 04:04 PM
PA_Z

yeah i raped my z from after 200ish miles and she pulls on all z's among other weaker breeds..
Old 09-05-2003, 06:50 AM
qcrobinson

Guys, thanks alot for the responses. Doesn't sound like too huge a concern but if I buy this thing out its gonna be in the back of my mind....especially if I pick up a tt.